Apple Takes the Stage to Unveil New iPad and More

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Apple nab a guy for his Hackintosh? It was a more complicated problem and I don't remember exactly why they yelled at him, but it was related to his hackintosh.Sure, if you reinstall OEM Windows then you might have a problem, but why are you reinstalling it? Virus problem or something similar? If you sort it out with MS, then it's an inconvenience. If Apple tries to screw you over like they did with the guy I mentioned (sorry I don't remember more, it was in the news of several sites, I think Tom's included last year or so), then it's more than just an inconvenience.Yes, it's two different business models (you mean MS supplies software, I think you did a typo at the end of your post), but that's not the problem. MS supports retail and OEM machines as proven by them resolving the issue with a reinstalled OEM Windows. Apple, on the other hand, doesn't. I am quite convinced that it's simply because you didn't pay for the way overpriced hardware they want you to buy.You make a very good point, but MS isn't complaining about you having an OEM copy, the copy is complaining if it's reinstalled. If you simply buy the machine and don't need to reinstall it, then it's not a problem. Apple is the same in this regard (as far as I'm aware), they don't hate you for buying their own hardware with OSX preloaded, but unlike MS, they don't like you making your own system and installing the OS on your home built system. Sure, different business models, but that doesn't excuse it.[/citation]

Would not surprise me if that happened. Steve was always very passionate about Apple Not many CEO's the kind of day to day personal attachment with all things related to the company they run. It was his baby. I do know that there was Psystar that created a business around building hackintoshs and that did not go very well. It is just not Apple's business model. There terms of use policy explicitly states how the software is meant to be used. If Steve was pissed because someone used it in a away that goes against their business then fine. I am not sure that is anything to hold against him. There is allot of people that wish Apple followed Microsoft's model but their model seems to work fine for them.

Well one, I do not think the reason why I decided to reinstall and app or a OShas anything to do with the fact that on the OEM version does not activate after a few reinstall or hardware changes. If you must know though, I spend allot of money on my equipment. I use to build a new box every single year and if I didn't I would be upgrading major components and once I do that I have to reactivate. In the case of a new motherboard or a new build I would completely re install because Windows history of cleaning up after itself is terrible when you swap hardware never mind the registry stuff after you run through different applications.

I am a bit of a perfectionist so I do not mind reloading fresh and re installing everything when. I bought OEM version all the way up to Vista. Then I got a copy of Vista ultimate retail from the Microsoft store for $30 dollars or something and never looked back. Bought retail of Windows 7 and never had the problem.

It terms of their business model does not excuse it, sure it does. Are you saying that they have no right to want the software that they created or aquired to be used on systems they designed. That is like saying that there is no excuse for Microsoft to not support Internet Explorer on Linux or there is no excuse for the XBox to not be able to play PS3 games. It is not their business model. Sure they can technically do it and support it but that is not their business model. Does not mean they are wrong for building their solution or their support organization that way. So if you want to run it, no one is stopping you and you will still get the OS updates and everything (which you won't on Windows if you don't activate.), they just won't provide support. Support outside of hardware replacement for technical guys like yourself or I is not used anyway.

When you make a purchase you are legally bound by the terms of use. All manufacturers have it on install. If you decide not to abide by the terms of use then you can expect not to be supported on your usage that is outside of a supported configuration. It is what it is. If I where to figure out how to load Windows 7 on my Touchpad and call Microsoft because I can't get the touchscreen to work they would say sorry, we can not help you. It is not a supported device and there are no drivers. Does that make them wrong. Nope.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]Would not surprise me if that happened. Steve was always very passionate about Apple Not many CEO's the kind of day to day personal attachment with all things related to the company they run. It was his baby. I do know that there was Psystar that created a business around building hackintoshs and that did not go very well. It is just not Apple's business model. There terms of use policy explicitly states how the software is meant to be used. If Steve was pissed because someone used it in a away that goes against their business then fine. I am not sure that is anything to hold against him. There is allot of people that wish Apple followed Microsoft's model but their model seems to work fine for them.Well one, I do not think the reason why I decided to reinstall and app or a OShas anything to do with the fact that on the OEM version does not activate after a few reinstall or hardware changes. If you must know though, I spend allot of money on my equipment. I use to build a new box every single year and if I didn't I would be upgrading major components and once I do that I have to reactivate. In the case of a new motherboard or a new build I would completely re install because Windows history of cleaning up after itself is terrible when you swap hardware never mind the registry stuff after you run through different applications. I am a bit of a perfectionist so I do not mind reloading fresh and re installing everything when. I bought OEM version all the way up to Vista. Then I got a copy of Vista ultimate retail from the Microsoft store for $30 dollars or something and never looked back. Bought retail of Windows 7 and never had the problem.It terms of their business model does not excuse it, sure it does. Are you saying that they have no right to want the software that they created or aquired to be used on systems they designed. That is like saying that there is no excuse for Microsoft to not support Internet Explorer on Linux or there is no excuse for the XBox to not be able to play PS3 games. It is not their business model. Sure they can technically do it and support it but that is not their business model. Does not mean they are wrong for building their solution or their support organization that way. So if you want to run it, no one is stopping you and you will still get the OS updates and everything (which you won't on Windows if you don't activate.), they just won't provide support. Support outside of hardware replacement for technical guys like yourself or I is not used anyway.When you make a purchase you are legally bound by the terms of use. All manufacturers have it on install. If you decide not to abide by the terms of use then you can expect not to be supported on your usage that is outside of a supported configuration. It is what it is. If I where to figure out how to load Windows 7 on my Touchpad and call Microsoft because I can't get the touchscreen to work they would say sorry, we can not help you. It is not a supported device and there are no drivers. Does that make them wrong. Nope.[/citation]

No, saying it's their business model does not excuse it. It's Apple's "business model" to screw everyone they can too, that's not excused just because it's a business model. What are you complaining about OEM Windows for when you should obviously just build your own machine and use retail from the start if you are such a perfectionist? Sure, it's a problem, but if you do what you say you do then I don't see why ti would be problematic for you.

Also, no it's NOT realistically possible for the Xboxs to run Play Station games, completely different processor architectures. Microsoft and Linux are competing OS,s they don't need to support each other in any way anymore than OSX should need to support Windows and the other way around too. If Microsoft makes IE for Windows, then they wouldn't have any excuse for not supporting it on Windows.

Just because it's legal for them to be assholes doesn't mean we should like them being assholes. Did you know it's also legal for me to protest funerals and the like? That it's legal for me to do something wrong doesn't mean it's the ethical for me to do crap like that crappy church that hates on gay people and soldiers funerals and such. OSX is not supported on non-Apple hardware (and you can get in trouble with Apple for certain related reasons too) ONLY because Apple wants you to buy overpriced hardware that generates almost pure profits for them. Unlike the poor Touchpad example you tried, the other hardware is perfectly compatible, Apple just doesn't like it when people aren't willing to pay exorbitant prices for it.

MS not supporting a touchpad is because it is a completely different device with different components. If it were hardware compatible, then you can bet that MS would have support for it and even if they didn't, they wouldn't call for legal action for you doing it. MS is obviously not innocent, but Apple, amazingly, manages to be even worse than an already pretty poor company. Regardless of how much money MS demands for their considerably poor OSs (in some ways, bloat, security, etc), Apple demands far more for their products. A Mac can cost more than twice as much as a PC with relatively identical hardware.

You're trying, but not succeeding here. No disrespect, but there is NO excuse for Apple's actions, but the same is true for MS and the other companies. The problem lies with Apple being even worse than the other companies. Like I said, no matter how much other companies try to rip us off, Apple outdoes them and sues EVERYONE, often for very frivolous crap too.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]It's a set top box, not a TV.[/citation]
Apple TV is a little misleading then, in previous posts by Tom's I was under the impression Apple were due to release an Apple branded hardware+service for Megabucks.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]i dont think itll have much of a performance boost with that res.[/citation]

The performance boost is the higher resolution.

Most devices can hit 60 fps because they have software/apps designed for that.

With the new resolution and GPU, they can achieve 60 fps but at far higher qualities. V-Sync limits to 60 fps anyway.

clivene09

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
[citation][nom]AAPLPRIUS[/nom]Apple just released a product years ahead of others in technology (just like Apple always does with EVERY product launch)!I will be in line on March 16th, Starbucks in hand, listening to some Jack Johnson and Bruno Mars on my iPhone, eagerly waiting to get my hands on this guy![/citation]
Say hi to the Samsung guy for me

clivene09

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]There is something to be said about the 9 hours of battery on 4g. Allot of people may not realize that but that is significant. Most current devices when having 4g on has their batteries crushed. That is why people turn it off unless they need it.[/citation]
I do turn my 4G off when im at work to save battery unless I need it. This is because if I leave it on for a full 8 hour shift, plus 1 hour lunch, which if you do the math, is 9 hours, I don't have much battery left at the end of the day. Still, im getting 9 hours of 4G battery time already, so I am not sure why this is so ground breaking.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]clivene09[/nom]I do turn my 4G off when im at work to save battery unless I need it. This is because if I leave it on for a full 8 hour shift, plus 1 hour lunch, which if you do the math, is 9 hours, I don't have much battery left at the end of the day. Still, im getting 9 hours of 4G battery time already, so I am not sure why this is so ground breaking.[/citation]

With which product?

Status
Not open for further replies.