Another Nexus 7 Defect Appears, Affects Touch Screen

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
that touchscheen thing seems like purely a touchscreen issue.

the really early android builds for the HP touchpad (the ones you had to compile yourself) has similar touchscreen issues and the issues largely did not go away until cm9 alpha 2

and even still some remain with the gesture deadzones.

the main issues with that tablet seem to be dead pixels (cosmetic issues such as the case staining is not too big of a deal, but dead pixels are one of the most annoying issues on any device)

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
This isn't just a Tom's issue...it is a media issue. Anyone can tailor an article the way they want now, and in just such a way as to avoid any disciplinary action for hurting reputations or causing harm to society. Sure, what is presented here is supposedly fact (although the media is known to get away with exagerrating truth a lot), but from one source presenting one side of the story. The media is eager to get Google and Asus spun up to respond, because they can make up more money and waste more of people's time with other articles. Like someone mentioned, how many are affected, and how much was the total. ALL products have defects and "many" isn't a good metric to use to determine the size of the problem. It's like the amount of food we throw away when a few people (out of 300 million) in the US get tummy aches and the media decides to spark paranoia. In some cases a "zero defect" mentality is fine (although in many cases unrealistic) but in other cases it is excessive. Also, all the complaining about supply is somewhat lame. Patience is a virtue and there are very few people that "have" to get some game, phone, tablet, etc. If you can't get it right when it comes out...wait longer. It is annoying how people prioritize things in this country now.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]sync497[/nom]Google did not make the product.. don't blame them..but yeah, they should have better control of their product..after all, people are going to blame Google.. not AusuI had a P5E motherboard.. nothing but problems, i have not brought any of their products.[/citation]
This problem appears to be more software related than hardware.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Considering the price and feature set for $200, it looks pretty good... too bad they are having so many issue. I've compared the Nexus 7 to the Amazon Fire side by side (both $200)... and the Fire is easily much heavier, the screen is not as good, the feel of the unit (back) isn't as good.

The Fire interface is strictly a library type. If I wanted a 7" tablet, the Fire wouldn't cut it.

With all these problems, you can bet apple is grinning.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]alextheblue[/nom]No, a tech site shouldn't give a rat's butt who builds it. It's our job to decide what we want.... However, if they went along with your suggestion, that would be injecting bias too.Frankly, Tom's is usually pretty neutral when it comes to most hardware. Better than a lot of sites out there, even though nobody is perfect. There's a lot of buzz around the Nexus right now, it's only natural that all the issues being talked about end up here in some form. This is Google's own Nexus tablet, which everybody was talking about like the second coming. Frankly on paper it's a nice device, if a bit small for my taste.[/citation]

I fully agree with you.

Comparing with many websites such as and many others, Tomshardware is relatively neutral. It only bombard us with tons of apple news before and right after a major release of apple product/event, but who doesn't. That's what most of the websites do theses days.

A lot of time why Tomshardware looked more favor in Apple is because a lot of active commenters in here are not in favor of Apple as a company or their products.

However, I do have problem with the way they name the titles of the posts. Some of them can definitely be less controversial/confusing/misleading.

Back to Nexus 7, I am not worry about the problems at this moment. A lot of products have/had some degree of problem at their release day, specially when they try to standout from the others.. But most of the problem will die off by time. And just like some other people addressed at here, that is why we have the warranty and return/exchange policy for.

BTW, while I can understand the limited budget and time constrain, ASUS, you can really do better on your QC team. You are a company with a great reputation to me.

jojesa

Distinguished
I got two and none show any of these bugs, defects etc.
Maybe trying to rush them out to us.... some devices might have slip to the crack.
It always happens.
Wifey is very happy with the device...so I am very happy too.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Google should have stick with Samsung. I hate ASUS. Their product sucks and their services are the worst (at least from where i came from). Used to have an ASUS M3A motherboard...tons of problems with this board...ASUS never bother to fix it.

G

You are touching it wrong!

oooops...wrong tablet...

.ooop again i forgot ipad not a tablet but an ipad....

G

i also noticed that there is no mention of what app was been used when screen errors happened, is it just using the OS with nothing else running?
Seems to me that its a fairly simply software error - the software that is controlling the touch screen/digitiser is failing to detect the rotation of the device.
Please remember the LED screen and the Digitiser are two separate components run by two different bits of code.
And the over heating issue, as no real data has been provided, this is possibly a subjective problem, and is also very dependent on the App's been used.
The screen peeling away as far as i can see is the only real issue that ASUS/Google my have trouble with but as long as they handle it quickly i cannot see this been as big an issue as the 'Apple-i-cannot-use-my-Phone-as-a-phone' problem!

G

Six months lead from design to sale, is to short for full product testing, hence the issues we see here.

Wait for version 2.0!

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]Vorador2[/nom]Click on the first link above the comments where it says "Read the comments on the forums". It bring to a forum thread where the comments are. You can edit your post there.[/citation]
I don't know for the others, but one time out of two I don't have an edit button on my own posts in the forum. It might be only on Tom's Guide, while Tom's Hardware may work, I'm not sure.

Anyway, I accept the fact that a perfectly good comment can be thumbed down to oblivion if a typo can be turned against you. It should be an internet rule : Any and all typos will be turned against you in a flaming war.

meltbox360

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
Nexus one had a similar issue that neither Google nor HTC really admitted to it having the issue. Look it up. I have one and it is REALLY annoying and they never fixed it throughout the whole production run.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]coupe[/nom]Made in America...[/citation]Are you on drugs? One Google piece of hardware was built in the USA. ONE. Can you guess which one? HINT: It wasn't the Nexus 7. Here's an idea... since this is an article about a Google branded device, maybe you can use Google to see who built it and where it was built!
[citation][nom]meltbox360[/nom]Nexus one had a similar issue that neither Google nor HTC really admitted to it having the issue. Look it up. I have one and it is REALLY annoying and they never fixed it throughout the whole production run.[/citation]Well, if they said that "You're touching it wrong", they'd be admitting a problem. Google is smarter than that - say nothing, do nothing, and everyone will assume its the user's fault. The bad part is, half the time, they're right. The other half... well sorry about your bad luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.