Apple to Battle Google for Smart Home Supremacy

Status
Not open for further replies.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
If it's not Tony Stark's J.A.R.V.I.S. then just don't bother - how is turning on my lights with an iPad any better than pressing a switch? if Apple don't fully integrate Siri then it's a waste of time.

And arguably is still a waste of time anyway.

The problem with smarthome tech thus far is that it costs a lot of money and doesn't really do much of anything. Ooh some lights turn on automatically. Plus I can flip them on and off when I'm not home and screw around with the thermostat and water heater. That was worth hundreds or thousands of dollars. Versus all the effort of flipping a switch.

When people think of smarthomes. They want the kitchen and bathrooms to clean themselves. A robotic vacuum that does floors and stairs, gets corners and under the edges of furniture, plus be a full sized vacuum with the suction of a Kirby not a little thing that uses batteries. Something that does your laundry including folding and hanging.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
I was thinking more along the lines of that scene in Back to the Future where the toast makes itself, bacon and eggs drop on the fry pan, the dog food can opens itself... etc. More realistically though, curtains or blinds that open remotely, lights are a given, temperature control, and perhaps music following you around your house. It's all so expensive either way.

Kayo Kahn

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
I must be missing something. So this feature can be defeated easily by doing a hardware factory reset? Why Apply or the carrier customer support can not unlock the phone if it can verify the true ownership of the phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.