Apple, Google, and RIM All Tried to Buy Palm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lan

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
Personally, I would have liked to see RIM or Google get Palm. Google's doing pretty good on it's own though, and RIM combining with its longtime rival Palm could have been a potential powerhouse if done right.

greenbuck

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Who would you like to have seen purchase Palm? RIM. If Apple got it, it would have been a disaster for the smartphone industry.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Why is "everyone glad that Apple didn't get them". What a stupid assertion to make. I would much rather Apple have bought them, than HP. HP is like a black hole, buying up companies large and small every few months, for the sole purpose of killing the technology so it doesn't compete with them. This is the exact tactic Microsoft used throughout the 90's to dominate the market - buy out your competitors and bury them. It's disgusting.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I'm simply happy Apple did not get hold of Palm, but I do agree that HP seems clueless about it. Perhaps RIM/HTC could have made use of their portfolio.

AMDnoob

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
I think we speak of HP as if they're this little child who just touched the hot oven and learned that oven on = hot = bad. But that's not them... just looking at those PC market shares earlier clearly shows HP has got it going (whether you like it or not). They know technology up, down, and all around. THey aren't stupid and [usually] they aren't foolish either. I'm sure they have the resources to pour into market research and analysis in order to properly integrate and develop WebOS and other Palm technologies. I would simply say, don't underestimate the power of one of the largest and most influential global technology corporation in the world.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]Why is "everyone glad that Apple didn't get them". What a stupid assertion to make. I would much rather Apple have bought them, than HP. HP is like a black hole, buying up companies large and small every few months, for the sole purpose of killing the technology so it doesn't compete with them. This is the exact tactic Microsoft used throughout the 90's to dominate the market - buy out your competitors and bury them. It's disgusting.[/citation]
Every company that can does that (including Apple), it's how the world works.

vant

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Apple was the only suitor interested in keeping Palm's identity intact. iOS for touchscreen, WebOS for keypad. (Rumors)

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]The Apple pre wouldn't have rolled off the tongue so well.[/citation]
It could also suffer from reception problems. :p

Carlo1440

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
My current phone is a Palm Treo 750, and it would have been the last Palm I would have bought. I wouldn't give two sh*ts who bought Palm...I am happy it is going down the gurgler.

mikeadelic

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
I would have loved to see RIM acquire Palm. Palm had a massive GUI advantage over BB OS, which would have complemented very nicely with some of the core BB features. HTC acquiring Palm wouldn't have made as much sense as they have a great partnership with Google.

However, both options still sound more logical than HP's acquisition of Palm. I wouldn't write off HP at all at this point, as they do have experience with Pocket PCs, but I am still in a wait and see attitude. As long as we see plenty of WebOS in the future, I will be satisfied.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]Why is "everyone glad that Apple didn't get them". What a stupid assertion to make. I would much rather Apple have bought them, than HP. HP is like a black hole, buying up companies large and small every few months, for the sole purpose of killing the technology so it doesn't compete with them. This is the exact tactic Microsoft used throughout the 90's to dominate the market - buy out your competitors and bury them. It's disgusting.[/citation]
Cause Apple would have just used the patents to sue and try and shut down, or limit their competitors. Certain things even if patented need to be shared in order for things to happen, a lot of companies know these general needs are needed and don't go after companies who use this tech, Palm was one of them. They had the patents and the power way back to stop many competitors in their tracks, but they knew it would not end well.

Apple on the other hand doesn't care about the market or competition and just wants money and would stop common and needed tech from getting used just so they could be the only ones, screwing us in the process.

G

Apple would have been the best option and yeah I don't care if you PC-fangirls and Apple haters doesn't agree with me and vote me down. Cheers.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Dude, u don't get it. HP is NOT a name in the smartphone industry, therefore, no reason to buy them just to bury the competition. It was a good investment and I hope we'll see some good devices out of it. If not, well, it just means that people at HP are not capable of taking advantage of it.
As far as Apple is concwrned... that would have been a disaster because of the nature of iOS and let's admit it, Jobs' habit of saying "my way or the highway". He would have buried the WebOS just because it was not his product and that would have been a shame. I guess that's why people are happy Apple didn't get it.
Google... at least, their OS - Android - is open, so they don't have the same closed mentality as the despot at Apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.