Apple admits?

ben110

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
I don't believe Apple! They say that it is a formula that just Displays the strength of the signal. Than why is it loosing calls?

Yes, they are admitting that they messed up their Iphone 4.

garry__

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
They didn't admit anything, they just said that the software calculation they used on every iPhone is wrong for signal bar status.

But the issue only came present with the iPhone 4G so that's not saying much, and as far as it stands, all other previous iPhones haven't had any signal issues due to this software miscalculation.

Canadacorps

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
Much ado about nothing. Put a case on it. Reception/Antenna problem solved. Apple is even providing free cases to purchasers of the Iphone 4.

Seems like the media is just looking for fodder to tear into apple so they can sell more papers, and get more readers. Negative news draws people like a train wreck. That's why all news is the negative "shock and awe" type fodder. Apple is a great company and does not deserve this furor over a relatively minor issue.

They've shown the same antenna problem replicated on many other major manufacturer's handsets. So it's not just them, but they are the most successful, so the media thinks they'll get the biggest story out of tearing Apple down.

Steve8217

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
Apple have not admitted a thing the world press are trying to do that for them and is it not typical that the world press would love to find something to damage Apples good reputation. I still plan to get an iPhone 4 after my 3GS comes up for renewal. One of the best phones Ive ever owned and long may Apples reign continue.

TheGreatGrapeApe

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003

Only after Consumer Reports did an article on the problem.
Without the media you complain about, this would've been another issue that another company (whomever it may be) would've tried to ignore and hope people got tired of complaining and simply got used to the poor reception and dropped calls, just like in the iPhone 3G.

Apple is a great company and does not deserve this furor over a relatively minor issue.
Apple is just a company not some saviour, and the issue is relatively minor in that it could easily be fixed with a free case, which they should've offered the minute it came to light, not only after being forced to do so by the public fiasco. They would've saved themselves $20 Billion in market cap losses.

They've shown the same antenna problem replicated on many other major manufacturer's handsets.

No they stated it, they didn't show any such thing, and other independent sources proved it's not occurring on other devices in the same way or to the same extent, so stop simply buying into the PR that it happens to everyone, especially when they admit it even happens more than on the 3GS, which was not a paragon of phone call quality. :pfff:

TheGreatGrapeApe

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003

Dude, when the Apple-Fanboi-Press like Walt Mossberg comment on the issue prior to launch and Apple acknowledged it prior to launch, then it's a bit more than the world press looking to find something to damage Apple, especially when more are more than willing to be their PR slaves instead. :sarcastic:

And Apple did admit it while not taking much responsibility for it just trying to deflect the focus so they can convince their loyal hoards that it's not their fault and they still make things that 'just work'. At least they came clean and do the right thing by giving away the bumpers that cost them very little compared to the price of the phone, even though it did take them some time.

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
All phones suffer from signal loss when held tightly, that is true but the iPhone loses the most signal. Sometimes it even loses signal entirely.

When Toyota had the huge brake problem, they did a recall. They didn't say "but other companies like Mazda and Kia has brake problems too" No they simply did a mass recall. Even BP with the huge oil spill picked up their balls and tried to make things right. Sure a faulty phone isn't killer but still people did not pay a premium for their overpriced product simply to get blamed for holding their phone wrong. Should have just left out the excuses because people are going to bust them like that. Should have just came clean and said they don't want to scrap all the iPhones being manufactured months in advance, here is a free bumper instead.

Also the article is old, they already released the so called update. It simply made the first 3 signal bars look taller. Now with the bigger looking bars, people would complain less..... great job apple.....

Despite that I actually purchased the iPhone 4. It is one of the few good phones in Canada so I didn't have much selection. The antenna problem is actually not a deal breaker even if you don't get a bumper or protectors for the thing.

You don't always hold it wrong nor does it always happen if you hold that one area. Even when it does not all the signal drops, only some.

The thing is, the exterior antenna has better reception, so there is more bars to lose. Despite the phone displaying only up to 5 bars. Signal strength can be much higher than 5 bars. So even when you are trying to reproduce it, you may lose only 1 bar in areas of high signal strength. Average is 2 bars, I have found. I live in a huge city though, so maybe I get more connection.

Apart from the antenna, I would still recommend the iPhone 4. The design looks sleek and the glass is so cool. The display is really crisp and nice. Theres also more apps on the iPhone + cheaper.

Canadacorps

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
Buying into PR?

I simply agree that many smartphones are susceptible to signal loss. I agree because I have also personally replicated a similar problem on many smartphones I've dealt with (which is a lot, considering I work in the wireless industry.) I am not a person who believes blindly in anything anyone tells me. Trust me.

P.S. I have also never lost a call on my 3GS either. Even in an elevator descending into an underground parking lot. :)

TheGreatGrapeApe

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
LOL, you never dropped a call on your 3GS, yeah sure. Do you actually make many, or just text? I've dropped calls on different networks both with local and roaming SIMs. I drop them on other phones too, but the 3GS is notoriously worse than some, although not as bad as others (like the Storm and LG Chocolate).

I use about 5-7 different phones simultaneously in a single day as well as test almost as many new devices a week for work, and if you do work in the industry as I do (testing new devices), you'd know that the Apple reply was PR fluff, especially about other devices, and your statements are too full of pro-Apple bias to be taken seriously. This was hardly a Furor, and the issue is more than minor if people use it as a phone (though most use it as a mini-computer-texting/email-device), anyone taking issue with the media over it compared to either more mundane things 'like the whole UAE BB issue' as if it's a fault with BB not the UAE, or something more serious like the Sidekick compromises. The media seems to have covered the Apple issue with just about the right amount of coverage considering the amount of free publicity/coverage it provided for the 4's launch. The media both pimps them and then smacks them in this case.

As for the elevator, city centers is where TDMA/GSM shines if you have lots of towers nearby because it penetrates better, but if you've never dropped a call on a 3GS it makes me question how much calling you do that isn't right in city centre.

I like my iPhone 4, along with my Milestone, my TreoPro and my Aging Kyocera all of which share hip time, but it definitely needs the bumper or a nice dab of clear acrylic to bring it to an acceptable level of call quality/reliability.