Apple Suggests Dev Workaround for App Purchase Hack

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeTJL

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Android users can side load apks, and recently one company made one of their games free to play citing that people were pirating the game.

Companies should get their DRM straight and unobtrusive, or not use it at all and just make all games free to play.

G

just because you're on the other side of a fence doesn't mean you aren't sheep

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I lost faith in apple a long time ago, this just enforces my belief that its usually a shiny case with crap inside. Heck if they can't be bothered to patch this efficiently to save their developers tons of grief it proves what a kind of rotten company it is (like all the anti-competitive court battles weren't enough). The only department at apple i have respect for is their marketing team that are spoon feeding the sheep what they want to hear...

thorkle

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]blahblahbleck[/nom]just because you're on the other side of a fence doesn't mean you aren't sheep[/citation]
When you are the one fenced in it does though.

v90k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Now if there was a way to circumvent music purchases I would bet that there would be a fix tomorrow.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]thorkle[/nom]When you are the one fenced in it does though.[/citation]

Not when many on here are an active sheep behind Google. It's just a matter of which herder you happen to follow.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]JeTJL[/nom]Android users can side load apks, and recently one company made one of their games free to play citing that people were pirating the game. Companies should get their DRM straight and unobtrusive, or not use it at all and just make all games free to play.[/citation]
People are pirating android games because of DRM issues? I think not...

Re. free-to-play, where does the revenue come from to support the developers? I don't buy or play many games on my phone or tablet, but ads in "free" games are getting more and more obtrusive. I could see myself preferring to buy something as opposed to putting up with ads--if I cared enough about the game/app, that is.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
people are just missing the point and are so blind to hate apple that if you are not a developer, you don't see the real issue. No matter if you like apple, android, wp, bOS, the results are the same, if you are developing and all it takes is a proxy server entry to break the code, you are not getting paid. As a developer, I would want to hunt you down and destroy every piece of hardware you own and then destroy your personal property for trying to take away my hard work.

To put it more bluntly, let call your employer and tell them you are now willing to work completely for free without pay because you feel you should not be paid for your work.

thorkle

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Not when many on here are an active sheep behind Google. It's just a matter of which herder you happen to follow.[/citation]
I agree with you to an extent. The only problem is there are many exceptions including myself. I like Google best because they are the only other competitor that comes close to rivalling the number of available apps that apple has. If windows phone 7 had more developer support I'd be all over it, but unfortunately I have to stick with Google. I for one would much rather have more choice which is what Google provides. Apple has much higher fences. If apple provided what I wanted for a better price I would go with them, but they don't so I go with the only better option.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
One thing I'm confused about is how having a dev use their own server for validation would help vs. if they used an Apple server for validation. I guess I don't understand how this crack/exploit works.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]thorkle[/nom] If windows phone 7 had more developer support I'd be all over it, but unfortunately I have to stick with Google. I for one would much rather have more choice which is what Google provides. Apple has much higher fences. If apple provided what I wanted for a better price I would go with them, but they don't so I go with the only better option.[/citation]Yeah, I know I always pick the platform with the most farting apps. Only having 3 apps that do the same thing is also a serious no-no. Not to mention that Apple devices are just so expensive, even though there are much bigger issues you should be concerned about other than a few dollars difference up front. But it's just the money, if they were cheaper I wouldn't care about how they do business. /sarcasm

Status
Not open for further replies.