Apple Licenses Yet Another Cisco Trademark

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

requiemsallure

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
is it just me or is everyone submitting to apple... i could see some companies doing it but CISCO? i couldn't see them submitting. please tell me if im looking at this wrong, but that is what it seems like to me.

oncall

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
"is it just me or is everyone submitting to apple... i could see some companies doing it but CISCO?"

You're suggesting Cisco say no? Cisco: "Sorry Steve, IOS is a household name in routers and we have big BIG plans for it, you're millions are no good here." LOL.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
[citation][nom]Requiemsallure[/nom]is it just me or is everyone submitting to apple... i could see some companies doing it but CISCO? i couldn't see them submitting. please tell me if im looking at this wrong, but that is what it seems like to me.[/citation]

I'm sure Cisco got a nice amount of $$$$ to add to their balance sheet. Plus, it's not like every Betty & Joe on the street knows Cisco uses "iOS" in their networking gear.

Pretty smart move business wise if you ask me =)

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Honestly, Apple has used iEverything for at least the past decade. So creating a product called iSomething just seems like a way to latch onto Apple's success more than anything.

G

I think iOSX would have been a better choice :p. Cisco has been using the IOS term for there router/switch OSs for a very long time.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
[citation][nom]opmopadop[/nom]I will sell you this one apple... FacePalm[/citation]

Sorry, HP is already working on that after buying Palm... =p

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]datawrecker[/nom]I guess Apple doesn't do anything original anymore.[/citation]
I bet Apple came up with the name then did a search to see if it open, found out Cisco gad it but obviously liked it so much they did the right thing and paid Cisco to use it.

theubersmurf

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Not for this article, I saidThe iPhone, the iPhone, THE IPHONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Once you have beaten someone once you just start to take the pisshttp://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/2007/corp_011007.htmlWhy does no one do research before automatically siding with Apple?[/citation]They settled, in perhaps an amicable way. link.

theubersmurf

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]It reinforces the known fact that Aplle cannot do anything for themselves and steal anything they want.Cisco should have hit tem with the hardest lawsuit the first time and again with this one.Someone needs to tell Apple to get bent and take a real stand against this sort of thing.[/citation]That's ridiculous. I get that you hate apple, it's pretty clear from your post. The names were suitable considering their past products, and while they ran aground cisco's trademarks in the process, that doesn't mean that they can't do anything for themselves, nor does it mean that cisco should have pursued a draconian lawsuit over it. And take a real stand? Are you high? Would you even look through a long list of copyrighted terms prior to naming your product? That's an excruciating task for someone to perform.

In a more positive treatment of your comments, a company smaller than apple would likely have faced a draconian lawsuit, particularly if that product were successful. And in that way it's likely the system that exists favoring the wealthy. But that's not something anyone is trying to fix. Your complaints here, even if that was the point, don't count. You need to actually DO something about it in an arena that matters.

I'm not thrilled with Apple's increasingly proprietary crap either. And accusing Jason Chen and Gizmodo of extortion put me solidly in the Anti-Apple camp. And the people blindly supportive of Apple in that situation do nothing to foster any ameliorative feelings for them. But your comments are way overboard man, sorry.

In 2012, Apple will launch a new computer called the iUSA, Obama has licensed the name of the country to Apple because Apple is now the world's richest superpower and the country needed some cash to pay for health care.

USA will change it's name to something similar and well know, USSR. Jobs was quoted as saying "you should see my sex life now that I own the country."

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]hang-the-9[/nom]In 2012, Apple will launch a new computer called the iUSA, Obama has licensed the name of the country to Apple because Apple is now the world's richest superpower and the country needed some cash to pay for health care.USA will change it's name to something similar and well know, USSR. Jobs was quoted as saying "you should see my sex life now that I own the country."[/citation]

However, by then Google's advertising empire will have become so vast they too will be able to create a real world empire. Both will then take licenses on a nuclear weapon and start nuking each other.

Meanwhile, Microsoft will continue working as it has for decades, or at least until his Jobsness decides it won't hurt to 'accidently' nuke Redmond as well as the Googlepire.

deanjo

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]It reinforces the known fact that Aplle cannot do anything for themselves and steal anything they want.Cisco should have hit tem with the hardest lawsuit the first time and again with this one.Someone needs to tell Apple to get bent and take a real stand against this sort of thing.[/citation]

Next thing you know they will try to take your iDiot brand.

bebangs

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
"Oh, and in case you're wondering, the name for Apple's video calling software, FaceTime, was owned by another company too. FaceTime Communications sold it to Apple and plans to change its name completely."

to be named - iFacePalm

Status
Not open for further replies.