Apple Dismisses iPhone Tracking But Will Fix It

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

awood28211

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
So this wouldn't track my LOCATION? Really? So when you can see that the same wi-fi spot is near me from 8pm til 6 am every night you can logically determine this is my HOME where I am sleeping. When the same wi-fi spot is near me from 8-12 in the morning and then 1 to 5 in the afternoon, you can logically determine this is my JOB where I am working. Then every weekday between 12 and 1 pm you can see the local starbucks wi-fi point you can logically determine that I drink starbucks coffee everyday during lunch. Oh, and let's not forget that not only can u tell WHERE i am but based on public known wi-fi spots you can tell WHAT i'm doing. I'm at starbucks so let's slam this guys phone with ads for coffee and things. Oh look, the local Zoup wi-fi spot, soup ads! And the saga goes on. Track me if you want AND I give you permission... period. No permission = STOP IT.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Apple: We are actually doing everything that those university dudes say we are doing, but we are telling you in a more politically correct manner and putting our special spin on it because we understand that our users are too stupid not to trust us.

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
[citation][nom]happyballz[/nom]So where is an option to opt-out of this?[/citation]

you can't. you signed a EULA that gave them the right to do it, along with storing and swapping that information between your iphone and itunes on your PC. The only way for them to stop doing it is to have them take it upon themselves, and after the huge public outcry and stop in fear of losing customers they may make an exception and offer you the option of opting out of that tracking (sort of what android and win7phone do) with the inevitable software update. Remember, it's not a security flaw, it's "a bug."

Good luck :)

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
This is an interesting one.

I have an iPhone, and to be quite frank, I don't care if they track where I am. If they wanted, I'd tell them - in fact I already told them when I signed the phone contract. I'm not so arrogant to believe that a big company would allocate some kind of 'online stalker' to monitor my location 24/7 - I mean seriously. Fair enough though, if some people do want to keep their location secret.

It's difficult to interpret the Apple response. The article title makes it sound like they're doing the old FBI style 'Deny Deny Deny' whilst at the same time proving there is a problem by offering to fix it. Perhaps they are? That being said - I think the title is a bit misleading, and opinionated. I very much doubt a similar headline would be used if this were Google or Microsoft. A lot of people dislike Apple, so maybe this title was just a way to get more views? I'm not sure.

I myself don't like most Apple products for various reasons, and if they really did deny it whilst at the same time saying they'll fix it, clearly that's stupid - but at least report on it with neutrality and let us make our own minds up, instead of becoming one of the Apple lovers/haters.

:)

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
[citation][nom]chronicbint[/nom]Ooo an Apple story, time for the droidfags to post some epic lolz.[/citation]seriously, can you get any more femm than an iphone? your such a loser.

G

@awood28211

i was wondering why my iPhone has started showing ads for a divorce lawyer....

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
What confuses me is:
1. Why is Apple tracking the location of my iPhone?
Apple is not tracking the location of your iPhone. Apple has never done so and has no plans to ever do so.

Isn't this pretty much what's in that file? This just shows me that apple is just as big and "evil" as all the other big and "evil" corporations out there despite their claims of being different, despite what their marketing campaigns would have you believe.

(disclaimer: I'm not saying evil as in 'eat your baby' evil, just the "evil" that people seem to love to throw on any big corporation such as google, ms, exxon, etc).

JamesSneed

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Love the answer to "3. Why is my iPhone logging my location?". So they say its not "logging" your location but the information they collect is used to triangulate the iPhone's location. They don't "log" your location, nope, just gather every bit of info needed to calculate your location. Got a good laugh out of that.

vk_87

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Apple has never been interested in *your location*. Rather it is more interested in the *places near your location*.

Soon personalized ads will be shown depending on the *places near your location*. Like if you are near an Apple store, "The Apple store is just next door. Please have a look at the new iPhone5 with enhanced location tracking". Then you go and buy it.

Cycle starts over again. Period.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Apple lovers that defend this, I invite you to have a live webcam strapped to your head telling the world where you are, you really think your data is safe with these clowns? Sony just got buttf#cked for 70 million users details and credit card details, can you imagine the shitstorm if someone stole your last 7 days of movement? Even a stupid burglar could use it to make sure you weren't home, then there's the potential for blackmail for those who visit brothels, kidnapping potential for paedophiles. Tell me it could never happen, I dare you, then when the first raped child turns up you tell me that accepting the EULA makes everything ok.

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Well, lets start with this:
3. Why is my iPhone logging my location?
The iPhone is not logging your location. Rather, it's maintaining a database of Wi-Fi hotspots and cell towers around your current location, some of which may be located more than one hundred miles away from your iPhone, to help your iPhone rapidly and accurately calculate its location when requested.
That is a lie. The end.
I have examined the data and referenced it to the tower placement in my area, which seeing as how I know 100% where every tower that is remotely possible for my phone to hear is located at, I can say for sure the phone IS WITH NO QUESTION TRACKING ITS LOCATION! Hell any one can see this, clear the phone, login to a new user with windows, start iTunes activate the phone. New log file. Then go for a drive. Tell me if its not recording the location.
Next:
When I turn off Location Services, why does my iPhone sometimes continue updating its Wi-Fi and cell tower data from Apple's crowd-sourced database?
It shouldn't. This is a bug, which we plan to fix shortly (see Software Update section below).
Thats a little too convenient isnt it?
---
Our iAds advertising system can use location as a factor in targeting ads. Location is not shared with any third party or ad unless the user explicitly approves giving the current location to the current ad (for example, to request the ad locate the Target store nearest them).

--
THAT IS THE MEAT OF WHAT THIS DOES.
Bottom line, its all about the money. Now, they may have some plan of a traffic system in the future, but you can bet your arse on the fact they are getting paid NOW for as much information as they can provide about trends. And if you can tell people statistics even when it is anonymous about purchasing, travel, etc, its quite valuable information.
Its all about marketing, and advertising.
Fact is, unless you are a criminal who stands to loose something from having his phone track where you've been, who really cares.
BUT, does the mind not revolt at the idea that the whole *&#Y$ world is ran by *&^*% advertising?
How low will people sink now to get that..
When are people going to get tired of being advertised to? I say we start boycotting the damn products we see on our phones..Knowing we are all unwilling participants in their damned marketing improvement scheme...

Bah...

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Well, lets start with this:
3. Why is my iPhone logging my location?
The iPhone is not logging your location. Rather, it's maintaining a database of Wi-Fi hotspots and cell towers around your current location, some of which may be located more than one hundred miles away from your iPhone, to help your iPhone rapidly and accurately calculate its location when requested.
That is a lie. The end.
I have examined the data and referenced it to the tower placement in my area, which seeing as how I know 100% where every tower that is remotely possible for my phone to hear is located at, I can say for sure the phone IS WITH NO QUESTION TRACKING ITS LOCATION! Hell any one can see this, clear the phone, login to a new user with windows, start iTunes activate the phone. New log file. Then go for a drive. Tell me if its not recording the location.
Next:
When I turn off Location Services, why does my iPhone sometimes continue updating its Wi-Fi and cell tower data from Apple's crowd-sourced database?
It shouldn't. This is a bug, which we plan to fix shortly (see Software Update section below).
Thats a little too convenient isnt it?
---
Our iAds advertising system can use location as a factor in targeting ads. Location is not shared with any third party or ad unless the user explicitly approves giving the current location to the current ad (for example, to request the ad locate the Target store nearest them).

--
THAT IS THE MEAT OF WHAT THIS DOES.
Bottom line, its all about the money. Now, they may have some plan of a traffic system in the future, but you can bet your arse on the fact they are getting paid NOW for as much information as they can provide about trends. And if you can tell people statistics even when it is anonymous about purchasing, travel, etc, its quite valuable information.
Its all about marketing, and advertising.
Fact is, unless you are a criminal who stands to loose something from having his phone track where you've been, who really cares.
BUT, does the mind not revolt at the idea that the whole *&#Y$ world is ran by *&^*% advertising?
How low will people sink now to get that..
When are people going to get tired of being advertised to? I say we start boycotting the damn products we see on our phones..Knowing we are all unwilling participants in their damned marketing improvement scheme...

Bah...

Status
Not open for further replies.