Anyone with experience with the E-Fun Nextbook 10.1?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all.

I'm looking into a laptop replacement as my old Dell scratch and dent finally fried it's motherboard (after seven years) and I'm looking at the Nextbook 10.1 as a replacement.

Please understand that I already have a desktop for any seriously intensive applications (games/vide encoding) and an HTPC for all media needs. This laptop/tablet would be *strictly* for online finances and *maybe* as an e-book reader replacement (I also have a first gen Kindle).

My only real concern is the installed 1GB of RAM. I have not been able to find anything that states it's upgradeable. I think I'd really prefer a minimum of 2GB, but if anyone has any experience with this device, your input would be greatly appreciated.

-Wolf sends

Apr 25, 2015
I liked most everything about this tablet PC from the first time I saw it on display at the store... especially the price, considering that it's loaded with Win 8.1. The three things that turned me off the most after doing a bit of research were 1) Awful customer service, 2) Only 1 GB of main memory, 3) the tiny, fragile proprietary charging pin.

I added all the pros and cons (many more pros than cons), and thought it would be worth the risk considering the relative inexpensive price (under $200) and Wal Mart's 2 week return policy, and I bought one. While I can't predict future reliability, I've had mine about a week now, and I am pleased with my purchase decision. For the stuff that I mostly do (web browsing, Facebook, online bill paying, streaming videos, etc) it works without so much as a hiccup. Where I did notice it struggle was on FarmVille (an online video game). But then, my desktop PC struggles with that game.

In closing, this is a laptop PC/tablet combo that has a few quirks. But given its low price and generous features, is a bargain... as long as you don't have any problems that require a customer service response.

alekesam

Estimable
May 14, 2015

Thank you for the heads up. Sometimes it wakes up, sometimes it doesn't. Now I know to turn sleep off completely.

rcs02

Estimable
May 17, 2015

It is a good 2in1 I got it and would recommend also if you looking for a phone go to metro pcs and get zte zmax or galaxy avant with 50$ unlimited everything plan its monthly not contract

Michael Valentine

Estimable
Jun 2, 2015
hey can y'all help me? i got this to use for schoolwork only and my classes are online, but the computer keeps telling me that the internet connection and webcams are too slow. i honestly have great internet speed and reliability, but i do not know if it has anything to do with programs or apps being open. If it does then does anyone know how to stop or kill them?

camperkn

Estimable
Sep 20, 2015
My 10.1 is great for traveling.

Got a small surplus cosmetic bag to hold a mouse, micro USB adapter, charger, HDMI cable, and I am good to go. I took it to Europe recently and it worked fine, but I did leave the keyboard home to reduce weight. Only one problem.

I can not get the camera and microphone to work with facebook chat. Just get error messages to turn them on.

Any solutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.