Apple to Improve Security Following Celeb Selfie Thefts

Status
Not open for further replies.

iogbrideau

Estimable
May 28, 2014
Apple is late compared to the others, as usual. MS and Google had the "two factor" verification for years. It's also pretty easy to say that most of it was social engineering, it's been the most vulnerable way of getting information for a long time, as anyone in the security field knows.

apone

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
I'm confused then Mr. Cook; if security was not the reason for the iCloud breach, then why beef up security? (/end sarcasm)

Reminds me of the iPhone antenna gate issue when Apple basically said there's no problem (you're holding it wrong) and then proceeded to issue out free iPhone bumpers.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Notifying people when their data is changed/accessed is great and everything, but that wouldn't have prevented the data from leaking.

Matt Brown

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013
I'm confused then Mr. Cook; if security was not the reason for the iCloud breach, then why beef up security? (/end sarcasm)

Reminds me of the iPhone antenna gate issue when Apple basically said there's no problem (you're holding it wrong) and then proceeded to issue out free iPhone bumpers.

To you Apple haters/MS fanboys (I am a Linux guy, but I support an enterprise environment comprised of Ubuntu/Debian, various flavors of Windows and also OS X workstations and servers on a daily basis):

What would you EXPECT from any large computer & software manufacturer in the wake of a major digital security breach? Your answer should be 'beefing up security! Oh, and maybe even an official announcement with details!!' Even if Apple is lying, and the breaches WERE the fault of bad security software, and NOT just bad security practices, don't you think it's in everyone's best interest to make security updates a priority?

Also, don't forget the years and years of MS's 'dows getting hit left and right thru security vulnerabilities in its built-in software. Android has also had its share of security breaches - you can even Google it, if you feel so inclined.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010

To you Apple haters/MS fanboys (I am a Linux guy, but I support an enterprise environment comprised of Ubuntu/Debian, various flavors of Windows and also OS X workstations and servers on a daily basis):

What would you EXPECT from any large computer & software manufacturer in the wake of a major digital security breach? Your answer should be 'beefing up security! Oh, and maybe even an official announcement with details!!' Even if Apple is lying, and the breaches WERE the fault of bad security software, and NOT just bad security practices, don't you think it's in everyone's best interest to make security updates a priority?

Also, don't forget the years and years of MS's 'dows getting hit left and right thru security vulnerabilities in its built-in software. Android has also had its share of security breaches - you can even Google it, if you feel so inclined.
Problem here is Apple's knee-jerk answer on the line of "not our fault", before making any security upgrades. They insisted it was not a security breach - even though it was, clear as day - for a few days before the sh1t really hit the fan and they HAD to do something about it.

axeman1000

Estimable
Sep 5, 2014
how nice to finally say this to this company....too little too late timmy!!!! Your now the oldest most unsecure os in the cell phone industry!!! Blackberry kicks your butt in security and productivity, android kicks your butt in media and entertainment, and windows kicks your butt because it integrates with domains for business better!!!

After this fiasco it would be foolish to get into the apple garden, people need to realize its not as good as the fad was. the fad is over and people with smarts should be looking for a more secure stable alternative!

Status
Not open for further replies.