Apple: Jailbreaking iPhone Could Crash Cell Towers

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mofnet

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
Want to bring down a whole network of cellphones? - there's an app for that.
- i like that...

i agree with all that apple are rather restrictive in their practices. but we must remember that while we buy the hardware (albeit subsidised through the networks), we do not buy the software, we simply buy a license to run the software.

This is similar to other forms of media, if you buy a book, you cannot there-after simply alter the wordings of a few paragraphs then re-release it as your own works. The same as you could not copy chunks of a dvd movie and incorporate them into a movie of your own and release it.. In the same way, you cannot modify the software on a device then release it as your own for other people to use.

Thats the issue at point here, and apple will win this one everytime.

If somebody created an entirely new operating system that happened to run on the apple hardware then that might be a different game and it would stand a chance of succeeding, but all people are doing is "altering" apples software which is and should always be illegal just as it is with other forms of media.

mofnet has a good point. Apple never gave permission to jailbreak their phone. Even if you bought their product it does not give you permission to do such modification. I do believe apple's statement to be way over the top; however, they do have a valid argument.

What is it that people want/need so badly that they must jailbreak a phone? I've had a cellphone for years and the thought has not crossed my mind once.

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
[citation][nom]akhodjaev[/nom]As much as i like iphone. I hate apple policies and actions 10times more... I wish other companies sooner produce big screen mobile phones... so i could giveup my iphone... i hate it's controlAnyways, I think apple is abusing its powers of believing that everyone likes their products... this will be played against them in near future[/citation]
HTC diamond 2 anyone?

vh1atomicpunk

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
In other news, Apple claims that if AT&T doesn't improve infrastructure before marketing even more data intensive services to their customers, their service will become shittier.

Duh! Jailbreaking won't 'crash' cell towers, too much traffic is the issue.

G

I don't see what the big deal is. Apple makes a phone. People drool over it and buy it in droves. Apple decides to limit it. So what? If you don't like it, MOVE ON people. Nobody is telling you to stick with Apple. Stop whining with your Iphones in your pockets and ditch them. Show Apple a monetary message, and then they'll listen. If you don't have the guts to get rid of your Iphone, quit griping.

3nigma

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
hmmm. free phone calls... reminds me of Steve Jobs and his buddy Wozniak did before they founded Apple. :p

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Hanin33[/nom]people, apple does not force you to buy their phones... you choose to buy them knowing full well they're highly restrictive... why in the heck are you complaining after the fact? the chickens are coming home to rooster, bobby boucher...[/citation]

I am readying through this and I had a strong urge to login to my account and post a question to you.

Do you jack-off to pictures of Steve Jobs at night?

You are nothing more than one of the many iTards out there that worhip false idols.

I don't have to go purchase a different car or phone or microwave or toilet or whatever else I choose to purchase. My money...my decision...my item. I OWN IT.

If it doesn't do what I want it to do then I have a decision to make myself. Get rid of it and purchase something different or try and fix what I have. Apple is selling a broken product and people are taking upon themselves to fix it and its ever bit their right to do so.

If I have a car and it does not have something I want currently in it I will fix that problem by installing what I want. If the color is wrong I will paint it. I will purchase every aftermarket product I can find and install it in a 1971 Ford Pinto if I damn well please because that is my choice not Ford's and sure as hell not yours.

This is about control and Apple losing it. Steve Jobs is an over controlling, narcissistic, egomaniacal tryant and the way the Apple corporation is run reflects his beliefs.

If I choose to purchase one of his products he should say thank you and then shut the f*ck up and go swim around in the billions of dollars that are made by people purchasing his products. It's mine now and I will throw it off a cliff if I fell like it.

b.g.i.y.d. this is to you:
Honestly, grow up. keep the criticism contructive/mature or resist the urge to respond. Also, just because you purchased something does not mean you can do whatever you wish. If you purchased windows and "modified the code" so it did what you wanted would you call that okay(and legal?? This is not about a product working and then failing to work (ie, broken requiring a fix.) This is about a product which has known limitations (albiet software restrictions) before you purchase it.

To all:
I will ask again. Why bother to jailbreak your phone? On a side note, downrating someone for providing a rational response is a bit lame. thanks.

G

I remember when Apple crowed about how tight the security of a Mac was, that viruses and malware wouldn't affect their computers and therefore you should buy a Mac instead of a PC. Guess now that iPhones are so easily exploitable, you should use the same logic and AVOID them at all costs?

surrept420

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Umm. The 3g network is the same network any pocketpc phone uses. You think pocketpc's don't have security flaws. I'm pretty sure hacking a iphone isn't going to take down any cellphone towers. What a bunch of nonsense.

agentjon

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
[citation][nom]Hanin33[/nom]nice... they're using the US Government's scare tactics... let's see how this pans out for them... it's interesting that their products are so adored yet are so restrictive on their users... i don't know of any other products that have such overbearing protection mechanism that people still want to have the product... just look at the DRM on media issue... makes ya wonder wot people are really thinking...[/citation]

That's what I don't get about Apple people. They carry about Microsoft being so oppressive but just look at the lenghts Apple goes through to stop people.

As long as you use their software MS doesn't give a crap who's hardware or service you use the software on. Apple wants you to buy their software, their special hardware,and use their overhyped and priced services. Who's the real evil in the world?

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Wow, apple is sounding more and more like the government every day. What's next: "all people who don't but Apple are terrorists"!? You're either with Apple, or you're with THEM!

seatrotter

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
In honor of Apple's statement, could someone re-post the "demotivational poster" about a kitten being killed/dying everytime you fap, though this time, everytime you jailbreak. Maybe this could become a big thing. Who knows? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.