Any Good Mono-Output Headphone Recommendations?

rhodesgamer

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
Hey there everyone. My situation is that I'm deaf in my right ear (no sound comes through at all), and I've lived my life only hearing half of a song, half of a game, half of a movie, etc. This is due to the fact that, most of the time, when you have headphones on, your left ear and right ear are hearing two different things that combine to make a whole picture.

So I'm wondering if there are any nice headphones out there that would send all that sound to one ear, so I could get a more complete picture? I spend most of my time listening to music or gaming on my computer, so a USB connection would be fine, but having headphones with a 3.5mm jack would be even better.

For reference I currently own the HyperX Cloud 2, which is a great product. Super comfortable, light on weight, looks good, and fairly spartan in it's features.

I don't want to say that I want "gaming headphones", but I'm not sure how else to put it. I also definitely don't want a headset with just one headphone on one side. They're uncomfortable and make you look like someone in a call-center.

I've heard there are headphones out there that can switch between stereo and mono. I've yet to see any that look comfortable, but if anyone has an recommendations that would be awesome.

Thanks for your time everyone!

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
Be ever-so-slightly careful, there is one album that I am aware of that has a warning about playing on mono equipment as it could damage it. So I'm assuming that adding L&R together can lead to weird summations of waves.

Does this help: https://superuser.com/questions/117494/force-windows-xp-to-output-only-mono-sound it's not just XP
Check this: https://www.gear4music.com/G4M/2-x-Mono-Jack-F-to-Stereo-Jack-M-Cable/1JZT?origin=product-ads&campaign=PLA+Shop+-+GENERIC&adgroup=GENERIC&medium=vertical_search&network=google&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=72569d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=121022078959&gclid=CjwKCAiA5OrTBRBlEiwAXXhT6I5xjzV1kSvr2kpWGxMn94wOLurt0LSaHJVEUSrL3c4WT85O3rOvNxoCN18QAvD_BwE#full-des it might create 2xL+R mono outputs.
Lindy are a great company to contact, or startech (their chat people are great in my experience)

I think that the solution lies in pushing a merged mono signal to a normal set of headphones as opposed to special headphones. This should in theory be simple enough.

Solution

rhodesgamer

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012

The thing I'm worried about with those adapters is whether or not it actually pushes both left and right into one side, or if it just outputs either the left or the right to one side. If that makes sense.

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006

Absolutely understand, have a chat with startechs live chat, I can't see why just trying left and right positives together and leaving the grounds already tied wouldn't work, you may however overload the speakers if too loud.