Apple Gets Beaten by Nexus One in HTML5, Flash

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tu_illegalamigo

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]I am betting Steve has this HTML5 vs Flash position because 1) HTML 5 does not have DRM 2) Quicktime has DRM 3) Quicktime can be embedded in HTML 5Steve is looking to replace flash videos with quicktime videos[/citation]

That seems very plausible to me. Maybe with someone with more webdev knowledge can clarify, but is not Apple trying to muscle into html5 with proprietary crap? I heard somewhere that they`re doing that to Safari, anyone know more on that?

smeker

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
[citation][nom]nuster100[/nom]Do you have any evidence to back up your comments or is this another case of Apple bashing??I don't deny that flash has its uses, but I find myself increasingly using a flash blocking plug-in so I don't get bothered by ads. Certain tools I use for my job such a logmein are exceptions though.How do the android devices perform in the real world when presented with a flash heavy site such as for a recent movie etc? Do they run at near desktop speed, or is it reduced to a crawl?[/citation]

On HTC Incredible, Flash intensive sites reduce to crawl...

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
@LORD_ORION

Good noticed. The actual reasons are that Apple wants to earn big money with the patented h.264 video compression format! And of course what's in Apple's HTML5. Video tag with MP4 files having h.264 video in it.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]Kaiser_25[/nom]ya flash is totally viable, makes me mad the Steve jobs wont admit it, hes just trying to push HTML5 cuz its what he wants. Flash will be useful for years to come.[/citation]

LOL, surprised at this headline? "CEO touts own product as miraculous; rails on inferiority of competitor..."

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]ah flash, the cancer of the internet.i open up chrome and look at flash heavy sites because i block it completely in firefox, scroll over adds are the worst, having to watch where i move my mouse or else a flash movie will start and may crash my browser, or how about the adds with the blue text? i scroll over those my accident and holy shit i cant close or move them causing me to reopen the website so i can read the text its covering up.flash had its uses and is good for some things, but all the other times? its only a cancer that kills my web browsing experience.use a damn gif if you do nothing but a small animation, its less resource intensive than flash.[/citation]
An animated GIF? You're kidding right? On a GIF we're limited to just 256 colors. Even though GIF supports a transparency it doesn't have an alpha channel, so no shadows of any kind. I very rarely have problems with flash. Also the problems you're having with ads isn't related to flash. Or do you believe if the web migrates to HTML5 the ads will be less annoying?

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]I am betting Steve has this HTML5 vs Flash position because 1) HTML 5 does not have DRM 2) Quicktime has DRM 3) Quicktime can be embedded in HTML 5Steve is looking to replace flash videos with quicktime videos[/citation]

Oh god I hope not. Flash is what? 2-3 megs? Quicktime is 75 megs. I don't know of a single other media player that's 75 megs. It's also slow loading and LAGS OUT your entire computer when viewing a video. Flash does nothing of the sort on my system. It's funny that Apple fans hate flash for performance and stability issues when Quicktime is far far worse.

G

I don't deny that flash has its uses, but I find myself increasingly using a flash blocking plug-in so I don't get bothered by ads.

Dumbest comment of the day! Im gonna drop some knowledge. The ad people are going to switch to HTML 5 if everyone else switches to HTML 5. They wont stop making ads just because people stop using flash.

G

I think Apple is the only one with the problem. I just think they refuse to work with Adobe on making Flash run better on OS X and implement it into IOS4. No other OS has any issues with Flash but Apple's.
Apple needs to get a clue that they do not have the clout to just force a web tool into retirement.
I think Apple needs to be taken down a notch and I think that is happening with Android phones.

G

To all the iDiots that like to bash on Flash and just love HTML5 but know nothing about both. I'll give you a simple example so your simple minds can understand:

Try to make a pong game in Flash and in HTML5.
- In Flash it will take minutes to code and the performance will be smooth.
- In HTML5 (with Javascript and CSS or whatever you want to use) it will take hours if not days and the performance will be smooth as walking on shattered glass.

Now take this example and try to imagine building something like farmville.
I hate farmville but it's a good example of something impossible to do in HTML5.

Take your heads out of Steve's ass!

Status
Not open for further replies.