Anybody have experience using a voice activated headset for gaming?

weldorr

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Does it work well? Can it eliminate the need for Push-To-Talk binds for in-game voice chat?

Any recommended headsets?

Solution
Its not the headset itself that does this for the most part, but rather the voice service being used.
Teamspeak is one such example, you can set a noise gate on it so once a certain volume is reached it begins to transmit and stops when it falls under it.
This can be used to avoid background noises that may be around.

However it is not a flawless system. Most of the time the first portion of what is said gets cut off, activating the gate, and if you fall below the level you stop transmitting.

Overall, push to talk is good to use. That or always transmit if you can be silent when not voicing.
Other than that, there really arent any headsets like you ask.

Gam3r01

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Its not the headset itself that does this for the most part, but rather the voice service being used.
Teamspeak is one such example, you can set a noise gate on it so once a certain volume is reached it begins to transmit and stops when it falls under it.
This can be used to avoid background noises that may be around.

However it is not a flawless system. Most of the time the first portion of what is said gets cut off, activating the gate, and if you fall below the level you stop transmitting.

Overall, push to talk is good to use. That or always transmit if you can be silent when not voicing.
Other than that, there really arent any headsets like you ask.

Solution

weldorr

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
It really surprises me that there's no good solution to this. In any competetive team play, it would obviously be advantageous to simply say what you need to say as opposed to having to hold down a button to say something.

Having to use PTT while in clutch situations where you need perfect control and immediate communication can cause losses, IMO.

Gam3r01

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
If you think you are at a level of play that requires instant communication then you should be using skype or TS to communicate with your teams.
Playing with randoms you should be able to hold a button, typically one that is fairly easy to reach.

I use my mouse 4 button for PTT.