Apple Granted Patent for Potential Gear VR Killer

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyBill40

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
Someone else makes something that's great, been out a while, and gets little fanfare. Apple basically copies the existing design, slaps their logo on it, and is given seemingly universal acclaim as being so innovative and a trendsetter.

I don't get it. I just don't get it.

KenZen2B

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
From what is shown (diagram) to be in their patent, there is nothing to indicate that this is for stereo (3D) viewing. The diagram clearly shows a mono display that slides into a viewing holder.

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
So... they patented puting a phone close to your eyes?
Wow, I would have never thought of that! (like.. you know... closing your blinders so that the TV looks like its not there, just the image).

jeremy2020

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
Umm..can we stop saying that Apple throwing their logo on something that exists is going to be a 'killer'. Jobs is gone. Deal with it.

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014

I don't think it's as much copying as it is as studying the market and what's working and what's not, then executing. For example, tablets existed long before the iPad, but Apple found a way to make them easier to use. We'll have to see if being a "fast follower" helps in the wearables era, which includes the watch and possibly VR.

SkyBill40

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
I see your point, Mark. All we can do is wait and see. While I'm not a fan of Apple's devices, they are rather crafty and slick in their design implementation and making their devices give the appearance of being better than they may actually be. For some, that's all that matters. For others, it's about how well the device works. For everyone else, it's finding the happy medium of both.

Thanks for the response.

Why is apple given a patent for something that allready clearly exists?
damn patent office!
Actually, their patent application pre-dates the Gear VR and Oculus.

The problem with the patent is that it specifies a phone, rather than a display. Head-mounted displays have been around for decades. Using the display on your phone instead of a dedicated display is what I'd call "obvious", and in fact not even an invention. Otherwise you're opening up the door to all sorts of stupid patents like using your TV as a computer monitor, or using a white wall as a projector screen, or using your car's engine as an emergency power generator.

bit_user

Distinguished
Herald
Jan 20, 2010
This is lame and the headline is clickbait. If apple ever brings such a product to market, it'd just be a stop-gap measure showing they've been wrong-footed by rapid developments in the tech by Sony, Occulus, and Microsoft. This product would kill nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.