Apple Patches Siri's Love for the Lumia 900

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
Holes have been identified in Apple software but Apple is more worried about what Siri is saying to Apple-loyalists? If Apple plugged holes in it's software as fast as it issued the patch for Siri then maybe they wouldn't be years behind in security? lawlz

smleth

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
If google had done the same thing in it's search engine it would be sued for anti competative activitys.

I hope Apple gets busted for this.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]BSMonitor[/nom]Right, cause Microsoft or HTC go around saying, "Yeah, that Samsung phone is the BEST"ROFLMFAO[/citation]
Microsoft might, seeing as they DONT MAKE PHONES

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]BSMonitor[/nom]Right, cause Microsoft or HTC go around saying, "Yeah, that Samsung phone is the BEST"ROFLMFAO[/citation]
You don't seem to know how this works, Siri is looking up info from search engines and giving the results given based on that information. What Apple did was directly change the results so that they looked better, regardless of what the actual information said. What that tells me is that Siri is useless for searches now since no matter what you will never know if the results are real or just what Apple wants you to think is real. Apple just did something that would be considered anti-competitive if done by any other company (Intel, MS, Google) and they should be punished for it.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]You don't seem to know how this works, Siri is looking up info from search engines and giving the results given based on that information. What Apple did was directly change the results so that they looked better, regardless of what the actual information said. What that tells me is that Siri is useless for searches now since no matter what you will never know if the results are real or just what Apple wants you to think is real. Apple just did something that would be considered anti-competitive if done by any other company (Intel, MS, Google) and they should be punished for it.[/citation]

But, but, Apple did it! They're Apple, so we should just sit back and enjoy it as they throw shit at us.

/s

Seriously now, whenever a company does something anti-competitive, there will be trolls who try to justify the anti-competitive action. Feeding the trolls more after more than one person has already corrected them seems a little excessive.

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]Old_Fogie_Late_Bloomer[/nom]if (currentPhoneID = "iPhone 5") System.voice.speak("The one you're holding."); else System.voice.speak("The new iPhone 5, of course.");[/citation]
double equals in the if statement, a big error I always fall into

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]f-14[/nom]siri swears and now lies, typical woman like behavior.cult of make, now they think they are jedi's :[/citation]

That's a little discriminatory, isn't it?

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]Samsung's high end stuff may be awesome... But their low/mid range stuff is just horrible.[/citation]

Thats like comparing The BMW 7 series to BMW 3 series.

Not everyone needs or wants the best specs. So obviously someone who expects the higher-end, will prefer and have a bias over the high-end and would cringe at the low-end offerings.

The low/mid range phones are budget phones, where specs are purposely lower for reduced costs/ savings ($0 subsidized price on contract) compared to the high-end.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]walter87[/nom]Thats like comparing The BMW 7 series to BMW 3 series. Not everyone needs or wants the best specs. So obviously someone who expects the higher-end, will prefer and have a bias over the high-end and would cringe at the low-end offerings.The low/mid range phones are budget phones, where specs are purposely lower for reduced costs/ savings ($0 subsidized price on contract) compared to the high-end.[/citation]It's not just about specs. Quality drops right off the table on many of their offerings, in an effort to rake in as much cash as possible. So far their plan is working, but as a Samsung phone user, I'm not going to be getting another one. The only thing that I really like are their displays.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]spookie[/nom]If I ask a question, I want the truth, not what Apple wants me to believe[/citation]
I want the truth...but Apple can't handle the truth!

kryzzay

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
HAHAHHHA that's the best. Siri should be patched to say any phone is better than an iPhone.

Anyone want to test out, "What is the best PC?" "What is the best music site?" "What is the best small laptop?"

Come on people post your results. :)

apophis_dd

Honorable
May 18, 2012
If you ask Siri if Apple are guilty of any crimes and what they are, could its replies be used as evidence or a confession in a court of law, in an attempt to charge Apple with something? While it may not really be treated like a witness per se, it should count for something, being property of Apple and used to give truthful answers to the user. Either way it could go bad for Apple; either it spills the beans or it lies and Apple is charged with anti-competition.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Trophy as number one? naa!
I've got one, and the speaker was defective after just 6 months. I've learned to live with it, but it's not the best phone ever. WP7 is great though and the phone is okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS