Apple Maps Utilizes 80 Percent Less Data Than Google Maps

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]ttrr[/nom]Google has Google maps, Google sky maps, and now Google is mapping the ocean. Seems like Google will map the moon and mars before apple finishes a decent state map.[/citation]

Actually Google has mapped the Moon and Mars already.
Admittedly, the data on local businesses is still a bit sketchy.

http://www.google.com/moon
http://www.google.com/mars

mhch4

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
I really think this site is biased in favor of Apple, not missing an opportunity to publish buzz and information, which in reality is completely useless. I probably should stop visiting this site.

What really counts is what does work, and if in some future Apple maps is good, great, users will decide which phone and apps he prefers. I bet Google maps will be cheaper all costs considered.

Pointdexter

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
"It's worth noting that Google Maps running on Android devices already run on vector-based graphics."

That's where I realized I lost my time reading this article ... a little misleading title as I tought it was comparing maps from IOS and Android ...

G

I have had less problems with the new map system than google. I have used the GPS function and it has worked fine for me. I like google maps, but I have had no problems with the new map system..

AndrewJacksonZA

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
I thought that the headline "Apple Maps Utilizes 80 Percent Less Data Than Google Maps" meant that Apple uses 80% less data than Google in constructing their maps, which is why they're so inaccurate.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]thecolorblue[/nom]btw - if google maps a image based maps and apple maps are vector based, then once apple gets their $#!% together they could (in theory) have an equal quality product with much less bandwith requiment.[/citation]
So you're saying that if, as some point, Apple has a mapping app as good as Google, they'll have a mapping app as good as Google. Insightful.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Shocking....Google Maps runs much better on Android than iOS!?! Another reason Apple had to go with their own version. Either way both Apple and Google offer Maps as a free service so kudos to both, but of course Google's version is much more refined.

G

A lot of you people forget that Google Maps on Android has been using Vector Maps for over 2 years now. Have no idea why it was not on iOS. But I have to assume it has something to do with developing apps on a closed system, possibly Google couldn't use vector maps because of the system they were forced to program within. Or Google intentionally kept the maps larger on Apple devices to make Android more appealing to the consumer with faster loading maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.