Apple Considered World's Best Brand

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

lifer and jephph4 are both righ on the spot.

People must understand that most users work and have no time to answer surveys, but I'm sure Apple fanboys have free time because their amazing machines do all the work for them. lol

An old man once told me, "you need the tools kid but you also need to know how to use them!" People use macs because they are easy, nobody wants to learn boring stuff like doing maintenance on their Windows OS or learning how to use a linux distro in a correct way...
I don't believe all Mac users just want the shiny box, but I do believe that most of them just don't want to spend some time to learn new things. (Fanboys have all the time in the world to learn new things, because they make loveee with their Macs all day long :-D this is a joke btw, if you get upset seek medical help from Steve Jobs! )

Apple just takes things and "reinvents" them, Apple users could say that Surface by MS it's just a big iphone XD. for me it's just a table with a touch sensitive area and other expensive things, In 1984 TED's Conference Mr. Nicholas Negroponte talked about touchscreen interfaces it's very educative, most of you Apple fanboys should see the video (http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/230)...

Joke: If Apple had 100 years WW1 & WW2 wouldn't happen because they would roundhouse kick eveybody, we would be robots by now and pigs could fly matrix style.

Be happy bash fanboys, don't bash all people! XD

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Vista, OSX, XP, Gnome, KDE, etc are all just window managers. GUI front ends that perform tasks on the computers. I don't think one is better than another, they just perform specific tasks to accomplish jobs on a computer. That being said, Apple's influence throughout the PC industry is enormous. For all of the Apple bashers here, are you using a beige colored computer right now? Are you using a mouse? Or Vista for that matter? All of them were influenced by Apple. Apple gets it right by integrating designers at the very beginning of the engineering stages in both hardware and software. They also keep it simple. Have your grandmother go to Dell's site and pick a computer, and then send them to Apple's to find one. Even better, send them to Best Buy to find a PC for them, then to an Apple store. For nontechnical people, Apple is a fantastic brand. They don't have to deal with the clutter of Windows, or the thought in configuring a computer or an MP3 player. Microsoft made choosing a Mac that much easier with the release of Vista.

Rune44

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2008
Hey Crom, I hope you are not saying that Apple invented the mouse or the gui. I am quite sick of uninformed Apple fans bashing MS because of supposedly stealing ideas. Well, if that is true, then Apple stole most of their ideas from Xerox PARC. Go to wikipedia, look up "computer mouse" or "computer gui" and we can see that Xerox PARC was the inital place that both of these concepts came from.

G

Who cares? This is just marketing masturbation. I mean, how do you judge an influential company? Sure apple has made a huge impact on culture and tech, but so have alot of other companies. What apple did differently from the other companies was that they marketed themselves plain and simple. This has nothing to do with which platform is better or the like. It is just a bunch of people stroking each others ego.

Full disclosure: I think macs are over priced for what they give you. As to it being safer than xp? Well, why would I go after an o/s that posseses less than 1% of total market share when companies with the big bucks us XP, users who need to use a variety of software and programs us XP. People who use the mac O/S us it because it supports a program they like best, are tired of O/S, person who doesnt know any better and would break xp. The mac o/s may very well be better, but using the stablity or safety argument to support that theory is laughable.

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
I think Apple is safer and more stable for one simple reason, it's harder for stupid users to spread viruses and trojans. It's got more built in checks and balances, as well as the BSD backend, to prevent this from happening. Does that mean that there aren't any out there? Of course not. It's just better set up to deal with this over Vista and XP.

Gutbop

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
I think Apple is safer and more stable for one simple reason, it's harder for stupid users to spread viruses and trojans.
If you're talking about Mac users, then yes, I agree. The issue of viruses though, is that the userbase for Macs is so small that no hacker would spend their time creating a virus for such a small base. That's no fun right? See, if Apple explodes, and everyone starts using OSX, then they will become the target of hackers, and it will be utterly destroyed. OSX doesn't have better protection, just less appeal.

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Stupid users meaning most people behind a keyboard. You know, the ones that are perpetuating almost all the current viruses and trojans by clicking on links they get in e-mails or downloading warez. The install base has really nothing to do with it. I'd argue that Apple helps deflect those stupid users from sending out that information, while Microsoft is ambivalent, therefore increasing most of the current web problems. It's highly unlikely that I'll get spyware, trojans, or spam by surfing the web on a mac or in linux. If I'm using Windows, I have to install 3rd party software and configure it to "protect" the machine. Even then it's not 100%. In that way, OSX and linux are much more secure than Windows. It protects the web from its own users.

Gutbop

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Well of course any idiot on any computer is capable of spreading viruses. Surely just as high a percentage of Mac users are stupid enough to click links in e-mails or download warez as PC users. Perhaps even more likely, as it's been mentioned (and I believe it to be true) that people who buy Macs are less computer literate than people who use PCs. My wife is a complete ignoramus when it comes to computers, with the exception of the things I've had to teach her. She uses a Mac just because that's what they used in the Graphics labs at college.

Anyway, it's not about spreading viruses. Macs are less likely to be affected for the simple reason that most viruses were written with the intention to affect a Windows machine, not a Mac machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.