Apple Tells UPS to Hold iPhone 3G S Shipments

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tank

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]Both Tom's Guide and Giz are consumer electronics/technology blogs.[/citation]

You have said that on like three other threads now. Again that is not the point of the threads, to state what other web sites are doing.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]tank[/nom]You have said that on like three other threads now. Again that is not the point of the threads, to state what other web sites are doing.[/citation]

Then talk to the dude who brought up Gizmodo in the first place.

biometricsguy

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]@ AntilycusWhy would own three macs if you think that they suck?? That doesn't even make sense. Being a dual user with a homebuild for gaming and power and a macbook for traveling it is clear that neither brand "sucks".A mac is overpriced but not a crappy product. Look at the base Macbook; 2.13 GHz, 2 GB's of RAM and 9400M graphics. Explain what sucks about that hardware. The 9400M is by far the best integrated chipset getting about the same fps in COD4 that my old ATI X1600 had a few years ago. Macs are expensive but very streamlined in their OS, allow to instantly connect to pretty much anything (phone, network, etc.) have zero startup apps and widget things - meaning fast startups and shutdowns, and don't get any viruses yet, so I can browse anywhere and download anything without fear. In a few years this won't be true though.The PC on the other hand has some great advantages. Bang for your Buck, overclocking (running my e6300 wolfdale at 4 GHz), the latest hardware, pretty much every game, driect x instead of OpenGL (although OpenGL could be a lot better if people coded for it, look at ET: Quake Wars, an OpenGL game). My Homebuild with a Gigabyte EP35-UD3R , E6300 @ 4 GHz (400*10) , GTX 260 , 4 GB's of DDR2, and windows 7 cost less then my macbook. Both companies macs and PC's are both very different and very good.[/citation]

Hate to say it, but overpriced does translate to "crappy", at least in my mind. While the hardware in your macbook isn't anything to sneeze at, how much more could you have got at the same price point if you would have bought a regular laptop? Now compare the two. Suddenly, the macbook seems like a POS. It's the comparison.

Also, macs are not immune to viruses, even today. If they were, then there would be no need to sell anti-virus software for macs. In my somewhat limited experience with macs (generally I try to avoid them), I have seen a virus on a mac on two occasions now. Personally, I haven't had a virus on my PC in nearly a decade. It's not the OS that causes virus threats, its the people using them.

I keep being duped by my mac friends into trying out their new shiny computers. They'll say "this is great because it has iThis and iThat", and I keep being entirely unimpressed. Am I the only one who thinks leopard is a cheap rip-off of linux with a few new bells and whistles? Honestly, I just don't see what the hipe is all about.

If I ever see anything on the mac that is truly innovative, I'll be happy to reconsider. However, I have yet to see anything remarkable on the mac that I can't get on my PC (and usually for free). So, frankly, for the time being, iMac can kiss my iAss.

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]biometricsguy[/nom]Am I the only one who thinks leopard is a cheap rip-off of linux with a few new bells and whistles? Honestly, I just don't see what the hipe is all about.[/citation]

You can say that until you get educated... It's based on FreeBSD and NetBSD. The operating system is more efficient then most, sure it might not support all the games you want to play, but popularity does not equal quality.

It's not easy to try something a couple times after being used to using something else and have a honest and unbiased opinion of it. I use both, but I did not spend an arm and a leg on a Mac, I just made a hackintosh on a $500 refurb notebook and it's great.

I still have an XP machine as my desktop for games and a vista x64 machine for a mediacenter. If I had to compare quality in those I'd say Vista was the polished turd.

BTW, "hipe" is not a word, think your trying to say "hype". Use Firefox it has spell check and you won't make an "iAss" of yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.