Any suggestions what to buy?

Randomname69

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
Hi. I want to buy a laptop for gaming, in the price range of $1200-$1400, but I'm not sure if I should wait for the new generation of processors (the Haswell) or should I buy a laptop now.

To me battery life isn't important, but I would like to have a good cooling system because I want to be able to play Fallout 4, Rome II Total war, etc.

So, if anyone could share their opinion with me, and/or give me advice what laptop to buy, I would be very grateful.
btw. I would also need it for school, and yes I've considered to buy a desktop, but it isn't the same

Some of the features I would like it to have are a back-lit keyboard, full HD display and fingerprint reader (if possible)
Oh, and, since I'm not up to date with all the new technology, are sager laptops all haswell and is every processor that says 4th gen Intel processor a Haswell one?

Thank you very much for your time :)

Kelthar

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
If you don't care about battery life, 3rd generation is the way to go. Haswell perform better on non-intensive stuff, consuming less power. When it comes to intensive CPU usage they heat up MUCH more, so that's a no-no for your situation.

oczdude8

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
get the Lenovo y510p, it is a STEAL for the features you get. I can easily handle new games like bf4 (at medium settings ofcourse) and it is not the size of 3 textbooks.
oh and its also haswell based :)

it comes with a good gpu but, heres the cool part, you can buy a extra gpu that you can swap in for your optical drive and run sli on your laptop!@

if you want to spend more, the new razer blade looks good too.

I have to admit, I have to y580 (previous edtion of y510p) and it is amazing. I was surprised to get 4-5 hours on battery.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/webca/LenovoPortal/en_CA/catalog.workflow:item.detail?GroupID=458&Code=59370001&category_id=3B20BA877A2C60BD831C560F83B08DDE

Randomname69

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013

Yeah, I've heard so much about Haswell processors. That's why I was having second thoughts.

Randomname69

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013

It isn't a bad choice, I have to say. I've also looked into the y500 but somehow I wasn't convinced with it. It has some issues which I can't remember. I've also been thinking about buying a laptop with a fingerprint reader, just so I could brag (I know, I'm a bad person).

Somehow I find features like back-lit keyboards, fingerprint readers and full HD displays kind of neat, but I can't seem to find any laptops that have those features and aren't in the WOOHOOO price range.

oczdude8

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009

haha yea same, fortunately, the Lenovo has the backlit and hd screen, just no fingerprint reader. One problem, atleast with my y580 is th wireless is kinda weak. The y510 comes with the new n2230 so I hope that's been fixed.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Laptop Tech Support 1
B Laptop Tech Support 5
E Laptop Tech Support 2
J Laptop Tech Support 4
R Laptop Tech Support 1
J Laptop Tech Support 2
F Laptop Tech Support 5
N Laptop Tech Support 1
H Laptop Tech Support 1
K Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 1