Apple Mac OS X 10 Years Old Today

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]dbfm[/nom]I understand why things are the way they are, but I wouldn't want anybody to think that Apple (or any business) does what it does in the interest of consumer choice.[/citation]

Its one of several reasons Apple only sell a single computer out of twenty(!) world wide, while Microsoft enjoys Windows installed in eighteen of those. If the consumer wants tons of good quality software or enjoy a ton of good games its easy to see why most choose Windows, its the standard (with a huge margain) and hence has most software for it!

Not to mention you get those benefits cheaper as well!

mj4358

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]Its one of several reasons Apple only sell a single computer out of twenty(!) world wide, while Microsoft enjoys Windows installed in eighteen of those. If the consumer wants tons of good quality software or enjoy a ton of good games its easy to see why most choose Windows, its the standard (with a huge margain) and hence has most software for it!Not to mention you get those benefits cheaper as well![/citation]

As Apple, BMW,Rolex, Gucci and any othe over priced consumer products show that price is not always the route to profitablity. Apple does not wish to compete with Windows for market share. Why should they? Yea it gives you a choice in the cheap PC relm...but that catagory is saturated with cheap products..... hell all the other pc computer makers as a whole really dont have anything that sets it apart from any other PC maker. Why do you think companies are all jumping on Android...HP developing WebOS because they realize that in order to be profitable in the long term you have to set your products apart from everyone else's products in that category.
They see Apple being profitable even with smaller market share and still garner higher prices and developer support. Not to mention $51 Bil in the bank. I have read many CEO's of other pc makers stating that Apples closed system will fall to open, windows centric type paradigm. It hasnt happend. Besides, Apple learned from the past when they licesenced their OS in the and it failed....badly.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]mj4358[/nom]As Apple, BMW,Rolex, Gucci and any othe over priced consumer products show that price is not always the route to profitablity.[/citation]

Branding is a good way to earn profit, its just amazing that apple managed to sell their usual one gen old regular pc hardware to as many as five percent.

If i purchased a BMW for instance like your example of brands, you get a way better car than if you purchased a cheap ford. It has a way more powerful engine, better transmission and better seats ect.

When purchasing a mac the purchaser get a regular PC with a different chassis and a different wheel to control it. The main computer components remains the same but then again its not the car industry where performance is one of the main metrics and apple for sure have avoided the performance discussion for a reason.

As to their company's computer sales - Their bank account is filled from their other devices, the computer revenue isn't impressive at all. If it weren't for the ipod sales not to long ago the mac would likely been in the grave today. Claiming apple is really successful in their computer division by referring to numbers from the entire company is well laughable.

mj4358

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Do you have a Mac? Do you have a BMW? Did you have a Ford? If you can answer yes to all...then you would realize that better built quality like uni-body construction, custom made motherboards and case which all point to refinement and overall engineering that HP, Dell, Acer does not do. Now, lets look at custom pc makers like Main Gear, Voodoo, Falcon Northwest. What do you get....you get an extreamly over priced computer with truely off the self parts with oragami type wiring and a fancy paint Job. is that really worth the price? To some yes. Its all in what you want to do and how much you like attention to detail, true customer service and quality product.
Besides a BMW still uses the same type of parts like a ford....tires, gas, oil, and also has a higher repair frequency than a ford.....and you still pay more.. So are you really getting what you paid for?
http://www.jdpower.com/autos/BMW/3-Series/2010/Sedan/
http://www.jdpower.com/autos/Ford/Taurus/2010/Sedan/

http://i.techrepublic.com.com/blogs/pcworld-laptops.jpg?tag=mantle_skin;content

The link above shows PC makers reliability during 2010

mj4358

Distinguished
May 28, 2009

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
did u just seriously paste 2 blatant apple fanboy sites as sources?

Only the laptops sell these days and I'm sorry but my 10 year old computer gathering dust in the loft has the same kind of parts as the PC i'm using now, that doesnt mean that they perform the same does it?

I dont care about unibody, i care about how well the product performs and its actual usability how does its case have anything to do with that? Also pretty much every laptop motherboard is custom made hence the fact that you cant upgrade them

mj4358

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
If you look at the source the "fanboy" site use then you would realize my point. Besides since you dont care about refinement....whats you argument against apple other than they cost too much or they use pc parts or Steve Jobs is evil 5 grader arguments?
And no the laptop motherboards are not custom made specific to dell, hp etc....they all use OEM motherboards to keep the cost down. The only thing custom is the case the motherboard is in.

dbfm

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
mj4358: You're being a bit silly now...

Dell don't use custom made MB's for laptops? That just isn't true is it? Well? is it?

I haven't got a problem with Apple. They make great products which are very pretty. I have got a problem with you, saying:
[citation][nom]mj4358[/nom]That would suck if Apple released it for all generic PC makers to use.[/citation]

That wouldn't suck at all....that would be great, that's all I was saying...

mj4358

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Well if the MB in laptops are not custom then how can dell sell a laptop for $500-600 dollars. Now think back when dell made the Adamo laptop to compete with Apples Macbook Air....how much was that? It was a hell of alot more than their more powerful $500-600 Laptops and thats partly due to having a custom made mother board.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]mj4358[/nom]http://i.techrepublic.com.com/blog - The link above shows PC makers reliability during 2010[/citation]

The above link of PC reliability you provided us shows that Apple pc's are more likely to have hardware malfunctions, looking in the "Any Failed Components Replaced" category several of the top Win PC brands have better rating. This likely point towards more software oriented issues with the Win PC's rather than hardware reliability. Also its alot of N/A it is in this chart pointing towards inconclusivness.

As for the gained marketshare of mac im amazed apple didn't gain any momentum when microsoft made their huge misstake called vista, it had poor reliability at start due to completly new driver model and it plagued the user with alot of security oriented features like uac. It only lead to the conclusion that the customers are loyal to windows.

dbfm

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
Economy of scale. Dell make so many machines that it's no more expensive for them to have custom made boards than it would be to use existing ones. Also, there are no OEM laptop boards....well, virtually none:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Shuttle-Laptop-Motherboards,9396.html

Anyway, it's the same model as Apple in that respect. Who would use the Dell support and maintenance infrastructure if "just anybody" could buy the key parts direct from the manufactures and fit them?

Adamo was stupidly thin, that's why it was expensive.

mj4358

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
"The above link of PC reliability you provided us shows that Apple pc's are more likely to have hardware malfunctions, looking in the "Any Failed Components Replaced" category several of the top Win PC brands have better rating."

Dell, Gateway, and HP is worse than average.....
I agree regarding the inconclusiveness but it doesn't negate from the fact for 2010 of Apple's overall reliability.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]mj4358[/nom]Do you have a Mac? Do you have a BMW? Did you have a Ford? If you can answer yes to all...then you would realize that better built quality like uni-body construction, custom made motherboards and case which all point to refinement and overall engineering that HP, Dell, Acer does not do. Now, lets look at custom pc makers like Main Gear, Voodoo, Falcon Northwest. What do you get....you get an extreamly over priced computer with truely off the self parts with oragami type wiring and a fancy paint Job. is that really worth the price? To some yes. Its all in what you want to do and how much you like attention to detail, true customer service and quality product. Besides a BMW still uses the same type of parts like a ford....tires, gas, oil, and also has a higher repair frequency than a ford.....and you still pay more.. So are you really getting what you paid for?http://www.jdpower.com/autos/BMW/3-Series/2010/Sedan/http://www.jdpower.com/autos/Ford/Taurus/2010/Sedan/http://i.techrepublic.com.com/blog [...] in;contentThe link above shows PC makers reliability during 2010[/citation]
The reliability result is hardly remarkable. Apple doesn't have ultra cheap laptops like many other manufacturers. A netbook is a lot more likely to fail than a laptop, and a cheap laptop is also more likely to fail than an expensive one. Apple doesn't sell netbooks or cheap laptops so this results in a better overall reliability score. Even so in some studies Apple is not in front. Studies like this one.

http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/SquareTrade_laptop_reliability_1109.pdf

That puts Asus in first place, Toshiba in second, Sony in third and Apple in fourth.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]mj4358[/nom]Oh and to say Apple sales are laughable when you consider that they cost more than the generic pc is is a flawed assumption.....http://www.macrumors.com/2010/10/1 [...] 10-in-u-s/http://www.appleinsider.com/articl [...] share.htmlSony is not even in the top 5...Market share is increasing all with out having to resort to price wars with HP, Dell Acer.[/citation]
Apple doesn't only sell in the USA. Apple computers are a lot more popular in the states than in any other country.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
[citation][nom]tacoslave[/nom]i always liked vista never bluescreened, never ran slow( and i was running a pentium dual core @1.8 ghz and 2gb of ram)still running vista actually but now i overclocked to 3.6ghz and threw 4gb of ram and a 6850 and still feeling fresh. Maybe its because its fashionable to dis Vista and love 7 because to me neither seems faster (i triple boot ubuntu,7, and Vista(main).[/citation]
+1 for ubuntu. the best thing i liked was fully functional desktop/browser in 15 seconds from the power on

G

Lion isn't the first version to support the Mac AppStore, this was obviously posted too early with little details. Update your post to reflect the fact Snow Leopard 10.6.6 onwards supports the Mac AppStore. Plus Leopard is 10.5, not 10.6.

xambron

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
OS X is really 10 years old, I didn't realize it. I've been using Windows for longer than that and will continue to do so. I don't think OS X gives enough freedom to do what you want, it's almost like using Apple's OS is going backwards instead of making progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.