ANTVR Headset Takes On Oculus With Dynamic Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
"The ANTVR sports a full HD 1920 x 1080 display, which is on par with Morpheus' supposed 1080p output and sharper than the Oculus Rift DK2's 1080 x 960 screen. The headset provides a 100-degree field of view like the latest Oculus, , while Morpheus has a shorter range of 90 degrees." - Incorrect. It has the same resolution as the Rift DK2 - i.e. 1080x960 per eye using a single 1080p display.

Ekinox

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
On top of what Spanky Deluxe says, the 100 degrees is measured diagonally for the ANTVR, while it's the horizontal FOV for the Oculus Rift. This means that the ANTVR actually has 80 degrees horizontal and 60 degrees vertical FOV, smaller than the Rift OR Morpheus. Also the positional tracking is ONLY what is described, a way to move the character by taking a step forward, backward, or sideways. It is not positional tracking as seen in DK2, where moving your head e.g. forward will correct the image you see to a more forward position and so on.

bigpinkdragon286

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
I've been looking forward to the Oculus for a while, but this may be just what is needed to get the ball rolling. You can compare specifications all day long, but in the end, nobody has a commercial product yet, and Microsoft has demonstrated how well the principle works that, as long as you provide the consumer just enough to get the job done, provide it before the competition, and for less money, you will gain enough market share for moderate success. Success in the marketplace would allow the Chinese company more opportunity to improve their design. Of course, I would suspect improvements to depend largely on the competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.