Apple Snags Multi-touch Patent, Palm Shivers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Wow, Apple is now acting just like Microsoft and IBM. Good for them. I don't know if their multitouch patent will hold up in court for long though, considering that Jeff Han has been building such systems for almost 10 years now. I'm curious to see how this applies to military technology too since they're avid users of it. Let's not forget CNN too!

davidgbailey

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
Something needs to be said for the innovation we've seen over the last 100 years due to the protection of intellectual property rights in the U.S. Once again, it's not simply Apple acting like assholes, although that's how you perceive it, it's called business. Business is about making a profit. These companies dump millions of dollars into research and push technology ahead with the understanding that if they get a patent they'll be rewarded for it. Whatever company you like (Waste Management Inc.) they've done it. Did you grow up in Communist Russia or China? Did your parents force you to eat large amounts of apple sauce when you were a kid?

saturn77

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Wow, maybe I won't buy an Apple Iphone. I was really considering getting one. I think I could not live with myself if I purchased anything from such a snobbish POS company such as Apple. I guess I'll pass.

G

Its not that Apple shouldn't be able to patent ideas and products that they make. Its that they have taken from others ideas(Jeff Han's, Microsoft Surface, HP touch devices) and patented the idea as if it took they research and development to make the idea. The idea and technology has been out there for a long time, therefore should not be allowed to be patented at this point since it is in public realm now

falconqc

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
I seriously hope that all these Apple fanboys wake up and finally smell the leaky septic tank that is Apple. Apple is a company like any other who is here to make money. The only difference is that Apple says "But we're cool, look at how relaxed and hip we are!", and that the fanboys actually believe them!

I'm just wondering here, but who owns the patent for touchscreen technology and why are they not suing the cargo pants off Apple just because?

Status
Not open for further replies.