another "help me pick a laptop" thread

Saintlygun

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013
1. What is your budget?

Around $1200

2. What is the6 size of the notebook that you are considering?

A good sized one? As long as the performance of the laptop is really good. Size won't matter

3. What screen resolution do you want?

Not to tech savvy so for the sake ofit the best I can get for my budget

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Desktop replacement

5. How much battery life do you need?

Really doesn't matter I guess since I'll always be near an outlet but a good battery life wouldn't hurt.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Being that battlefield 4 is the most power hungry game as far as I know if say high settings.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Maybe some video editing but mostly gaming and just casual use.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

1 tb

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

I'm actually using my credit through best buy for this so im mainly looking at these.

http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/catalog/browse.jsp?id=pcmcat287600050003&cp=3&pageSource=browse&_requestid=8555

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

As long as possible with the possiblilty of upgrading.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Blue ray/dvd

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Well I'm not sure what brands are best but I do know Asus, lenovo, and a few others are pretty good but no preference

13. What country do you live in?

Merica

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I'm not to tech savvy again so bare with my responses to some of the questions. I'm trying to learn from what I can pick up so hopefully I can learn here. Also I know a desktop is better and no doubt if I had time to actually sit at home and play on it all day I would but I'm I travel a bit for work and hotels are my best friends.

Solution
Asus g750, i7 quad core 4700m, gtx 860m graphics card, 1tb hhd with second bay for ssd if you want, 8-16gb ram, best in class cooling, 17" should be around $1300 when it comes out within month's'.

Otherwise they have one now that has 765m graphics card, for $1250.
Both weigh 10 lbs but solid solid build.

Otherwise samsung ativ book 8, last years i7 quad core, amd 8800m graphics card, 1tb hhd, 8gb ram, 15" but gives 8 hours battery and weighs 5 lbs.

The lenevo isnt bad, if youve only got sub $1000. But runs very hot, poor build quality, sli has plenty of problems especially in laptops, 15" yet still weights 7-8lbs, battery life very poor.

I know you said battery doesnt matter, and if/when your gaming or doing something very intensive...

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
Asus g750, i7 quad core 4700m, gtx 860m graphics card, 1tb hhd with second bay for ssd if you want, 8-16gb ram, best in class cooling, 17" should be around $1300 when it comes out within month's'.

Otherwise they have one now that has 765m graphics card, for $1250.
Both weigh 10 lbs but solid solid build.

Otherwise samsung ativ book 8, last years i7 quad core, amd 8800m graphics card, 1tb hhd, 8gb ram, 15" but gives 8 hours battery and weighs 5 lbs.

The lenevo isnt bad, if youve only got sub $1000. But runs very hot, poor build quality, sli has plenty of problems especially in laptops, 15" yet still weights 7-8lbs, battery life very poor.

I know you said battery doesnt matter, and if/when your gaming or doing something very intensive no matter what laptop you get your looking at hours max. But the asus lasts 5-6 hours on light/medium and about 2 hours gaming. the samsung lasts 8 hours light/medium and 2-3 hours gaming. the lenevo lasts 2-4 hours light/medium and about an hour gaming best.

I realize again that your always by a wall socket. but if you just want to check your email or surf web, do you really want to be plugged in all the time? If you do and the laptop will just sit at a desk, then get a pc. $1000 pc will give you a tremendous edge over any laptop in that range.

The lenevo isnt bad, but if you've got the extra couple hundred, its a way better investment.

Solution