Apple Lawyers Using Jailbroken iPhones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Commandodan[/nom]It's 'reins' not 'reigns' there in the last sentence... Come on people[/citation]
I certainly hope english isn't your first language.

reins
–plural noun
1. the kidneys.
2. the region of the kidneys, or the lower part of the back.
3. (esp. in Biblical use) the seat of the feelings or affections, formerly identified with the kidneys.

reign
n.

1. Exercise of sovereign power, as by a monarch.
2. The period during which a monarch rules.
3. Dominance or widespread influence: the reign of reason.

intr.v. reigned, reign·ing, reigns

1. To exercise sovereign power.
2. To hold the title of monarch, but with limited authority.
3. To be predominant or prevalent: Panic reigned as the fire spread.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
"Intentional mis-spelling"... relax! Anyway, Apple seems like they are testing the waters in a sort of reverse psychology. How could something like this go "UN-NOTICED". Ridiculous.

SecksPanther

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
Tindytim, you should be a journalist. Nice work presenting only the information that supports your point and deliberately overlooking that which refutes it.

rein
–noun 1. Often, reins. a leather strap, fastened to each end of the bit of a bridle, by which the rider or driver controls a horse or other animal by pulling so as to exert pressure on the bit.
2. any of certain other straps or thongs forming part of a harness, as a checkrein.
3. any means of curbing, controlling, or directing; check; restraint.
4. reins, the controlling or directing power: the reins of government.

I believe this is what the author intended to use.

As for jailbreaking, you could support Apple's lockdown on the device if it's to keep malicious software off of their carrier's cell network, but it's easy to understand why consumers feel they should be in complete control of the device they purchased.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Who -1'd me? Kevin surprisingly used a word correctly, someone spewed some crap information, I corrected them. Kevin said "reign" and he used the word correctly.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]hillarymakesmecry[/nom]I'm pretty sure the primary purpose of jailbreaking is installing stolen, hacked software.[/citation]
Well, as someone who owns an iPhone, I happen to know your wrong. The main reason to jailbreak an iPhone is to use a different carrier or install completely legal software that Apple hasnt approved. Just because Apple didnt approve of it doesnt mean it is hacked or stolen.

bounty

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
[citation][nom]seckspanther[/nom]As for jailbreaking, you could support Apple's lockdown on the device if it's to keep malicious software off of their carrier's cell network, [/citation]

This part of your argument is like if Microsoft said you can only install MS apps to protect your ISP. I'm gonna go ahead and say no.

SecksPanther

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
[citation][nom]bounty[/nom]This part of your argument is like if Microsoft said you can only install MS apps to protect your ISP. I'm gonna go ahead and say no.[/citation]
That's a great point, but the problem is you are thinking logically. Try thinking like Apple instead. :) I am of the impression their computers are quite resistant to custom upgrades. Everything has to be done through Apple for about 2x market value.

Apple iPod? Users typically have to use iTunes, although there are (thankfully) other programs out there like Floola that will allow a somewhat savvy user much more flexibility and control of their iPod.

In other words, Apple prefers lockdown mode. They should change their company name to Warden (not that I've ever spent any time in prison).

I'm not saying Apple is horrible or pathetic. They've managed to consistently see a positive number on the bottom line (i.e. profit) so it seems to be working for them. I just think they are of a different mindset when it comes to their customers, so their stance on the iPhone really doesn't surprise me.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]SecksPanther[/nom]That's a great point, but the problem is you are thinking logically. Try thinking like Apple instead. I am of the impression their computers are quite resistant to custom upgrades. Everything has to be done through Apple for about 2x market value.Apple iPod? Users typically have to use iTunes, although there are (thankfully) other programs out there like Floola that will allow a somewhat savvy user much more flexibility and control of their iPod.In other words, Apple prefers lockdown mode. They should change their company name to Warden (not that I've ever spent any time in prison).I'm not saying Apple is horrible or pathetic. They've managed to consistently see a positive number on the bottom line (i.e. profit) so it seems to be working for them. I just think they are of a different mindset when it comes to their customers, so their stance on the iPhone really doesn't surprise me.[/citation]

I think in general apple users want the lockdowns. They want to be told what to do, and how to do it. They pay a premium for being protected from custom software which they think will hurt them. They don't want to know that there's much greener grass on our side of the fence. That's why the apple system works in the first place.
Now the iphone is a bit more tricky, as it initially offered something no other phone did, thus tricking otherwise intelligent people into invest in apple.

o0RaidR0o

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
[citation][nom]SecksPanther[/nom]Tindytim, you should be a journalist. Nice work presenting only the information that supports your point and deliberately overlooking that which refutes it.rein–noun 1. Often, reins. a leather strap, fastened to each end of the bit of a bridle, by which the rider or driver controls a horse or other animal by pulling so as to exert pressure on the bit. 2. any of certain other straps or thongs forming part of a harness, as a checkrein. 3. any means of curbing, controlling, or directing; check; restraint. 4. reins, the controlling or directing power: the reins of government. I believe this is what the author intended to use.As for jailbreaking, you could support Apple's lockdown on the device if it's to keep malicious software off of their carrier's cell network, but it's easy to understand why consumers feel they should be in complete control of the device they purchased.[/citation]
I think since the advent of the iPhone or any other communication device it goes without saying no one wants malicious software on there network. I don't think Tindytim is overlooking what needn't be mentioned nor is the story opinion oriented, but merely reflects as Tindytim mentions, but from the looks of the patent illustration, even Apple attorneys want a little freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.