Any Upgrade Slots Available on New Inspiron 15

adam61

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
I just purchased a Dell Inspiron 15 (Model 7579 to be exact). It shows it can be upgraded to 16GB of RAM from the 12GB default. So I assume it has a 8 and 4GB stick? I wouldn't think this would be worthwhile, but if there's more to it I'd be willing to do it.

My primary question is it comes with a 512GB SSD and I was wondering if there was a possibility to add an additional 512GB SSD or a 2TB backup HDD for additional storage. Lastly, I realize it's probably unlikely but since it uses the integrated Kaby Lake Intel Graphics 620, is there any open slot for a discrete GPU?

In summary...

1) What is the current RAM setup and is it worth upgrading 12GB to 16GB?
2) Are there any additional slots to add a SSD or HDD in the future?
3) Is there an open slot to add a discrete GPU?
4) Are there any other open expansion slots worth exploring?

I'm happy with it as is for now, but want to know what is an options I have later. Thanks so much!!

Solution
Hi after researching a bit:

1) You can upgrade to 16GB but you won't notice any difference unless you are fully using the 12GB. (For example Running VMs).
2) Sadly, as far as I read, it only has one m.2 port for storage. But still 512GB of SSD is pretty good ;)
3) No, you cannot add a discrete GPU to this laptop. Only high end gaming laptops have the MXM slot for mobile GPUs.
4) No, you could add different peripherals via USB.

Regards

grmnlxndr

Honorable
May 17, 2012
Hi after researching a bit:

1) You can upgrade to 16GB but you won't notice any difference unless you are fully using the 12GB. (For example Running VMs).
2) Sadly, as far as I read, it only has one m.2 port for storage. But still 512GB of SSD is pretty good ;)
3) No, you cannot add a discrete GPU to this laptop. Only high end gaming laptops have the MXM slot for mobile GPUs.
4) No, you could add different peripherals via USB.

Regards

Solution