Apple Patents Sponge Dock, Tamper-proof Labels

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_tuel

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
how about a switch that when the case is opened stores a bit to signal that the case is breached, and has some sort of way to prevent that bit from being changed again. This way they could check by simply plugging in the ipod via cable and the ipod can report the state of the security chip. To prevent mix ups, apple would have to log the serial numbers of ipods fixed by official repair centers.

mr_tuel

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
wish I had an edit button!

As a refinement to my previously mentioned idea,I propose that this chip can store the date(s) of case breaches in a permanent fashion. If the chip reports dates that are not logged, then it is likely that the case was opened outside of apple's control. this is prone to mistake and failure, but not to the extent that a sticker would be!

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
The Cupertino-based company described these labels as U-shaped or zigzagged pieces of paper, plastic, or a metallic foil that tears or otherwise becomes damaged if the case of the device is opened.

Hmmmmm.......that sounds rather familiar. Isn't there something similar but for other products?

m3kt3k

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Honestly A STICKER.. APples has to be losing it somewhere. Vermonts Inspection stickers have done that for something like 30 years. The new ones even leave a lovly void in the torn sticker if you try and razorblade them off.
I would also like to point out that they could always have put in a switch or sensor that would detect the item was tampered with thus bricking the device. That way you cant send it back since you know they know you mucked with it and adding that most people would just buy another ICRAP thing could add more to the bottom line.

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
[citation][nom]m3kt3k[/nom]HAHA Rambo Watching that now... Poor Odo sick with that virus.[/citation]
that is so funny!!! thats the exact episode i got done watching... weird :p

slipdisc

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
Rambo? Whats that got to do with this story? Oh wait, you are 9 and play with legos, nevermind. Relevant.

I think the new dock is interesting. As far as the tamper sticker, another good idea. Apple is not trying to give money away. Some people think it is their right of passage to poke and prod on the devices they own and yet still be covered under warranty. In fact, it is your right as a consumer. Just don't expect Apple to have your back if you screw it up. But with this, problem solved. But I think the simplest solution for those that have an issue with it is to just not buy the product in the first place.

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
[citation][nom]slipdisc[/nom]Rambo? Whats that got to do with this story? Oh wait, you are 9 and play with legos, nevermind. Relevant. I think the new dock is interesting. As far as the tamper sticker, another good idea. Apple is not trying to give money away. Some people think it is their right of passage to poke and prod on the devices they own and yet still be covered under warranty. In fact, it is your right as a consumer. Just don't expect Apple to have your back if you screw it up. But with this, problem solved. But I think the simplest solution for those that have an issue with it is to just not buy the product in the first place.[/citation]
excuse me for expressing my thoughts Stalin, I have just the right to post as you do. So back off the insults and act like an adult

slipdisc

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
My comment wasn't aimed toward you Rambo117. It was toward the other childish remarks. But being a kid isn't an insult. Just a sign of immaturity.

slipdisc

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
[citation][nom]ctx1769a[/nom]i,m 42 and play with lego[/citation]
I know. And you are a perfect example. Thank you.

G

Funny, the Sponge Docks is a place right by my house in Tarpon Springs and was searching for that when I found this blog post!

Status
Not open for further replies.