Apple Takes the Stage to Unveil New iPad and More

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
[citation][nom]perry71979684[/nom]my roomate's aunt brought home $17084 last week. she is getting paid on the internet and got a $515800 condo. All she did was get fortunate and use the instructions laid out on this website -- CRAP[/citation]
For someone who brings home over 17K a week, buying only a 500K condo seems really strange... for that much income, you could have done soooo much better - in the least, you could have got something with land. To each his own, I guess.

G

Apple just released a product years ahead of others in technology (just like Apple always does with EVERY product launch)!

I will be in line on March 16th, Starbucks in hand, listening to some Jack Johnson and Bruno Mars on my iPhone, eagerly waiting to get my hands on this guy!

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Unless Apple actually decides to try some better business practices and/or has a product with a fair price for what it can do, I don't think I'll be buying from them. Fortunately for my wallet, they probably won't do something so "revolutionary" that I have to have it and I'm not flying off to San Fransisco to find out.Say, who knows why the iPad may have outsold any particular PC's sales? Well, it might be because there are only two or three versions of the iPad, but thousands, maybe tens of thousands, of different PCs. Also, each version of the iPad is not a product competing with the others, it is a replacement. Android tablets are often not that great except for the stuff like Amazon's Kindles, so the iPad has little direct competition too.Many different PCs with many different specifications are not really comparable to a few iPad versions in this context. I bet if you went with the total number of PCs versus the total number of iPads, the PCs would win easily. Same if you go for laptops, but maybe not netbooks. Point is that it's not directly comparable markets right now so saying the iPad is better in this way is extremely misleading, not that Apple minds misleading people around every corner that gives them more money.I can buy a decent PC for $500 or so. How much would a comparable Mac cost? Probably upwards of $900 to $1500, maybe more depending on the PC in question. The only way to run Mac OSX with a reasonable price tag is to build a Hackintosh and that's something that Apple isn't very supportive of. When you think about it, you can run pretty much ANY other OS without such limitations beyond not cracking proprietary operating systems. Honestly, Microsoft doesn'treally care if I'm running retail Windows on a home built machine or OEM Windows on a pre-built machine, I can do pretty much whatever I want publicly on it through examples, guides, etc, without Microsoft complaining, but if you make a guide for a Hackintosh, Apple hates you. I can also make my own computer for pretty much any other OS including Linux/Unix/BSD derivatives and more so long as the hardware will run it, no one will complain, it's ONLY Apple.[/citation]

Actually, Microsoft does complain about OEM copies. If you re-install a OEM version of Windows on same machine with slightly different hardware configuration. Like a new video card for example. After a certain period of time they will not activate the install and you have to call Microsoft directly. I ran into this several times which is why I buy retail versions now.

In terms of Hackintosh. Apple does not support it but if you want to build one they do not bother you about activation or even require a cd-key. It just installs. The only real issue is that you have to make sure that your hardware is supported but there are community websites that have that information. Now that UEFI bioses are prevalent you can install it right from the DVD/USB without having to do any patching of the ISO. Gigabyte boards tend to work well with OSX if you are interested in giving it a shot.

Not really a good comparison though in talking about how MS allows you to install Windows vs Apple's OSX. Two very different business model. Last I checked MS never put out their own computers. They just supplied the hardware. Apple is doing everything themselves. Just a different business model.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]igot1forya[/nom]For someone who brings home over 17K a week, buying only a 500K condo seems really strange... for that much income, you could have done soooo much better - in the least, you could have got something with land. To each his own, I guess.[/citation]

It is called living within his means. What is wrong with that?

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
Nothing surprising. Everything was already leaked prior.

Hope to see how it fares the new A5X in benchmarks and battery life against Tegra 3

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
So guys, what do we make of this... 'new' iPad, whatever it's called?

I think it's outrageous that they've managed to cram such a high resolution on this device. There are brand new 50 inch televisions with fewer pixels - crazy! (Lets hope this leads to cheaper high res monitorss)

4G too for you americans, doesn't help us Europeans much yet but I guess will in a year or two.

Quad core graphics, they claim much faster than Tegra 3.... and 9 hours battery life on 4G?

Then better camera... personal hotspot etc...

It all seems quite impressive to me, what do you all think?

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]As long as there are morons they will keep coming.[/citation]
Haters gonna hate. And not even very well either.

kish20

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
Thank god for the 2048 x 1536 resolution. As other manufactures try to compete with this new iPad, they'll hopefully put better screens on theirs too. Now we can finally move away from the shitty 1920x1080 that has plagued our devices for years.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]So guys, what do we make of this... 'new' iPad, whatever it's called?I think it's outrageous that they've managed to cram such a high resolution on this device. There are brand new 50 inch televisions with fewer pixels - crazy! (Lets hope this leads to cheaper high res monitorss)4G too for you americans, doesn't help us Europeans much yet but I guess will in a year or two.Quad core graphics, they claim much faster than Tegra 3.... and 9 hours battery life on 4G?Then better camera... personal hotspot etc...It all seems quite impressive to me, what do you all think?[/citation]

There is something to be said about the 9 hours of battery on 4g. Allot of people may not realize that but that is significant. Most current devices when having 4g on has their batteries crushed. That is why people turn it off unless they need it.

Lekko

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
I'm in the market for a tablet. Love the screen, love the battery, hate the company and the OS and I want an active digitizer. Looks like I'll be passing on this.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]billybobser[/nom]$99 for a TV? Even I'd endure an Apple OS for an LCD tv at that price.[/citation]
It's a set top box, not a TV.

subaru41

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
[citation][nom]watche[/nom]Did anybody else get a major hard on watching the the conference live? I had to whip out a picture of Steve Jobs to relieve myself.[/citation]

LOL! LOL!

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
At the very least, it puts pressure on the console companies, in my view, as their wares are getting bested by a fairly small portable device.

Status
Not open for further replies.