Apple Discloses Component Suppliers of iPad, iPhone, iPod

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nycteris

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
[citation][nom]darkrydr3[/nom]Do you really trust Apple, a company that drives its business practices on profit margin, to fully disclose everything? Some of the information might not be the worst case stories out there.[/citation]
Apple at least made information available publicly. The workers who threatened suicide were making parts for Xbox 360's so think about what conditions are like for other corporations that use Foxconn parts who haven't disclosed anything yet.

jamie_1318

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
I wonder what caused the explosion. Things don't just explode for no reason. Something was handled very badly for it to explode, and that itself is proof that there is something worse going on here than they are trying to admit. Obviously people doing dangerous jobs without proper training, poor environment, lack of safety requirements ETC ETC, there is no excuse for any credible company having even one Explosion leading to death, but two is just obvious negligence.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]darkrydr3[/nom]Do you really trust Apple, a company that drives its business practices on profit margin, to fully disclose everything? Some of the information might not be the worst case stories out there.[/citation]

Please link to the disclosures that ASUS, Acer, IBM/Lenovo, Dell, Toshiba, and Sony make.

I understand you are being critical for a good reason, but let's be fair.

G

Oh dear lord are people actually saying child labour is acceptable because these folks are poor....

The reason why there is child labour laws is that kids should be in school trying to get some kind of education so they don't end up as cheap labour, if child labour laws are not enforced another generation is lost to sweat shops and exploitation and the rich get richer and poor get poorer, education offers a small chance of equalization, which will never happen if child labour laws are not enforced

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
The real question is, what company DOESN'T drive its business practices on profit margin? Isn't the entire point of any company, especially public companies, to make a profit?

Granted I doubt that Apple disclosed everything, but the fact they disclosed something is miles better than what I've seen from the other 20+ companies that use Foxconn.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]silver565[/nom]Part of me wonders why the released the information. Perhaps something bad is coming?[/citation]
Sorry, nothing bad to see here.

Apple recently joined the FLA (Fair Labour Association). They are the first technology company to do so. Previously FLA's members included clothing and shoe manufacturers (the worst offenders for child labour).

FLA has certain requirements from its members. One is to disclose results of audits. The other one is they must provide a list of every single company or supplier they buy from. This is why Apple released the names of all their 156 suppliers, the first time in history anyone has ever had access to this information about Apple.

It's a bold move for Apple. Previously all the haters would constantly snoop around to see what Foxconn was doing (look at all the comments in this thread - all reference Foxconn and no references to any other Apple suppliers). Now that Apple has "outed" all their suppliers I'm sure people will be swarming all over them trying to find even more dirt of who "evil" Apple deals with.

As to the child labout, I'm shocked they only found 13 cases at their plants. With tens of thousands of emplyees I would have though that number was much higher. Clearly their suppliers aren;t using child labour to save money as 13 labourers mean nothing out of the huge number of people employed making products for Apple. Most likely (since the report states the companies couldn't properly identify their age) is they were 15 year olds who decided they'd rather work then go to school. Just like kids here in the US drop out of school and want to work instead, and often lie about their age so they can find work.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]I believe Apple is supporting fair labour. I also believe they will charge consumers 25% more for the 10% increased production cost.[/citation]

Of course they do. Being 'good' is only worth it if the effort is rewarded in cold hard ca$h :)
Kinda like paying you 5 cents to recycle a bottle instead of doing it because it is the right thing to do.

Augie500

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Chinese people don't even like Americans, why not bring the jobs back to the US. Lets say because of the US labor cost, phones go up , your paying for a 2 year contract, phones go up to 600 bucks, who cares.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]augie500[/nom]Chinese people don't even like Americans, why not bring the jobs back to the US. Lets say because of the US labor cost, phones go up , your paying for a 2 year contract, phones go up to 600 bucks, who cares.[/citation]

because china can destroy us economicly right now if they want to. we pull out, they have 2 trillion of our debt, our economy cant handle the backlash, but china could easily take advantage of that if push come to shove.

Status
Not open for further replies.