Apple Retail Stores to Allow Self-checkout via iOS App

Status
Not open for further replies.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
[citation][nom]zoemayne[/nom]not good news for the apple store clerks. gratefully the sheep aren't that bright.[/citation]

Apple stores are WAY overstaffed to the point where I don't even want to go in one for anything. As far as I'm concerned, they are little more than toy stores. That said, it is impressive what Apple has accomplished with its retail stores, and it will be interesting to see how this works out.

Accuse it of stealing technology and then calling it "magical" all you want, but this actually is true innovation.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]Apple stores are WAY overstaffed to the point where I don't even want to go in one for anything. As far as I'm concerned, they are little more than toy stores. That said, it is impressive what Apple has accomplished with its retail stores, and it will be interesting to see how this works out.Accuse it of stealing technology and then calling it "magical" all you want, but this actually is true innovation.[/citation]

from what i am reading its like a website with a real support option, and instore pickups of crap you buy online, just in an app now...

not saying its inovative, but it is progression.

in before patent.

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
So will this make for a great place for crooks to set up near and try and capture all the data info flying around? How secure is their system? It can`t compete with NFC, but it will be very popular with the consumer. It`s just that the consumer should be asking about security in such a publicly accessible place. With potentially dozens or hundreds of transactions going on per hour, it seems like it`s ripe for the picking.

On the other hand, I`m not an expert, so I don`t know if there is a vulnerability. That`s why I would like to know.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]Apple stores are WAY overstaffed to the point where I don't even want to go in one for anything. As far as I'm concerned, they are little more than toy stores. That said, it is impressive what Apple has accomplished with its retail stores, and it will be interesting to see how this works out.Accuse it of stealing technology and then calling it "magical" all you want, but this actually is true innovation.[/citation]
Way overstaffed, but way under in quality people. My church buys mac products (just to annoy me I think), and during our last upgrade we forgot to purchase a mini DP->VGA adapter for our monitor (the HDMI wen to the projector). It took me 15min to get someone's attention, 30 minutes to find someone who knew what a VGA adapter was, another 20min for the lady to find it in the back, and another 10min of her trying to sell me a cinema display. Literally over an hour to get something simple when I knew what I wanted. God help the poor customers who walk in and are not sure what they want to buy! On top of that the little $2 hunk of plastic cost $30 +tax because they were not competent enough to look up our church's non-profit status, and we had bought from their location before and they still could not find it!!!!!
I understand it is hard to find good people, but you cannot make up for it by hiring mass amounts of trendy morons.

thebigt42

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
Why does any one go into a brick and mortar store for electrons?? Buy on-line it is WAY cheaper even if you have to pay shipping.

sinfulpotato

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
I walked by a Apple store at the mall.. From the outside looking in at how everyone was acting crowding around talking, my first instinct was to spot the bowl of fruit punch.

Status
Not open for further replies.