Apple Stops Barring Google and Adobe Technology

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
So what happened to the email from Steve B. Jobs about how multiple dev platforms only slow down devices and about adobe's flash bad security and it's slow speed? did Adobe really make so much progress in such a short time?

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]Right...let's substantiate that claim of Apple "losing ground" by taking a closer look at the only relevant data in this argument.The Samsung Captivate, one of the (supposed) premier Android phones out right now, was being given away for FREE with a two-year contract on AT&T.Why on earth would that be?Whatever the case is, Apple isn't forced to give its stuff away for free just to get people to want it...and people still didn't want it over the iPhone 4, because Samsung only "sold" (LOL) 1 million of these globally in the same time Apple sold 3 million iPhone 4s.So those are the irrefutable facts. Samsung had to literally give the Galaxy phones away and still barely hit 1/3 the SALES numbers of the iPhone 4, which actually made money.Really, really embarrassing. But that's Android for you![/citation]
So the captive doesn't cost 199.99 with a two year contract?

G

So the Captivate... just one of many many hot models running the android platform only sold a third of what iPhone 4 sold? Looks like apple is the one losing market share to me.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
The ignorance of the masses never ceases to amaze me.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-20015799-94.html

For anyone that can't read a chart, or be bothered with clicking links, that's in total devices, not sales. Android currently powers 16.3% of all smartphones, iOS powers 14.7% Last year you could have taken the 16 out from in front of Androids %.

The Tsunami of Google devices open to all manufacturers, developers, and carriers will wipe the floor with the restricted community Apple has sold themselves into. They are making moves in the right direction, but they are forced to be reactive because they didn't see the wave until its hit them. This is a case of too little too late for Apple, they no longer have the edge to be proactive, unfortunately the realized this after they lost it.

face-plants

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Thank God. It's about time they woke the hell up. I have felt more and more alienated by Apple the last few years.

Now if they would just focus the resources they waste on trying to stop jailbreakers and unlockers and maybe design some decent antenna technology and make their products BETTER not just pretty and hard to hack they might get some of their old faithful users back.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Some of us wish we were dumb enough to want crapple products. I also wish I could be a religious fanatic. Just imagine the bliss of believing a lie that tells you everything is ok.

swamprat

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
I can sort of see getreal's point - whether or not competitors allow access to flash is maybe relevant, but additional details and bits and pieces on whether iphones are outselling or being outsold is probably rather vaguely linked. Given there is still (as far as I know) a reasonable level of demand for iphones compared to the supply, they could probably shift more by 1. making more and 2. dropping prices (if needed). Whether or not sales are down to people wanting flash, or apps ported from flash, seems rather speculative.
If they could reference results of a properly representative survey to say that x% of the population wouldn't buy an iphone because of flash, there'd be more point in saying so, otherwise it is just a added on line that allows fans of one side or the other to troll.

G

I hope Google destroys Apple's iPhone market. I honestly don't see what is so appealing about the iPhone now with the Android phones out. So many of my co-workers ran out and got iPhones as soon as they were available. I hear nothing but complaints from them. They paid a load of money for a phone that (1) constantly drops due to the crappy AT&T network, (2) places unnecessary restrictions on how it can be used and what applications run on it and (3) offers virtually nothing beyond what other smartphones offer. I'm so glad I waited for the Incredible. Now, after seeing my phone and the great service I have on my network, all of them are seriously considering dropping the iPhone and going with an Android phone. Down with Apple !

G

Allowing cross-compilers is great and all, but those that say it will lead to better apps are just plain wrong. The code that cross-compilers spit out is horrendous. A good app will be properly ported by hand, regardless of the platform.

c210pilot

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
for me anyways, i am quite happy that my iphone will not play flash embedded objects. yes, i miss hulu like everyone, but the upside of not having bandwith or cpu power sucked up by an advertisement is fine by me.

Status
Not open for further replies.