Apple Takes a Swing at Microsoft's $300 Million Campaign

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michcato

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
Unfortunately, the quips about Vista have a ring of truth to them. It looks nice, but it takes twice as long to start up as XP, runs noticably slower, needs twice as much memory, and doesn't seem to do anything extra. What a rip off. No doubt it takes 300m and a name change to get people to forget that. I've been lied to by Msoft so many times that I have zero sympathy for them now. Still, looking at those adverts, I'm too old, and just not arty enough to own a mac!

LAN_deRf_HA

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
The foundation of the advert is all off. Just about every vista problem these days is from user error or do to a misunderstanding of how vista works.

G

Macs are nice because they look nice on the outside but are a load of sh*t on the inside. I cant stand mac fanboys who think that they paid good money for a good product when I can do just as many things on a pc for 1/4 of the price of a mac and even perform some thing better! Apple needs to stop the commercial bullsh*t. I laughed at the first Apple commercial I saw, thinking that Apple has to try to reduce PC's in order to sell its product. I dont see microsoft making commercials bashing macs all the time.

G

@michcato:
have you ever used Vista? Maybe on build 6000 Vista was 'noticably slower' but since SP1 was released, it takes about as long as XP to start up (I wish it fast quite faster) and barley runs slower than XP. However keep this in mind, Vista ISNT perfect, XP ISNT perfect, MACS ARE PERFECT! STEVE JOBS IS THE ALL MIGHTY GOD! ALL HEIL APPLE! ^_^ I hate Apple. Vista will take time and money to improve and eventually make faster than XP (I get 48FPS on Crysis in Vista and 53 on XP) But the difference isnt that much, a home user will barley notice the difference; the gamer, enthusiast will though; which is why many custom build their machines. Vista is a resource hog but honestly, who can't afford 20 bucks for 1gb of ram if they REALLY need it?

G

Love hearing the M$ fan boys complain about the funny Apple ads. Poor, poor M$ with their 90+ percent market share, being portrayed in an unfavorable light by a much smaller company. I'd be more sympathetic if Windows wasn't such crap. Not that I think Macs are the answer, but I'd prefer more competition.

rattyuk

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
@LAN_deRf_HA

"Just about every vista problem these days is from user error or do to a misunderstanding of how vista works."

Do you really think that? What you are basically saying is that the OS is not designed well enough for people to use. So, all of Microsoft's development time - what was it? 6 years? was spent designing something that the user doesn't understand? Don't you see what is wrong with your argument? Don't you see what is wrong with an OS that works in a way that the "target audience" doesn't understand?

One would have thought that if Microsoft HAD done their homework these "user problems" wouldn't arise.

G

I want a system thats nice... functional... has "gaming" features... fast... and isn't a OS designed for idiots... AKA Apples OS X and MS's Vista... both are oriented to idiots... in Vista however... you can turn that crap off in OS X its just part of the system... thats why so many of my friends like it because its easy... who cares if they pay more for worse hardware... or the ability to not learn how to do anything yourself... I mean really... I'd love to be stupid... hehe

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
I find the commercials funny. Apple seems to think that they can scare people away from PC’s. I find it laughable. Laughable, just like when a new Mac user goes to buy a video game. Apple is hoping that there are more ignorant people than informed people.

Just talk to any Mac user. They will spend most of their time justifying why they made a good decision and why you should also buy a Mac. Take your shoes off and drink the kool-aid. This is not a shot at the Mac OS but the average Mac user.

I believe that Apple is shooting themselves in the foot. When you market to people of lesser intelligence you are lowering the collective I.Q. of your average end user. Eventually the average Mac user will have to find a PC guy to hook up their Internet and download the latest crazy Mac game.

I honestly hope that Apple increases their market share. Microsoft needs some competition. Microsoft’s monopoly is not good for the consumer.

I have a PC ( a highly overclocked PC ) because I play games.

I am an IT guy would works with both Macs and PC’s and I prefer the PC at work and at play. Most users drive me nuts but the Mac users are worse than the PC users because

And Macs don’t get viruses because nobody wants to bother. This is because of Apple’s small market share not because of a superior product.

If I was ignorant and was in the market for a computer, I would want to know what your company did well, not what the competition does poorly. I’m buying a computer not voting for the president.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
I doubt MS, as the market leader, would bother slap Apple. By slapping Apple, MS recognize Apple as a legitimate competitor instead of a fad.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
Sorry for the unfinished sentence.

Most users drive me nuts, but the Mac users are worse than the PC user because they feel superior ( thank you Apple for making my job tougher)

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Apple’s new ads have taken things to a whole new bitchy level.

'nuff said.

The rebuttal to this article should be "Microsoft takes a bite out of Apple's new advertisement"
C'mon that's just gold.

O and, how many people here still have problems with vista? I've heard nothing but pluses for a few months now...

Chipi

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
I can't believe that most people haven't figured it out yet. It was clear from the beginning, right down from the first clip (yes, the one with the shoes).
THIS CAMPAIGN IS NOT ABOUT VISTA!

Jerry: Are they ever gonna come out with something that will make our computers moist and chewy like cake, so we can just eat them while we're working? If it's "yes", give me a signal...

The G man shook his ass, and as if it wasn't clear enough, out came "THE FUTURE" - "DELICIOUS"

Come on people! They're talking about Windows 7!!!

I guess M$ aimed too high for your average user, but I would expect at least news editors would catch on. :(

All Apple did was to show they're not the sharpest tool...
How are they gonna compete if they can't even see the true meaning of a commercial?

G

Macs really are kinda nice... except for the fact... once you get over how pretty it looks... its completely useless... I don't know how my friends do it... they are always like... weird i payed X amount for this computer and yet it still can't play BLA BLA BLA game by (insert developer here) its laughable but sad...

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
[citation][nom]thogrom[/nom]i actually think they are pretty funny... who cares if they aren't accurate... most people aren't THAT stupid... so they can't make huge mistakes if they aren't that stupid... however... people who really buy into these adds are stupid... so idk...[/citation]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuhYsbT7Kq4

Most people aren't stupid. They are just busy.

CChick

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
Thats just some new low for Apple.

Most Apple fanboi/girls still dont realized that their "beloved superior Mac" are in fact PC. just with different boot code. even before Apple kiss Intel's ass Apple has been "stealing" PCs OUTDATED technology for years ! rofl.

So superior ... yep ... right ...

G

I applaud Apple because of their products but the commercials are just low and unfair. Not the best way to beat your opponents. Just keep coming out with slick products :)

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
[citation][nom]TooMuchNegativity[/nom]Looks like Apple took a page from the McCain playbook[/citation]

Seriously...such a new low...generally anything that promotes further ignorance is a bad thing, really it doesn't matter how fun it is. [not saying I'm not laughing, but ignorance is a terrible terrible virus...]

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
desperate moves by Apple, tsk..tsk.
if only they'd sell things cheaper and lower their profit margins and being open, then they can get the marketshare. i can get emotional and try those pretty Apple's weren't for the prices.
still don't understand why there's a lot of people hating windows vista. i'm using it and feels bloated compared to xp. additional memory could minimize the effect.
i still remember the days of win95,it's pretty and revolutionary but it was too unreliable.
this is pc/windows world,can't get everything for such a jack of all trades.

miltoxbeyond

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
Vista really isn't as bad as people make it out to be.
I run Vista x64 with 4gigs of ram and it runs fast as hell.
The User Account Control thing that people complain about is actually extremely useful to prevent spyware and other crap that has plagued XP.

Apple computers are nice, but they aren't worth the price. The only good Macs are the Pro Desktops though, since they actually have horsepower and graphical power. I worked for a corporation in Orlando as a web developer and was the only one who knew how to use a mac so they put me at that station with a mac and a pc, the mac having one of those real nice 30" cinema displays

Status
Not open for further replies.