Apple Bookmarks Spark Ereader Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

ominous prime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
[citation][nom]core i7 ownage[/nom]I think it will be called iReader. I will copyright it now before they do. Then I will sue for 1337 million A 1337 way to be rich.[/citation]

lol hilarious.

Bookmarks is probably a hint towards an upcoming ereader from Apple. Or they're just hoping to increase the children's desire to read either would be nice. But I think ereaders have a ways to come before they're ready for prime time. Namely cost, usability, and the cost of the books are outrageous on ereaders.

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
[citation][nom]ominous prime[/nom] But I think ereaders have a ways to come before they're ready for prime time. Namely cost, usability, and the cost of the books are outrageous on ereaders.[/citation]
Especially when said company is Apple. The scourge of the wonderful thing known as a "Good deal for the money".

intelliclint

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
Yeah because good audio and ebook support in a device like the iPhone or iPod touch would be too much to ask.

(When I say support, I mean like correctly supporting audio books so that they can resume play correctly even when based off mp3 and composed of multiple files.)

fatedtodie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
That's right Apple bring another product to a market that barely exists. Oh and make sure to bring that lovely Apple brand of horrible format facism. Just what the ebook market needs another closed system to bring yet another format of ebooks to market and make it so yet ANOTHER nail in the coffin of ebooks.

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
[citation][nom]fatedtodie[/nom]That's right Apple bring another product to a market that barely exists. Oh and make sure to bring that lovely Apple brand of horrible format facism. Just what the ebook market needs another closed system to bring yet another format of ebooks to market and make it so yet ANOTHER nail in the coffin of ebooks.[/citation]
Too true.

PodSix

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
The whole trick or treating at a mall thing isn't as uncommon as you might think. I used to manage a district of stores mostly located in malls and shopping centers and most of them had some kind of 'malloween' event where the stores were invited to offer candy or whatnot to kids that would come to the mall that evening. Seemed that the majority of malls that participated were close to what you would consider 'bad areas' of cities or towns. It offered a safe place for the parents and kids to go. I thought it was a pretty cool idea.

However the last thing I think those kids wanted as they walked into a high end electronics store like an Apple Store was a bookmark. I can imagine the hundreds of 'O Rly?' looks that the employees got from both the kids and parents.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Could it be they were just encouraging kids to read more by handing out a bookmark?

Although I enjoy a good book, I'm sure these kids thought it was the lamest treat. I know when I was a kid I'd skip a house if they had given such things the previous year.

Think of the children Apple (future suckers), hand out premade (sealed) candied apples next year.

Parsifal57

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
Just what I want an E reader whose content is controlled and edited by Apple.

You can bet its going to allow books only in a propriety format supplied solely by i tunes.

No thanks , just give me the old fashioned hard copy for my reading, so I can read it the way the writer intended without Apple modifications'

G

Hm.. The Apple store should have had a bobbing game. "Hey kids, first one to come up with their face intact holding an apple in your mouth gets to buy a Mac at -10% discount!! But remember, one touch of the iPhone and the iGernade app goes off."

PodSix

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
[citation][nom]SkansliS[/nom]Hm.. The Apple store should have had a bobbing game. "Hey kids, first one to come up with their face intact holding an apple in your mouth gets to buy a Mac at -10% discount!! But remember, one touch of the iPhone and the iGernade app goes off."[/citation]

Dude! That would have been a great idea for some kinda Halloween promotion for them. Bobbing for Apples. (actual apples, not iMacs or god forbid, MacPros) Well, except for the whole, you know, iGrenade part, unless, of course, the parents sign an iWaiver.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I don't think they really care about the e-reader market. If they did care they would have added a books component to the iTunes store. I really don't think the eBook market is big enough to be of that much interest to Apple right now.

If anything, bookmarks suggests Apple thinks people should read more physical books instead of ebooks.

thackstonns

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
I think that everyone missed the point. I would think that the fact that apple was handing out a bookmark would make people think the opposite of them making an ereader. Think about it. If you have an ereader do you really need a paper bookmark?

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
what do you need a physical book mark for when using an eReader?

Tho I'm sure apple will find a way. then charge us an arm and a leg for them (because of course, apple branded bookmarks will be the only ones that work)

Status
Not open for further replies.