Apple Pay: Can You Trust It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fear Propaganda

Estimable
Sep 9, 2014
That's what they get for showing that disturbing "Barefootin" commercial over and over again. Cramming 5 different races into an unrealistic social scenario will result in your system getting hacked every time.

hitman40

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
It has been confirmed that the young celebrities who lost their photos because Apple was "hacked" was form simple password guessing...

Essentially, the article's main point is that if you get your phone stolen, steps can be made by thieves to extract information somehow. However, Apple Pay is by far the most safest method attempted with their tokenization during payments. Here's to pushing the market forward.:D

Sebc

Estimable
Sep 21, 2014
"But in order for Find My iPhone to work, a lost or stolen phone has to be able to receive cellular or Wi-Fi signals. It can't do so if a thief turns off the iPhone immediately, or drops it into a radio-proof Faraday bag that can be easily bought at a computer-parts store." To combat this, just require the device to have an active internet connection. Maybe it already has this requirement. We'll find out in October.

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Why would put NFC on a tablet for purchases in a store? Who needs that, I never see anyone bringing their tablet into a store, but everyone brings there phone with them.

Sebc

Estimable
Sep 21, 2014

It doesn't need NFC for Apple Pay to be useful. You can buy stuff online with Apple Pay which will be very convenient for many (older) iPad users. If they ever were to add NFC it would probably be used for HomeKit (which they wouldn't even need since they already have Bluetooth LE)

SirKnobsworth

Estimable
Mar 31, 2014
Yes, you can fool touch id with a high resolution replica of the original fingerprint. Why is this surprising or particularly scary?

InvalidError

Distinguished

I see two fundamental issues with using biometrics as a primary identity check:
1- once compromised, they cannot be relatively conveniently changed
2- in the case of fingerprints, the original fingerprints have a high probability of being somewhere on the device itself, such as the TouchID sensor. That makes it intrinsically extremely weak.

arctic23

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
I will have to see the picture for my self to post my opinion. From that picture it looks a little like 1980's design. How about thinner frame?

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
So much misinformation.

Apple Pay is the safest payment system out there. It's superior to Google Wallet and uses the latest tokenization technology. Apple stores no information about you (including credit card data) on any of their servers. When you request a recent history of transactions your phone accesses your bank to download this information because Apple doesn't store it. Apple Pay wasn't an invention of Apple - it was created by the banks/credit card companies. Apple Pay is just the first company to integrate this system into a device.

Stealing your watch to make purchases? Please, did the writer even do some simple fact checking? When the watch is removed from your wrist it immediately gets de-authorized and can no longer make payments.

And talking about Touch ID being hacked? Hardly. I challenge anyone here to find a video of a Touch ID hack that shows in order: a person using their iPhone and a specific finger to unlock it, another person successfully lifting a print of the iPhone, making the mold and then unlocking the iPhone within the limited number of attempts before it locks.

I've seen countless Touch ID hack videos and they all have some flaw. There's the one idiot who had a print on the iPhone screen masked off, and the print was flawless. The rest of the screen was clean and smudge free EXCEPT for the print. And people actually fall for this? There's a reason nobody produces an UNEDITED video of a Touch ID hack - it's because they tried several times, and only bother to show the time it worked instead of the numerous times it didn't work.

lordjakian

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
DROP OUT JEEP

"....Either they have a huge collection of exploits that work against Apple products, meaning that they are hoarding information about critical systems that American companies produce and sabotaging them, or Apple sabotaged it themselves."

Nah, I still don't trust it. It is hard to imagine trust with so many huge American companies brought low before the NSA and the kind of outrageous civil fines that can be brought to bear upon them without public knowledge. Disgusting.

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
Let's see - have had cell phones since 1994 - never lost or had one stolen. Check.

Have had bank accounts for much longer including credit cards. Have had them lost or stolen. Check.

Have kept on top of my finances. Check.

Make sure I don't open every email that says l'm a winner or special (my mom tells me that so I don't feel the need). Check.

Looking forward to an easy, credit card free way of making purchases. Check.

To each his own. I for one don't sit on my 6+ so it never will bend (or will I try to intentionally bend it), I will try Apple Pay, I will continue to carry my Coin (and look forward to Plastc). There will always be issues when dealing with money since people always want what they don't have. Take care of your things, monitor your life, and have fun. To each his own.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Many people won't trust it simply because it is Apple.

BUT it does seem like Apple Pay is MUCH more secure than the traditional magnetic strips that is still widely used in the US. But exactly how secure remains to be seen. I've heard from American Express execs that said Apple is going about security in the right way with Apple Pay—but should we believe the Amex execs? Hard to say.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Hmmm, Google Wallet has been able to do with Apple Pay does for several years, purchases with NFC and your phone also integrated into sites.

As to payments without sharing ones credit card number with the merchant, paypal has been doing that for 10+ years. Paypal offers the same level of security as Apple Pay.

Always love the media spin.

Status
Not open for further replies.