Apple Sues Amazon for Use of 'App Store'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]welshmousepk[/nom]I'm gonna trademark the letter A. then they will all owe ME money!Seriously, how the hell can a company own a trademark on 'App Store'?[/citation]

That was Microsoft's argument, and a valid one at that.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
this is why , i'll never own an apple product ,
this is why i'll punch a sales man in the face when they try to sell me something of apples
this is why i hate steve jobs , and his legion of possesed followers
this is why products froma pple cost so much
this is why products from many people cost so much
this is why i would punch my relatives if they ever buy an apple product

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Griffolion[/nom]That was Microsoft's argument, and a valid one at that.[/citation]

Indeed! Its silly how far the patent system have been abused and milked with generic patents. It makes it close to impossible to create anything new without stepping on at least a half dozen "generic" patents.

I thought the basic idea behind the patent system was to encourage development by allowing the creators of new inventions to get their patents and not be blocked by a zillion "generic" patents making it impossible to create anything truly new unless you have a huge corporations resources at your disposal! Silly world!

AMD_pitbull

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Just to let you all know, I just patented the terms "spammer," "paypall payments" & "stupid apple" and will be seeking punitive damages

regards
Future head of Apple.

In all seriousness, though, this is absolutely absurd. This patent thing is getting out of control, and, the saddest part? The courts are allowing it. Just goes to show how messed up the legal system is as a whole.

swamprat

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]Indeed! Its silly how far the patent system have been abused and milked with generic patents. It makes it close to impossible to create anything new without stepping on at least a half dozen "generic" patents.I thought the basic idea behind the patent system was to encourage development by allowing the creators of new inventions to get their patents and not be blocked by a zillion "generic" patents making it impossible to create anything truly new unless you have a huge corporations resources at your disposal! Silly world![/citation]
Not that trade marks or names are the same as patents.

I guess one test would be that when someone speaks of an App Store, does the world think only of Apple's App Store, or just of App Stores generally? I would guess the latter given the wide use of the term 'App' (I remember it back on the Acorn Archimedes - so Apple can't claim they invented the idea of abbreviating Application).

Microsoft's challenge seemed and still seems reasonable. I wouldn't have expected "Amazon Appstore" to cause any degree of confusion with "Apple App Store" but then I might be giving the general public too much credit...

Status
Not open for further replies.