Apple Closes Beijing Store Because of Scalpers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]JamesSneed[/nom]Scalping, isn't that what we call retail here in the US.[/citation]

Indeed because everything we buy here comes out of china with 4000% mark up. Better to not buy very many things. Our society is based on greedy retailers.

xnashx

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Oh God. These scalpers are really a bad excuse for being Chinese and they make the country look bad. How can one person be allowed to buy 20 iphones? WTF? They should of originally done it like the States. One per person. This was really disorganized.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Not a surprise... seeing as most of the Riped of crap is from china, Great place for piracy, but when it comes to getting something actualy descent... thats really hard. I have of yet to find a chinese brand that actualy lasts more then a month.

lashton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
[citation][nom]redzoneos[/nom]"The news follows reports of block-long queues of Asian people outside the Apple store in New York City. "Was it reaaaaaaally necessary to indicate the demographic as "Asian People" while writing this? Shame on you toms. It's bad enough to hear subtle discriminatory overtones on TV and all over the internet, but reading it on a tech website that has a huge "asian people" following is inexcusable.[/citation]

whats wrong with that, if the majority (50% or more) were asian then its not racist its a fact, people like you troll the internet looking for things like this and rather than taking it at fact value you think its racist, also they were quoting another sites information, i would expect an apology from you to everyone here but then i dont know if you would know how to!!!

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Anyone ever see what the Apple store looks like there? It's super-high tech, nothing like it in the states. There is one in Shanghai that is underground with a glass tube entrance at the top.

quadibloc

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
[citation][nom]Christopher1[/nom]There is nothing 'questionable' about scalping in the slightest. A lot of people would like to say it is questionable or 'wrong' but they are stretching the definition big time.[/citation]It's not questionable to buy something and then resell it. But if people who are buying something for resale are not providing a service, but instead make their money because they're obstructing others from buying directly from the supplier - as can happen simply by buying up everything available when the supply is limited - yes, that is very definitely wrong. In the case of tickets to sporting events, many jurisdictions have laws prohibiting ticket scalping. For other types of item, it would be difficult to enforce a law, but in general, resellers of items are acting legitimately when they provide a service, not when they artificially create a monopoly for themselves.

pawnyou

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
but the low morals and ethics of many Chinese people, what the **** is this, we buy legal stuff and sell legal stuff, how is that low moral and ethics? you see go to canal in chinatown and see all the white people buying those counterfeits...

please dont elevate this to a moral level...

dont buy and sell drugs

G

The best thing Apple could do is go back to requiring activation with a Cell plan at the store. Or better yet just stop selling them at the Apple store all together and make people go to the carriers. But I saw this over here in the US for a while. But ebay was full of over priced iPhones. But as soon as supplies were keeping up with demand. Those high priced deals were ignored. Only the got to have it now crowd gets burned and who really cares about those idiots.

xpax

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]This isn't just about fanboys, but the low morals and ethics of many Chinese people. Sure, it happens everywhere else too, but in China - scalping and other questionable practices hits an all new high.[/citation]
Hilarious. How about the low morals and ethics of Apple? Chinese people die all the time due to Apples ultra-greedy business model. They sell phones they know are defective and then try to tell people that it isn't a problem, that they're using the phone incorrectly, etc. Then there's all the false and deceptive advertising -- which has been banned by the UK, unlike the stupid US which has laws but fails to enforce them (perhaps they're too busy persecuting innocent P2P users). I could go on and on... the Chinese who buy/resell these phones are no different than the people in the US who bought 10 Wiis during the height of the fad and put them up on eBay.

G

haha you would do it too EAAASY! In the US, the electronics seem to be priced a bit cheaper than overseas. In europe overall, its about $1000 per Iphone4, about $800 for Iphone3GS!!!

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I don't see why people hate on scalpers so much. Their simply supplying the demand even if they do artificially create it by buying all the stock. I don't see why apple even cares. They got the same amount of money per phone as they would've if an individual bought it. They simply sold them off faster.

If idiots want to pay double or triple for the price off a scalper then that's their problem. Only time I see a problem with scalpers is on tickets, as there is only so many for that one particular game. Things like the iphone though manufacters can keep pumping out.

Status
Not open for further replies.