Apple 'Missed Something' Without Verizon iPhone

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
The reason why essentially every Analyst see's apple ending up with between %5 and %10 of the smatphone market is because of their limited choice. Some people like the blackberry keyboards, some people like qwerty keyboards, some people like the little "pearl" ball for navigation. If these designs were all integrated into a type of iPhone then they would be able to market to all audiences. Verizon users have had a taste of Choice. Sure some of them will want iPhones, but it will mostly canabalize AT&T not make new customers.

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
I think the actual phrase should have been "Verizon did not want to give up much control of device". You have to remember that iPhone was the first device not being connected to the wireless supplier AT ALL in all parts but phoning itself. Verizon simply did not want to loose the control if its devices. And this is not because Verizon is "evil" but because there were legitimate questions like "who provides support if something does not work on phone but is not related to the wireless part of the phone?"

salesnospam

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
Name all the companies that can sell 40 *MILLION* new phones... even though they are all tied to an awful company called AT&T.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]dallaswits[/nom]With WP7 making a hell of an entrance, and android boasting the largest feature set, i am left wondering what the heck apple even has to offer.......[/citation]

Several hundred thousand more apps than both platforms combined. Just to name one thing.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Apple didn't want too much control. The deal fell through because Verizon wanted all of its crap on the phone. VCast, Verizon navigator, etc. Apple said no so Verizon said No. Verizon nixed the deal. Apple wasn't asking for anything unrealistic.

G

And to those who think open is better.... another example is the graphics library... OpenGL was originally more advanced than DirectX way back in 1990's, but now, look how far the "open platform" went versus the "closed platform".

TemjinGold

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
[citation][nom]pooflinger1[/nom]Just because a stock is at a higher selling point than another companies does not mean the company is worth more as a whole or more successful. Microsoft has done 9 stock splits over the years while apple has only done 2. Had apple done the same number of splits, their stock would be selling for considerable less. Had Microsoft not done these splits their stock would be selling for well over $1000 at this point. Much higher than apples would be.[/citation]

Not defending either side but you may want to recheck your figures there. Apple indeed has the higher market cap right now.

G

check out youtube by greekthuglife69 see how verizon treats their workers u already know how they treat u

xpax

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
[citation][nom]tehpwnerer1918[/nom]Wow... 20+ phones on every carrier beats one phone on one carrier in the U.S. That's amazing...Golf clap for you genius.[/citation]
Yep, you're right -- that does seem like a giant hole in Apple's strategy. They shouldn't lock themselves into a single carrier, and they should license their OS for free to handset manufacturers. Then they could take the entire market!

G

I used to want the iPhone and could not wait for it to come to Verizon. But after having a iPod Touch and finding that IOS4 has killed battery life. I am not so sure I want to sign a two year agreement and pay all the data fee's for such a phone.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]jescott418[/nom]I used to want the iPhone and could not wait for it to come to Verizon. But after having a iPod Touch and finding that IOS4 has killed battery life. I am not so sure I want to sign a two year agreement and pay all the data fee's for such a phone.i don't even dare look at the price for a data plan for the iphone. i cringe just thinking about it[/citation]

i don't even dare look at the price for a data plan for the iphone. i cringe just thinking about it

if i had money to burn then i would get the iphone but other than that its not worth it especially now that no one offers an unlimited data plan anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.