Apple Store in Georgia Turns Away Farsi-speaking Customer

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]Sonny73N[/nom]I've asked myself for years why American hate Iranian so much? After years of reading, thanks to google and the Internet, I've come to conclusion that American need to have enemies so they won't be disintegrated. Beside, the white is pretty racist.[/citation]
And apparently so are you based on that comment.

Open your eyes.....people from every race are racist. Not just "white" people.

G

Apple sells their phones to Iranian Americans and the terrorists win!
9-11! End of story!
Now I've got to go sacrifice a goat to Toby Keith.....

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]Sonny73N[/nom]I've asked myself for years why American hate Iranian so much? After years of reading, thanks to google and the Internet, I've come to conclusion that American need to have enemies so they won't be disintegrated. Beside, the white is pretty racist.[/citation]

Looks to me like you are pretty racist yourself.

You know, this kind of thing actually worked for quite awhile. American whites by and large felt pretty bad about their ancestors having enslaved blacks, and when someone would accuse white people of being racist, they would just think of that and feel guilty. Well, guess what, most of us woke up and can smell the stink on this lie now, so it doesn't work with the majority of us. Whites aren't any more racist than any other grouping of people. There is not a place on the planet that hasn't had in some part of it's history slavery, genocide, and oppression performed by the people in power.

In fact, the U.S. is the country that has lead world-wide thinking in changing the way we act toward and deal with each other. American whites are the ones that have held up the standard that no race or culture is better than any other, and no race should be treated differently. We are the ones that put in our Declaration of Independence the idea that "All Men Are Created Equal", and in our short history we have come to define "Men" as every human being regardless of color or sex in no uncertain terms, and lead world thinking in that concept. It IS the leading belief by the majority of Americans, the majority of WHITE Americans that put those policies and interpretations and laws into place.

There are racists of every color in every part of the world; holding onto some notion that whites or Americans have any worse of a problem is holding on to your own racism, and keeping the problem in place. Wake up!

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
[citation][nom]Antimatter79[/nom]That's exactly right. People are so ignorant and willfully stupid. Anybody who is brown-skinned and speaks Spanish is "Mexican" in GA. If you're from the far east, you're "Chinese". Middle East earns you "Indian" or "A-Rab". Some morons here can't even tell the difference between someone who is East Asian or Hispanic, and they just call them Mexican. The idiocy is astounding. Don't even get me started on the ones who love to say "if you don't like it, go back to your own country..." Of course this is b/c so many non-ethnic people living in GA obviously were here first, even before Native Americans.[/citation]

As if you could make difference between different stocks of Europeans. C'mon!

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
[citation][nom]Cy-Kill[/nom]The worst thing about this is, that she is an American citizen, and they are refusing to sell to her because she's an Iranian-American.[/citation]

Wow! Does it really matter? What is stupid is stupid: only money matters! Who needs a sales agent who refuses to sell! Unbelievable... I could think that refusing to sell a gun to a suspicious guy would be OK... but an iStuff... Hahahha!

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]@OkibrianAt address doesn't exactly prove where the device will actually end up. It's fairly easy to buy a product online, receive it and ship it to another country. Either of the people in the article could easily purchase the desired device online, have it shipped to a US address, then turn around and ship the device to Iran....[/citation]
I said people can find ways to get around things, but the address would be the first defense. Get it? In other words, nothing is fool proof. It is just a layer. I know very well you can ship to another country first. No kidding!

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
[citation][nom]Marcus52[/nom]Looks to me like you are pretty racist yourself.You know, this kind of thing actually worked for quite awhile. American whites by and large felt pretty bad about their ancestors having enslaved blacks, and when someone would accuse white people of being racist, they would just think of that and feel guilty. Well, guess what, most of us woke up and can smell the stink on this lie now, so it doesn't work with the majority of us. Whites aren't any more racist than any other grouping of people. There is not a place on the planet that hasn't had in some part of it's history slavery, genocide, and oppression performed by the people in power.In fact, the U.S. is the country that has lead world-wide thinking in changing the way we act toward and deal with each other. American whites are the ones that have held up the standard that no race or culture is better than any other, and no race should be treated differently. We are the ones that put in our Declaration of Independence the idea that "All Men Are Created Equal", and in our short history we have come to define "Men" as every human being regardless of color or sex in no uncertain terms, and lead world thinking in that concept. It IS the leading belief by the majority of Americans, the majority of WHITE Americans that put those policies and interpretations and laws into place.There are racists of every color in every part of the world; holding onto some notion that whites or Americans have any worse of a problem is holding on to your own racism, and keeping the problem in place. Wake up![/citation]

Dude, actually in many respects and in many places non-whites are much, much more racist. They just don't make movies and news about racism all the time but are very good to complain about racism if they go into another country.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
The article does not give much information other than they were speaking Farsee, and were denied a sale. Who knows maybe the uncle can't speak english very well (he may be more comfortable speaking his native language). Farsee is spoken in many places that CrApple CAN ship to (Afghanistan, Iraq, ect... much like Pashtu). So to me it smacks of Racism/Racial Profiling, and this "Sales Rep" would be not so kindly shown the door for this reason. Racisim has no morally acceptable place in society or buisness. Regardless of where she (or her parents) is/are from, she is now first and foremost an American (a society once revered as "The Great Melting Pot").

G

I think it's the domain of customs officials to control the actual exporting. No matter which origin I am, if I am buying within the US, I'm still eligible.

weatherdude

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I thought it was the country of Georgia rather than the US state this article was referring to until I read about this on BBC. This article here could use some clarification.

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
The inherent problem with using the federal embargo as a scape goat would be, if they were buying the product for themselves. If both in both cases said individuals were American citizens. Under those circumstances, if they refused to sell them an item that would of been for personal use based on the fact that they were of Iranian origin, then that's discrimination. In both cases it seemed apparent that the people they had been talking to in Farsi were with them in the store.

englandr753

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
[citation][nom]10tacle[/nom]Actually these stores are in and around Atlanta, which is a huge melting pot city of the entire southeast, let alone Georgia.More people are NOT from Georgia originally and live in the greater metro Atlanta area. It's population explosion over the last two decades has been from northeaster, midwestern, and western transplants. These days, it's about as redneck and backwards and southern as San Francisco. I know. I live in it Atlanta. Learn a little about other areas in America instead of just mindlessly bashing an area and making ignorant stereotypical hate comments of which you clearly have no clue about.[/citation]

Exactly! I've watched a transition from the last 20 years go from mostly a local population to mostly immigrants in almost any city within 100 miles of Atlanta.

My wife taught in a local elementary school where it was 85% locals 15% immigrants to completely reverse and now the kids are totally out of control in class and most of the parents could care less. Now the school is going title 1 to get government funding for free lunch and other low income funds for the new population that has moved in.

Sure, there's racial profiling that is going on today and will unfortunately go on forever. BUT, what most everyone overlooks is that profiling of any type goes on within every community regardless of race. If we were all blue we would look down our nose at someone because of how someone dresses, what they drive or how they allow their kids to behave. I think most of the so called racial profiling that goes on these days is stemming from people not accepting other peoples cultures. Anytime someone comes around you or your family in an unacceptable fashion will get a raised eyebrow and naturally that's turned into racial profiling.

That has been a term so over used that is has totally lost its true meaning.

waethorn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]IH8U[/nom]she is now first and foremost an American (a society once revered as "The Great Melting Pot").[/citation]

I grew up in Canada, and we were taught in school that the idea of a "melting pot" society is a bad idea because it has negative connotations, in that unique ethnicities are not allowed to thrive, but are instead diluted.

Here's a video that describes the differences: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ymkAJnNh0U

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Even with stories such as this, the same people who are "turned away" are still going to willfully turn their bucks over to this company. They have already been mindlessly assimilated.

Apple marketing is brilliant. If you want to work in marketing, there is no better place to learn. These people convince droves of people the reason it's good to spend more money on less capable products. Not only do they convince people of this, they create a perceived need for the products. That little apple symbol on the back of each of these products has become a status symbol of sorts. People will readily buy an iPhone even if they can't pay their rent. It's amazing.

The marketing team at apple is ingenious.

aracheb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]Actually its not. They asked her what she was going to do with it and she said ship it to Iran. It would actually have been illegal to sell it to her, since the USA has a trade embargo with Iran. It also violated company policy.If she had said, use it....... then it would have been ok.[/citation]
Why would it had been illegal please explain it to me, because it sound like a bunch of bullshit.
Whatever the owner of the product do with his item is his own responsability no the country after it was on AMERICAN GROUND TO A FULLY AMERICAN CITIZEN. "Personal agenda are not part of government regulation" You know you can go to IRAN with the ipad on hand and give it to the person yourself. "Where is the difference here?". If somebody had the right to stop her from sending this to her friend is the MAIL OFFICE, not the store. This was racist and descrimination. She was on all her rights to purchase it and do whatever she felt with it, this store clerk is a completely stupid individual and a racist

Unolocogringo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Also the clerk could recieve 1 year in jail along with the $250,00.00 fine.
Sounds like a smart clerk. Not a racist one as the article tries to imply.
So all of you dissing the clerk as stupid and racist, looks like you are the stupid ones after all.
Get the facts next time before you spout off with the DUMB a55 Georgia people comments.

G

Actually this article doesn't tell the full story. From mashable:

"After Apple Store employees overheard Sabet and her friend speaking to one another in Farsi, they asked them what language they were speaking, where they were from and where the devices were headed. When Sabet said the devices were a gift for a friend in Iran, the Apple Store denied the sale."

Status
Not open for further replies.