another lenovo not charging

pizzardifrank

Prominent
Aug 17, 2017
hello

i dont know if this is common to other brands. but i have a Lenovo x220 thats not charging the battery. it was running windows 10. i formatted and installed windows 7. updated the bios, bought a new power supply and a new battery. still not charging. i checked the pins on the battery and i got 3.393 volts on the 3 pins (the 2 longer ones are gnd apparently and the 3 next to that should have 3 volts, right ?). the other 2 pins show 0.02 volts wich i guess is static or cheap multimeter. from all the research i did it should charge.
the lenovo power centre says current 0.00A ?
voltage 11.33V
cycle count 1 (was like 150 on old battery)
anyways, what do i check now ??
thanks

Are you sure it was the battery and not the charger that was the cause of the problem?

Try putting back in the old battery (as if the new one is after market there is no telling if it is actually a good one or not, they are kind of hit or miss), then try charging the laptop when it is off. Not sleep or hibernate but off.

If it will charge then, the charger is your problem.

pizzardifrank

Prominent
Aug 17, 2017
the old battery was the 6 year old original. so i dismantled it to see if there were any damaged cells. all 9 cells were equaly charged and no bulging. so it will be impossible to try it.
the new one is from batterytec which seems to have a good reputation. but it is possible (but unlikely) that it has the exact same problem as the old one.
i always tunr it off, never sleep or hibernate. it still doesnt charge the battery when off. but if both batteries were defective. shouldnt i still get some amps going to them ? 0.00 amps is weird. could there be a fuse inside ? and lenovo power centre says battery is in good health (both batteries).
if i can just get it to charge in any ways i would be happy with that. i checked for an external charger but it >70$. i can find a dock station for 15$. maybe it would charge in a dock ? i just want to charge the battery in any way cheapest possible. i use it plugged in most of the time.

pizzardifrank

Prominent
Aug 17, 2017
how would i check this ? i read that there should be 3v on the 3 pins and i have that 3.393v. but i know that volts doesnt mean that amps are passing wich the lenovo power centre seems to say.

I don't know the specs on that model. So I can't really answer where it would be best to check, obviously other than checking just past it on the board or checking where the battery connects to the laptop.

Anyone out there know the best location on this device to check? :)

pizzardifrank

Prominent
Aug 17, 2017
taking it to a tech is no for sure. its gonna cost way too much and i dont really need the battery. it would be great but im not gonna pay a 100-200$ repair for that.
i have tested the connectors and they all have power to them.
and lenovo think cemtre detects it and says charging, battery in good condition, # of cycles... so i dont get it.
guess ill just return the battery and use it plugged in all the time