Apple Patent Reveals Face Detection for iOS

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]thrasher32[/nom]I don't want Apple or anyone else storing my digital facial profile.Also, how is "low threshold face recognition" secure? If I mock up a mannequin head with the same general features in the correct (or close-enough to pass) positions, or even hold up a photograph of my face, isn't that enough to get past the facial recognition system in a "low threshold" configuration?[/citation]
too late law enforcement/FBI/DOJ, the DOD, the DOHS and the TSA most likely already have your face on file and has been using it since the 90's.
my question is who did apple steal the software recognition from?

G

This patent is not just about facial recognition, it is specifically about Apple's new method which requires significantly less processing than past methods and therefore has more uses such as devices in sleep mode.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]iOS trying to play "me too" with this, just like they did with the notification bar, multi-tasking and so on. Next year they will "invent" widgets and after that power controls...[/citation]

Yeah, when a company patents a new and innovative method of delivering facial recognition without the processing overhead, and has a patent accepted (which cannot happen if the technology already exists in the public domain) - they are just playing 'me-too'.

Grow up, get a brain, and put your cloudy eyed anti-apple ridiculousness to one side and try actually reading what this patent is for.

You're the biggest anti-apple troll ever, and that would be fine if you used any semblance of logic.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]Irrelevant.Prior art has to actually be art. Not just a claimed 'in progress' art.[/citation]
Like the art from Apple and tons of other companies? File a patent and develop later, or let someone develop it an sue them to oblivion?

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]Was Google Goggles used to unlock smartphones?To confuse this patent with facial recognition in general, as per 'Vladislaus', is to misunderstand what that patent is actually for.[/citation]
Is it any different than using facial recognition to unlock a computer? This is the problem with patents nowadays. The guys at the patent office don't have a minimum clue what's being approved, and tons of companies are taking advantage of it to stifle competition and muffle innovation. Also only the actual technology should be patented not the action. It's irrelevant if it's to unlock a phone a computer or whatever. Only the actual process of facial recognition should be patentable.

The patent law needs an urgent revision or the human race is better off without it.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]Like the art from Apple and tons of other companies? File a patent and develop later, or let someone develop it an sue them to oblivion?[/citation]

Sorry, where in this comment did you disprove that prior art has to be art?

To recap - you brought up the question of when Android STARTED developing Facial recognition. This is wrong for 2 reasons:

1 - Prior art is only prior art if it is publicly available. It wasn't, until Android released it.
2 - What is being patented here is a new and innovative method of facial recognition which requires less CPU power, not facial recognition itself. Did you even follow the link to the patent and read it?

Which is why your failure to understand has led you to blame the whole patent system (in your next comment, which is already covered by the above 2 points)....

The world would be a lot better if people actually understood what they were arguing against!

G

xbox kinect does this too. Way to patent existing tech... Patents are the devil.

subaru41

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]Yeah, when a company patents a new and innovative method of delivering facial recognition without the processing overhead, and has a patent accepted (which cannot happen if the technology already exists in the public domain) - they are just playing 'me-too'.Grow up, get a brain, and put your cloudy eyed anti-apple ridiculousness to one side and try actually reading what this patent is for.You're the biggest anti-apple troll ever, and that would be fine if you used any semblance of logic.[/citation]

Troll +6

Why don't you stop your cloudy eyed anti-android ridiculous trolling. You have 6 trolling comments alone in this thread.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]subaru41[/nom]Troll +6Why don't you stop your cloudy eyed anti-android ridiculous trolling. You have 6 trolling comments alone in this thread.[/citation]

And you presented .... how many? arguments against any of my FACTUAL statements?

Zero.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Around 2008~9, Lenovo iPad notebooks with Vista included facial log-on...

About the only thing that seems different with iOS is that its "automatic"....?

Also, such concepts have been in Scifi movies and TV for years.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Around 2008~9, Lenovo iPad notebooks with Vista included facial log-on...About the only thing that seems different with iOS is that its "automatic"....?Also, such concepts have been in Scifi movies and TV for years.[/citation]

The patent isn't for 'Facial log-on'.

So your comment seems like it's on the wrong article?

Seriously, guys, some basic brains please? This is NOT A PATENT FOR FACIAL RECOGNITION IN GENERAL.

Read that sentence a few times please and save the world from your uninformed drivel.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]lilsanta[/nom]Isn't Samsung doing the same thing?[/citation]

To be honest something like this has already been done years before, in 2008-2009 in Japanese markets. So neither Samsung nor Apple are the innovators of this.

Also, I like that stick figure.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]f-14[/nom]too late law enforcement/FBI/DOJ, the DOD, the DOHS and the TSA most likely already have your face on file and has been using it since the 90's.my question is who did apple steal the software recognition from?[/citation]

Don't forget that facebook and google + have and use this also. Why do you think they delete accounts that do not show a persons face?

Status
Not open for further replies.