Apple Patent Filing is About Tracking, ID'ing Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

willgart

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
I'm pretty sure that Apple will gather this information without asking the user if he want or not!
which is exactly what Apple want to fight: they don't want application which can gather information from an iPhone and send this to a provider without authorization...
So does Apple become a virus or a malicious software??? ;)

jesman1985

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
hackers have bypassed much more sophisticated security than this.. i dont think this will stop the phone from getting broke into.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Wow, Jobs is really disturbed...

Now, got forbid you go for some jogging (that will alter your heart rate) or have a common laryngitis ( hoarse voice)... you're SOL.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
CUSTOMER: Your going on road trip? I'm going to stay home, so borrow my cellphone... oh, wait. I bought the newest iPhone, and it is locked to my voice patterns and doesn't work in a car because I told them I don't own one when I bought it. Sorry.

MEANWHILE, AT THE BOARD ROOM OF A MAJOR WIRELESS CELLPHONE PROVIDER:
I love this new iPhone - no longer can customers freely share the minutes they bought for their own sole usage to others by giving them their phone. Now everyone needs to buy their own phone - its like our own version of DRM controls or per-user software licensing! Lets just hope they don't unblock the locks for 911 calls, so that everyone on the go who needs to call 911 will have to have their own cell phone...

goldenthunder

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
I guess the Facebook App for the iPhone will have access to this data as well.

How the Facebook wall post (with you iPhone) of the future could look like:
"Just saw this HOPA *automatic location posted* *automatic picture posted* *face/body recognition tag to Facebook account*. Not going to be lonely tonight *heart frequency 130* *home location posted*"

Ransom22

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
The thing that disturbs me the most about this is the frequent use of the phrase "authorized user." Is Apple trying to restrict who I let use my phone that I purchased? Really? I don't mind the picture one so much because that is directly related to a number of failed password entries. However, all of the others are being done while the phone is in use.

Though I'm not a fan of Apple personally, I usually appreciate their presence in the market because they keep the other companies on their toes and it pushes the technology forward and helps lower prices over all. This is good for consumers. I also understand that Apple has the right to run their business however they want as long as they do it within the law. While these are probably not illegal, the fact that they want to restrict how I use my phone and who I let use my phone is just one more reason why I will never own and never recommend an iPhone to anyone.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
The excerpts don't seem that bad to me... provided that the features are used for the purpose of locking and tracking stolen phones. They start with the user having failed to enter the correct password too many times. If you don't turn on a password on your iPhone, this won't happen. If you lend out your iPhone and tell the person your password, this won't happen. So it doesn't seem to be about restricting use, but rather protecting against unauthorized use.

Look at the flip side: Someone steals your phone, places a bunch of calls to S. America and India, and then AT&T/Verizon/Spring/whoever stick you with a $10k bill. That's the alternative if your phone is stolen and you don't realize that it's missing.

All that said, I don't like Apple products anyway. And now that I see they are trying to prevent anyone else from protecting their phones with antitheft technology, I like Apple even less.

G

Corporate NAZISM! That's it in a nutshell. 4 April 1984: "It was a bright cold day in April , and the clocks were striking thirteen"

G

"The law, however, now dictates that jailbreaking and even the unlocking of phones is legal."

The legality of hacking phones has nothing to do with Apple's potential ability to disable hacked phones. One has to do with government enforcement of the law, the other with Apple enforcement of license terms.

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Interesting, when every one thought that Microsoft, or even Google was after getting control of this world. Who could ever imagine that Apple was the villain.

garyshome

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
No one has ever stolen my phone. Maybe cus it's not an apple. Or maybe cus i don't leave it lying around. Too many of my rights are gone already.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Like the iphone would ever be able to detect a heartbeat and the vibrations from my fixed and modded and half broken down 89 corolla.

And isnt peaking at those things a major violation of privacy and a major security threat to every apple user?

I wonder if an fanboys will leave apple when they hear that apple spies on them whenever theyre phone is on...

Status
Not open for further replies.