Anon Takes Down Government Site Over Aaron Swartz's Death

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]most people appeal their case they don't kill themselves , he was a pussy and a coward because he killed himself instead of facing life. Sure it's sad , but please cry me a river , this not some nutty teen that just got depressed and offed him/herself , this is a weak man that did some crime and then decided it was easier to kill himself than face or fight the charges any more. and the anonymous guys are also pussies and cowards too because all they do is hide behing a computer to make hack attacks on others. now go ahead and thumb me down , but I HAVE NO sympathy for this guy , and I have nothing but contempt toward Anonymous .[/citation]
If it was your son I'm sure you would have felt differently.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
To those saying that you shouldn't break the law if you can't handle the time, if a law is unjust then it is the responsibility of citizens to take action against it. As someone above mentioned, the civil rights movement was illegal. If people just sit back and let the corporations/politicians/1% dictate the laws that will ensure they gain more wealth and power (at the expense of the rest of us) then we all suffer. Someone needs to take a stand and Swartz did just that. He is a hero who deserved better than to be made an example of by a corrupt government.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]dark_wizzie[/nom]WTF is wrong with you? The magnitude of punishment did not balance according to what he did! A kid dies because people are computer-phobic. He would have gotten a lighter sentence if he killed somebody.I stole a piece of candy when I was 6. Do I deserve 35 years in prision? Stop stealing shit and you'll be fine, you say...[/citation]

god some of you people are such failures at life, he took papers on how to enrich uranium build a better nuclear bomb, missile technology to deliver it and other things to power and build not only nukes but rail guns and other stuff and then he distributed it all over the world, including to iran and china and north korea, pakistan, afganistan, iraq andthe muslim brotherhood as well as al queda, that was treason punishable by immediate death to be carried out by any officer of the united states no trial required.

be glad they were letting him run free and taking him to court on LESSER charges

18 USC § 2381 - Treason
Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2381

Vol. 2, No. 13 of Jeff Cooper’s Commentaries published in October 1994, Cooper wrote, “Since we are informed that these black ninja [federal government] helicopters do not in fact exist, we may infer that if you shoot one down it does not count.”

that can be interpreted many ways, but the last time i heard that used was against a spy for another country caught trying to walk out with some classified material from a federal institution as guards were pointing a weapon at the spy and a dog was pinning the spy to the ground.

that was before NDAA. anon is made up of people not protected by the american constitution any ways since alot of them are foreigners.

saidge

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Think about it... most folks her think it is no big deal if someone hacks into someone's computer.Well, let's hear what you have to say if I hack into YOUR computer, download some very personal photos you took of your wife or GF, a copy of your bank statements and other misc. items. Then let the whining start.If you break into my stuff...be prepared for the consequences.[/citation]

Dude, someone could break into your home and take every single thing in it and face a maximum of 20 years in prison (which, mind you, practically never happens.) Someone could break into a corporate business office and steal all of their stuff and they would face a far lesser *maximum* prison sentence, provided they committed no crimes other than burglary and theft.

This company lost effectively nothing. My grandparents use to do worse before they died: rent netflix dvd's and make copies before sending them back and share them with friends. 10 years later I still remember the stack of dvd binders filled with stolen movies.

Still, I'll take a thousand pirates for every muderer. I'll take a hundred hackers for every burglar.

Actually I'm exaggerating. Give me a world full of software pirates and computer hackers, if it means there is no killing or violent crime in the world and no one steals anything they can't just make copies of.

Sounds like a better world to me.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]dark_wizzie[/nom]You insesitive fuck.It takes major balls to end your life, your primal instincts kick in. Don't act like you know jackshit about suicide.[/citation]
Is that you Lanza?

G

f-14
"
god some of you people are such failures at life, he took papers on how to enrich uranium build a better nuclear bomb, missile technology to deliver it and other things to power and build not only nukes but rail guns and other stuff and then he distributed it all over the world, including to iran and china and north korea, pakistan, afganistan, iraq andthe muslim brotherhood as well as al queda, that was treason punishable by immediate death to be carried out by any officer of the united states no trial required."

0.o What the hell are you smoking? Are people on Tom's really THAT stupid?

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]f-14[/nom]god some of you people are such failures at life, he took papers on how to enrich uranium build a better nuclear bomb, missile technology to deliver it and other things to power and build not only nukes but rail guns and other stuff and then he distributed it all over the world, including to iran and china and north korea, pakistan, afganistan, iraq andthe muslim brotherhood as well as al queda, that was treason punishable by immediate death to be carried out by any officer of the united states no trial required.be glad they were letting him run free and taking him to court on LESSER charges18 USC § 2381 - TreasonWhoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States. http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2381 Vol. 2, No. 13 of Jeff Cooper’s Commentaries published in October 1994, Cooper wrote, “Since we are informed that these black ninja [federal government] helicopters do not in fact exist, we may infer that if you shoot one down it does not count.”that can be interpreted many ways, but the last time i heard that used was against a spy for another country caught trying to walk out with some classified material from a federal institution as guards were pointing a weapon at the spy and a dog was pinning the spy to the ground.that was before NDAA. anon is made up of people not protected by the american constitution any ways since alot of them are foreigners.[/citation]
Stop smoking crack or whatever you're smoking. Where did you got the idea he took papers on how to build nuclear weapons, missiles and rail guns? Also the works he downloaded from JSTOR wasn't distributed.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]f-14[/nom]god some of you people are such failures at life, he took papers on how to enrich uranium build a better nuclear bomb, missile technology to deliver it and other things to power and build not only nukes but rail guns and other stuff and then he distributed it all over the world, including to iran and china and north korea, pakistan, afganistan, iraq andthe muslim brotherhood as well as al queda, that was treason punishable by immediate death to be carried out by any officer of the united states no trial required.be glad they were letting him run free and taking him to court on LESSER charges18 USC § 2381 - TreasonWhoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States. http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2381 Vol. 2, No. 13 of Jeff Cooper’s Commentaries published in October 1994, Cooper wrote, “Since we are informed that these black ninja [federal government] helicopters do not in fact exist, we may infer that if you shoot one down it does not count.”that can be interpreted many ways, but the last time i heard that used was against a spy for another country caught trying to walk out with some classified material from a federal institution as guards were pointing a weapon at the spy and a dog was pinning the spy to the ground.that was before NDAA. anon is made up of people not protected by the american constitution any ways since alot of them are foreigners.[/citation]
Holy crap, where are you getting this information? You are so incredibly misinformed I don't even know where to begin and I highly doubt it'll be worth my time anyway because it'll go against your pre-conceived ideology regarding this matter that is clearly tainting your view.

JSTOR articles are extremely easy to access for anyone its hardly like you're getting into some super secret database of doomsday device plans. Hell, all you (or any terrorist/communist/muslim boogeyman you can imagine) has to do is go to a public university that offers public access to it and you're in, for free. All the charges he was facing was due to the fact he abused his access (he actually was a legitimate user before he started using a webspider) and violated ToA. The gov't used that violation of ToA to classify him as an unauthorized user and thus a hacker (his 'hacking' was barely hacking anyway, he spoofed a mac address and plugged into a network jack). JSTOR's opinion on the entire matter was to ban him and basically say 'don't do it again, we aren't PACER'.

Everything he was charged with related to the CFAA, there were absolutely no terrorism, treason or any such other charges, which you can easily verify by looking at the publicly available indictments (not to mention that the doomsday scenarios you mention about uranium purification, rail guns, et al are hardly super secret technologies at this point, especially to China). Besides, I'm sure someone bent on blowing up things with nuclear bombs probably already has a subscription to Science and Nature (and the other relevant journals) and has access to this info already. Considering building a functional doomsday weapon is at least a multi-billion dollar project, the 200 $/yr subscriptions for relevant journals are probably within the budget.

This isn't the first time the gov't has used the ToA to go after someone with felony charges, technically, using a pseudonym on myspace violates ToA, making you an unauthorized user (which the gov't can and has used to pursue felony charges).

Now, to ask if what he did was wrong? oh hell yeah it was. After they kicked him off the first time he spoofed his mac address (basically like making a new account on a forum you've been banned from) and did it again. They booted him again and he went into a network closet, plugged directly into a network jack and proceeded to do it again. Pretty clearly, after he did it the first time he was in the wrong for doing it again, and he was really in the wrong for plugging into the network closet (which he knew since he covered his face). I guess his success with the PACER free access emboldened him to do it with JSTOR. He definitely should have spent some time in jail, for trespassing, but all of the CFAA 13 felonies crap is nonsense considering it's a publicly accessible system.

Maybe the gov't should spend more time focusing on HSBC and it knowingly laundering Mexican drug cartel money or the LIBOR manipulations that have been going on since the late 1990s and costing us trillions of dollars. After it gets those things out of the way maybe we can start going after some of the American companies who have been violating the Iran embargo via subsidiaries to the tune of $100B over the last decade helping them to develop oil, gas and nuclear technologies. Maybe, just maybe, after that, and a few other things, we can start worrying about hackers downloading publicly funded academic articles.

ginthegit

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
[citation][nom]Chetou[/nom]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoPgFA5AkUYhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a91WYyhnCP0[/citation]

Let us have a look at this. Someone reveals the Truth about the Government, showing that they are doing Illigal actions = 35 Years in Prison

Pros = We know about something that our own government is doing that is illigal

Cons= Government is proven to have too much power and abusing it for unknown ends.

Killing someone = 20 years

Pros = None

Cons = One less potential useful individual is lost and another is locked away from many years creating two problems for society.

Yes... this must be fair!

ginthegit

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
[citation][nom]ubercake[/nom]Is that you Lanza?[/citation]
Agreed, if the world was full of hackers, everyone would know everything... Effectively other crimes cease to exist... Sure lack of Privicy, but it applies to anyone, and only those doing Illigal things worry about it.

ginthegit

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
[citation][nom]saidge[/nom]Dude, someone could break into your home and take every single thing in it and face a maximum of 20 years in prison (which, mind you, practically never happens.) Someone could break into a corporate business office and steal all of their stuff and they would face a far lesser *maximum* prison sentence, provided they committed no crimes other than burglary and theft. This company lost effectively nothing. My grandparents use to do worse before they died: rent netflix dvd's and make copies before sending them back and share them with friends. 10 years later I still remember the stack of dvd binders filled with stolen movies.Still, I'll take a thousand pirates for every muderer. I'll take a hundred hackers for every burglar. Actually I'm exaggerating. Give me a world full of software pirates and computer hackers, if it means there is no killing or violent crime in the world and no one steals anything they can't just make copies of. Sounds like a better world to me.[/citation]

Yes because America doesn't interfer in other contries politics. If all contries were representant of people, America would be one of the First in Jail with the Longest of sentances!

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]maestintaolius[/nom]Holy crap, where are you getting this information? You are so incredibly misinformed I don't even know where to begin and I highly doubt it'll be worth my time anyway because it'll go against your pre-conceived ideology regarding this matter that is clearly tainting your view. JSTOR articles are extremely easy to access for anyone its hardly like you're getting into some super secret database of doomsday device plans. Hell, all you (or any terrorist/communist/muslim boogeyman you can imagine) has to do is go to a public university that offers public access to it and you're in, for free. All the charges he was facing was due to the fact he abused his access (he actually was a legitimate user before he started using a webspider) and violated ToA. The gov't used that violation of ToA to classify him as an unauthorized user and thus a hacker (his 'hacking' was barely hacking anyway, he spoofed a mac address and plugged into a network jack). JSTOR's opinion on the entire matter was to ban him and basically say 'don't do it again, we aren't PACER'.Everything he was charged with related to the CFAA, there were absolutely no terrorism, treason or any such other charges, which you can easily verify by looking at the publicly available indictments (not to mention that the doomsday scenarios you mention about uranium purification, rail guns, et al are hardly super secret technologies at this point, especially to China). Besides, I'm sure someone bent on blowing up things with nuclear bombs probably already has a subscription to Science and Nature (and the other relevant journals) and has access to this info already. Considering building a functional doomsday weapon is at least a multi-billion dollar project, the 200 $/yr subscriptions for relevant journals are probably within the budget. This isn't the first time the gov't has used the ToA to go after someone with felony charges, technically, using a pseudonym on myspace violates ToA, making you an unauthorized user (which the gov't can and has used to pursue felony charges).Now, to ask if what he did was wrong? oh hell yeah it was. After they kicked him off the first time he spoofed his mac address (basically like making a new account on a forum you've been banned from) and did it again. They booted him again and he went into a network closet, plugged directly into a network jack and proceeded to do it again. Pretty clearly, after he did it the first time he was in the wrong for doing it again, and he was really in the wrong for plugging into the network closet (which he knew since he covered his face). I guess his success with the PACER free access emboldened him to do it with JSTOR. He definitely should have spent some time in jail, for trespassing, but all of the CFAA 13 felonies crap is nonsense considering it's a publicly accessible system.Maybe the gov't should spend more time focusing on HSBC and it knowingly laundering Mexican drug cartel money or the LIBOR manipulations that have been going on since the late 1990s and costing us trillions of dollars. After it gets those things out of the way maybe we can start going after some of the American companies who have been violating the Iran embargo via subsidiaries to the tune of $100B over the last decade helping them to develop oil, gas and nuclear technologies. Maybe, just maybe, after that, and a few other things, we can start worrying about hackers downloading publicly funded academic articles.[/citation]

First off building a railgun isn't that hard, I could probably do it myself given the parts, it wouldn't be anything like the Navy's trying to make but it would be a small railgun the rectifier and doors.

Second you forgot why the government went after him, it was most likely because he has a link to WikiLeaks and they really hate that website. Hell my government hates whistleblowers piriod. Because they couldn't it the WikiLeaks founder they're going after anyone who contributes to it.

Again I said I would say this with every post I make to this thread I hate my government.
No longer is representing we the people but we the corporations. If anyone committed treason it's politicians.

Status
Not open for further replies.