Apple Finally Awarded 'Lion' Trademark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kryan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
Can someone clarify this for me a little?
If I now write "Lion" (obviously the capital "L" is THE important thing here) ... and it in some way features in my product (I can think of Lion Cereal, google it), then Apple can now sue me???

or is this limited to software? computers? http://www.lion.com/Home are those guys gonna get it from Apple now? please tell me that's NOT true...

uvirra

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
[citation][nom]Kryan[/nom]Can someone clarify this for me a little?If I now write "Lion" (obviously the capital "L" is THE important thing here) ... and it in some way features in my product (I can think of Lion Cereal, google it), then Apple can now sue me???or is this limited to software? computers? http://www.lion.com/Home are those guys gonna get it from Apple now? please tell me that's NOT true...[/citation]
Most likely the Lion is only trademarked for IT related products by Apple. It is possible to have a trademark to be used by different industry without violating other same name trademark.
Example: Dove - Shower Gel and Dove chocolate. Both are from different industry but using the same name. They are trademarked under different category by 2 different company.
It is possible for Apple to trademark the word Lion across industries. Another thing to note, the trademark for Lion is only valid in US unless they do the same in other countries.
Burger King is already trademarked by some other guys in Australia, so they couldn't use that name, and instead known as 'Hungry Jack' there.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]uvirra[/nom]Most likely the Lion is only trademarked for IT related products by Apple. It is possible to have a trademark to be used by different industry without violating other same name trademark.Example: Dove - Shower Gel and Dove chocolate. Both are from different industry but using the same name. They are trademarked under different category by 2 different company.It is possible for Apple to trademark the word Lion across industries. Another thing to note, the trademark for Lion is only valid in US unless they do the same in other countries.Burger King is already trademarked by some other guys in Australia, so they couldn't use that name, and instead known as 'Hungry Jack' there.[/citation]
Don't doubt Apple, they have sued more than one company already for having an apple in their logo (that don't even look like Apples logo) and they weren't anywhere near the same industries as Apple.

Kryan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
Apple Lawyers vs. a pride of lions...I mean Lions. I'd pay to see that.

...although, the lions would probably have to declare bankruptcy before they can start nomming -.-

and thanks for clarifying how this is just an IT trademark. does make more sense.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
OK so someone should trademark Human ;)

I don't see how anyone can trademark something that is a name of something living, because you are infringing on that living things rights.

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Effing reall? A patent for the term 'App Store' Fuck this shit. Some total shit for brains idiot must be taking bribes to award patents. 'App Store'??? WTF!?

G

APPLE is worse than adolf hitler to society.

Wake up people. They are just as evil murdering companies who want to evolve the world by throwing them into a furnace or lawsuits.

All HEIL apple they say.

adrhellb

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
[citation][nom]The_Trutherizer[/nom]Effing reall? A patent for the term 'App Store' Fuck this shit. Some total shit for brains idiot must be taking bribes to award patents. 'App Store'??? WTF!?[/citation]

I would agree if Apple tried to patent 'Application Store,' but I actually agree Apple can have 'App Store.' (As I recall, Apple was the first to use the term, and 'App' isn't/wasn't actually a word. It was after Iphone everyone started acting hip saying apps instead of application for mobile phones. Correct me if I'm wrong.)

On-topic: Microsoft have 'Windows' for it's OS. Can't really complain Apple getting 'Lion.'

G

Thanks for that Hungry Jack pro-tip. If I ever go to Australia I won't avoid the place thinking they only sell biscuits!

Status
Not open for further replies.