Any suggestions for speakers designed for both desktop AND portable use?

Dec 31, 2018
Hello,

I'm in the market for some new speakers to replace my current desktop speakers. I'm wondering if there is a recommendation from someone on a set that is good for both desktop use, but also can be 'unplugged' to move to a different room.

For example, say I was listening to music on my desktop (which as a wifi/bluetooth card BTW). Then say I wanted to move to a separate room for whatever reason, but still wanted to listen. I'm hoping to find a set of speakers where I can just grab one and bring it with me to the other room.

And, of course, the ability to play other devices off of these speakers could be useful as well i.e. the ability to play music from my phone.

What complicates the issue is that speakers seem to be designed for one use or the other. Bluetooth speakers tend to be single units, while desktop speakers tend to come in pairs (which is good and what I would like for desktop use), but require alot of wiring/power adapters.

I'm hoping to find something in the $60-$80 range, but I recognize this may be a complex specification; so its understandable if pricing for something like this is actually higher.

If there isn't anything easy, my alternative is just to get a basic set of desktop speakers and a separate bluetooth speaker. The benefit there would be the potential to use the desktop speakers and the bluetooth speakers at the same time (if I can get my PC to have simultaneous outputs). Then, I would have the same sound in multiple rooms.

Any suggestions? Happy to provide for info if needed. In short, I'd like versatility.

Thanks in advance.

Oct 15, 2017
If you buy certain bluetooth speakers (of the same brand and model) you can pair two of the speakers to your phone or laptop.

Like if you get two JBL flip bluetooth speakers, you can leave one with your computer and walk around with the other (until you get out of range of the source).

But this option is definitely more expensive (buying two bluetooth speakers will cost more than a simple desktop set).