Apple Removes YouTube App From iOS 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

schnitter

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Good. I've used SBSettings on my Jailbroken iPhone 4S to hide YouTube app and put ProTube in it's place (lets you download the video or convert them to MP3 apart from streaming). No use for YouTube App when ProTube exists.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
I never understood the use of the youtube app. Why do you need an application for something that your web browser can do better?

That would be like having a facebook app with half the functionality of the real web site.

oh yeah...... never mind.

G

whew i thought for a sec that apple was dropping utube, i love my ipod only because of utube and draw something oh and some gambling apps. i see the price is right app only wants u to play every four hours oh brother that is so stupid. im not buy coins if i cant even cash them in if i win lots

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]I never understood the use of the youtube app. Why do you need an application for something that your web browser can do better?That would be like having a facebook app with half the functionality of the real web site. oh yeah...... never mind.[/citation]

The youtube app is much better for touch controls than the actual website. MUCH better.

The current iOS youtube app sucks though. Way too many features missing. Hope google does a better job at it.... but why would they make a great app for iOS if they want to sell Android devices?

eternalkp

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
i hope there will be Close Caption on the new iOS6 youtube app
I am always envious of my family samsung galaxy s3 being able to watch korean movies on youtube with subtiles. i hate you apple

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]The youtube app is much better for touch controls than the actual website. MUCH better.The current iOS youtube app sucks though. Way too many features missing. Hope google does a better job at it.... but why would they make a great app for iOS if they want to sell Android devices?[/citation]

Because at the end of the day it is about having the most visibility.
This is no different when GM and Ford collaborate on car technology that will benefit both companies.

teamcarlisle

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
To dalethepcman. This is iOS, not OS. iOS is for mobile devices. Which dont always work well with the full web interface.

I thought the youtube app was what iOS was using to work around their "We Hate Flash" policy of apple. I was under the impression that if you viewed a youtube link in the web browser the video actually played with an embedded version of the youtube app. I could be wrong, but I thought that youtube still uses flash and hadnt moved to html5 yet. So removing the youtube app will most likely remove the ability to watch youtube in general on iOS ( I have an android tablet, and an Ipad. I love the ipad, but use the adroid tablet more often simply because of the support for flash. I cant stream anything on my ipad because of apples pompous stance on flash content)

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
I really wish Apple would learn from google.... simply how to play nice with others. Google could say NO app for you. Google could decide they dont want a Gmail app on apples devices etc etc.

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]aragis[/nom]Wow, Tomshardware is getting slower by the day... I've read this almost a week ago[/citation]
The reason Tomshardware takes so long to report is because they take their time to properly proofread everything before posting....
.... < /sarcasm >
Google and YouTube aren't saying much easier.

teamcarlisle

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
To be honest, even though I have an Ipad, I really wish google would say no to apple. Someone needs to bully them back for a change. I love that apple bundles google apps, then turns around and spits in googles face with all their lawsuits and such (sarcasm here) My ipad is the first and last apple product I will ever buy. I love the product, but i cant stand the company and in the future will vote with my wallet. I thought their douchbaggery would have stopped or slowed after Jobs died but I was wrong, he left his self serving legacy)

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]HotRoderx[/nom]I really wish Apple would learn from google.... simply how to play nice with others. Google could say NO app for you. Google could decide they dont want a Gmail app on apples devices etc etc.[/citation]
Just like Samsung continues to sell parts to Apple despite the lawsuits (to make money), Google needs youtube to be accessible on Apple products in order to protect it's advertising revenue. It would have been different if Apple devices' market shares were really low. Then withholding functionality from Apple Devices would serve to force them completely out of the market. Maybe someday soon enough, that can hopefully happen. Not because Apple products suck, but because they try so hard to force other products to suck using patents and lawsuits!

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Sensationalist headline should just read "Licensing deal will be renewed for YouTube app between Google and Apple for iOS"

Also, good to see you're keeping up with your typo-s and lack of proofreading Toms...

Kroneage

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
Apple had a 5 year Licensed contract on YouTube, Maps and Google Search. That license ended June 29th 2012. It isn't so much that Apple didn't want to integrate these services within iOS as it was Google asking for more money on the license renewal than Apple wanted to pay. This is just business and Apple being a bit of a spoiled brat, decided to go it on their own!

Google has just gotten so tired of paying more in cost, than what they get in return from Apple and decided to push Apple into the future of it's own HTML5 Web, they themselves were crying about in killing FLASH. But..... it's now going to cost them a whole lot more to develop their own services to replace these. Because they simply picked the wrong horse in this race. When they got involved with MPEG LA.

Why? ....Google has successfully turned the tables on that Proprietary Group's attempts to make H.264 ubiquitous enough, to become the default video codec for online content. A major coo has just flown it's flag of victory over the MPEG LA group. After the Apple Microsoft led group pulled a real boner. After they realized all they had were Patent pea shooters to attack Google's VP8 WebM with. MPEG LA decided to pit one side against the other. That all ended up having them blow chunks on themselves. When they surreptitiously attempted to create a VP8 Patent Group w/o Google being a part of it. haha.... FAT CHANCE and the Goog got the DoJ to investigate who this VP8 Patent Group was, and discovered it was.... yeah the MPEG LA CEO! haha.....

Now the gig is up when manufacturers realized Apple Microsoft's Shark had no teeth. Because all of a sudden we have all of the manufacturers embedding VP8 hardware decoders/encoders for free w/o a thing Apple and Microsoft can do about it. Leaving H.264 crying at the back of the bus. Recently demonstrated by Samsung ARM putting only hardware VP8 decoders instead of hardware H.264 decoders/ encoders in their latest Exynos 5250 Dual Super Power Chips, that are set to kick literally all it's competitors to the curb, they don't offer the features Exynos does!

Which means that all the Developers Developers Developers must face the reality that video online will have to face reality. Google now owns 70%+ of online video in YouTube. It's also got all the hardware makers convinced (except Intel) that WebM will be the default video codec in HTML5 Standard. That's why their own Chrome Browser.... only reads HTML5 with WebM content. Making us... consumers who now own Open Source WebM the real winners. Where the most likely codec to be the default video codec in the HTML5 Standard..... is the truly FREE and OPEN ONE!

Face it folks, H.264 is a DEAD MAN WALKING..... and LOOKING to BE A ZOMBIE BEFORE IT'S TIME!!!! ;-D ....and now we just have to wait for the inevitable support of WebM by both Microsoft and Apple! :DDD

Status
Not open for further replies.