Apple Expected to Announce Ebook Publishing Platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elsapo

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Legislation should be put in place from now to ensure that what ever platform used in the education system, is open.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Revolutionary idea! E-books and interactive learning. This will change everything!

Jobs might be gone, but the innovation is still there (not).

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
[citation][nom]extremepcs[/nom]Good luck competing on price with Kindle and Amazon. You will pay a premium for Apple's version of the same book.[/citation]
No you won't, as apple will prevent anyone else from publishing ebooks, even if they were doing it first :S

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Hilarious. All it takes is "Apple" in the title and the idiots are out in full force claiming that whatever they're doing is crap.

Hey idiots, Apple didn't invent e-books, learning or publishing. What they are supposed to announce is a method that makes publishing of content easy (the current state of the industry is a complete mess) from complex university textbooks right down to grade school. If it's what people are expecting, even teachers would be able to publish "mini-textbooks" specific to their class even down to individual lessons and make them easily available.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
There is an entire underground industry that is hardly ever reported on, the pirating of textbooks - My E-Book format of choice, PDF :)

I remember back in the day (grade-school), my teacher would hand out copies of work with the a statement on the bottom that said "DO NO XEROX" on it... I asked my teacher "is this legal" and their response was "Your education is expensive! Unless you want to all share a single book, don't say anything." Fair enough... free sounded good to me!

We've come so far... or have we?

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Lets see here... Apple want to pump out a new product... All there previous first releases (all there first runs) have come with some detrimental flaw... Its safe to assume that this will come out Broken to.

My only question is who's going to do the PR spin to save there ass now that Steve is gone?

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]Hilarious. All it takes is "Apple" in the title and the idiots are out in full force claiming that whatever they're doing is crap.Hey idiots, Apple didn't invent e-books, learning or publishing.[/citation]
They didn't invent the tablet, smartphone or mp3 player but ask random people and some will say they did.

pedro_mann

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Doesn't someone already have a patent on this? Maybe it is the "interactive" part that will grant them an edge. Then you will see Amazon or B&N try to implement something similar, and guess what comes next?

gokanis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
Personal log: Stardate 311044.97

Yippie, go apple! Now a new format will be available .icrap, heavily encrypted, no voice read back on the device, $50 a book, you have 10 days to read it and then you have to buy it again if you didn't finish. And now you claim you invented ebooks (even though RCA beat you by 11 years and it wasnt too bad, mine still works), but hey yours is thin and shiny and has rounded corners .... sue all other book reader makers for stealing your idea. Sigh, almost finished with my apple nuke, last shipment was a box of freaking pinball machine parts...... That Emmett Brown person will pay.... off to bed to dream about pizza, nite.

gokanis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
[citation][nom]target3[/nom]reading books on a ipad is ridiculous with the overly bright screen. Kindle Fire FTW[/citation]
I like the fire, but my kids are finding the 1click kinda annoying when the grandkids buy stuff by accident and charges show up on the credit cards, lol. Hope they fix that real fast. It is nice to put all of my baen books on though.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]They didn't invent the tablet, smartphone or mp3 player but ask random people and some will say they did.[/citation]

They invented the iPod, the iPad and the iPhone, the best selling devices in their genre of all time.

That's more impressive than who strung together a half-cocked not-fully-working tablet first (the inventor).

[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]Hilarious. All it takes is "Apple" in the title and the idiots are out in full force claiming that whatever they're doing is crap.[/citation]

Completely agree. Nobody is claiming Apple invented e-reading, but haters gon' hate.

What Apple may have invented (or developed) is an easier way of publishing content for teachers. Not something to slate them for.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Legislation should be put in place from now to ensure that what ever platform used in the education system, is open.

Anything put out by Apple will be locked-down, proprietary, also both mediocre and expensive. So there is little chance that what they put out will promote open standards. Apple is a parasite defrauding the clueless technologically sub-literate zombies out there.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
technologically sub-literate?

$14.99 per book instead of $99 for a hard copy.
Free app, and free app for publishers. 'Mediocre and expensive'?

Google search engine is locked-down and proprietary. I assume you boycott?

Status
Not open for further replies.