Apple: Jailbreaking iPhone Could Crash Cell Towers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
nice... they're using the US Government's scare tactics... let's see how this pans out for them... it's interesting that their products are so adored yet are so restrictive on their users... i don't know of any other products that have such overbearing protection mechanism that people still want to have the product... just look at the DRM on media issue... makes ya wonder wot people are really thinking...

msdss

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
So do the right thing Apple, and unlock your god damned devil phone so that people don't have to do it to get the functionality thats freely available to other phones.

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
good for you apple! this is what you get for trying to create the most restricted and locked up "open platform" ever conceived.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
why are you all acting like you have no choice but to use or want to use an iphone? all apple products are expensive status symbols... they're premium products and have a premium price... why would you think you could buy one cheap and do things it was not created to do? they're not forcing you to buy it in the first place... you choose to buy it and in so agree to use it the way they made it to be and suffer through the changes they make in the future. apple does not have to support you and your cheap goals... they're out to get the premium market, not the cheap skates... get over it and buy a phone you can afford with the software options you know you want and the device suppports... complaining about the iphone and it's restrictive policies is like buying a high end blender and complaining because it doesn't come with or use the attachment your old 20 dollar one came with...

Zoonie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
"Because jailbreaking makes hacking of the BPP software much easier, jailbreaking affords an avenue for hackers to accomplish a number of undesirable things on the network,"

Ok.. so I guess the iPhone should be taken off the shelves, seeing that it could be potentially be used by hackers, jailbroken then used to hack networks bla bla bla bla

How can these companies get away with accusations that contain the words "potentially" or "can be used" etc? Should we start banning knives, forks, electricity outlets and the internet too? I see potential harm in all of these.
"Cause the internet can be used to hack a server".

wifiwolf

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
security at it's best. wonder what are those on yesterday's article saying now about reasonable risk since it's not only this security flaw but one more sms flaw to add to it.
Nice work apple...

cyprod

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Hmm, allow free anonymous phone calls. I thought that phone call establishment required an MSISDN and IMSI number to be transmitted at initial cell registration, and all data transmitted after this fact was broadcast encrypted via a milinage private-private key, which is programmed into the HLR and SIM at time of phone activation at the kiosk for 3G networks, and if another phone attempted to register with an incorrect IMSI and MSISDN without encrypting with the correct key it would be dropped, and without authorization in the HLR the phone would never even be able to register with a tower. But what would I know, I only work for ericsson and did the initial acceptance testing for our portable 3G network in a box and had to learn how to provision phones into the system... There's other things that could be mentioned as well as to why this isn't bloodly likely, but I don't want to rant.

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
Hanin33: If I purchase a product, I will use it however I damned well please. What is a car maker decided to place software in the on-board computer that cut the car off if you go over 50 MPH, or if you enter a neighborhood they do not want you to be in. What if they disabled AWD SUVs that went off-road?

That is essentially what Apple is doing with the iPhone. If I want to run programs like Google Voice, or any other host of apps, then I have the right to do it. If Apple refuses to give me full use of the device I paid for, then I will hack it. I am not stealing, or even hurting Apple by hacking a device to use software they do not like.

I paid for it, and damn it I will use it as I wish.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
[citation][nom]montezuma[/nom]Hanin33: If I purchase a product, I will use it however I damned well please. What is a car maker decided to place software in the on-board computer that cut the car off if you go over 50 MPH, or if you enter a neighborhood they do not want you to be in. What if they disabled AWD SUVs that went off-road?That is essentially what Apple is doing with the iPhone. If I want to run programs like Google Voice, or any other host of apps, then I have the right to do it. If Apple refuses to give me full use of the device I paid for, then I will hack it. I am not stealing, or even hurting Apple by hacking a device to use software they do not like.I paid for it, and damn it I will use it as I wish.[/citation]

uh... hello, McFly... you buy another car that doesn't have the restrictions you dislike... there are many many other phones that do what everyone seems to want to do with them... buy one of those... the same holds true in cars... so your analogy holds no water...

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
people, apple does not force you to buy their phones... you choose to buy them knowing full well they're highly restrictive... why in the heck are you complaining after the fact?

the chickens are coming home to rooster, bobby boucher...

G

As much as I hate apple, I might just buy an iphone so i can crash a tower.

O yeah 1st post :)

Status
Not open for further replies.