Apple Updates Page on iPhone 3GS Temperatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

cregan89

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
My new 3GS gets a little warm but it's definitely nothing to worry about. It's just gets a little warm when playing a game or other intensive tasks. But it's no where close to being uncomfortable to hold hot.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]cregan89[/nom]My new 3GS gets a little warm but it's definitely nothing to worry about. It's just gets a little warm when playing a game or other intensive tasks. But it's no where close to being uncomfortable to hold hot.[/citation]but eventually it will change color. yes, the apple is getting rotten.

RIM > Palm > Apple

Startingline13

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
Ok, so thousands of people complain that the phone gets entirely too hot, some say the plastic starts to melt. What does apple do? Release a statement stating that you should only operate the phone at room temps and not to leave it in your car. And this is why I don't buy apple products.

Alien_959

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
In mu country in a duration of two months temperatures were below 0, sometimes even below -10. In summer they go as high as +40. In many places around the world there are such temperatures. So basically if I buy this phone I can't use at least 4 months. Thanks but no thanks I will stick with my samsung:)

rsud

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]but eventually it will change color. yes, the apple is getting rotten.RIM > Palm > Apple[/citation]

As there are only three comments so far (not counting mine)I would assume you gave a negative mark to cregan89 comment. On what basis?Coward.

rsud

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
[citation][nom]Alien_959[/nom]In mu country in a duration of two months temperatures were below 0, sometimes even below -10. In summer they go as high as +40. In many places around the world there are such temperatures. So basically if I buy this phone I can't use at least 4 months. Thanks but no thanks I will stick with my samsung[/citation]

gee, ever have you cell phone lock up while sking? Or have the same happen with a digital camera? I have. This is normal for electronics in frigid weather. Your solution for cold weather is to keep the device next to your body. The short time that you use it exposed to the cold temp, it will be fine. I suspect this is what you do with your samsung. get a clue.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
Laptops suffer from the same temperature problems, store a lithium battery at 25 F and it will drain down to NOTHING quickly. This is the nature of electronics of all types, why give the iPhone all the attention.

kdw75

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Lock up in cold weather???? Cold weather makes them run better. Haven't you heard of people putting their CPU in the freezer to make it overclock better?

kdw75

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Lock up in cold weather???? Cold weather makes them run better. Haven't you heard of people putting their CPU in the freezer to make it overclock better?

spongebob

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
temps between 0º and 35º C (32º to 95º F)??? I hope that's a conservative range that accouts for heavy battery drain, and not for nominal usage. 95-110F is typical for summer in my part of California. Without any clarification on this I won't be going Apple for my next upgrade. :\

rsud

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
[citation][nom]kdw75[/nom]Lock up in cold weather???? Cold weather makes them run better. Haven't you heard of people putting their CPU in the freezer to make it overclock better?[/citation]

Uh duh.... its the LCD and other electronics that have problems in cold weather.

spongebob

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
Apple recommends that users operate iPhone 3G and 3GS in temperatures between 0º and 35º C (32º to 95º F) and to store in between -20º and 45º C (-4º to 113º F).
I hope the operational recommentation is a conservative range that accouts for heavy battery drain, and not for nominal usage. 95-110F is typical for summer in my part of California. And does that range account for the fact that many phones will be encased in heat trapping skins/jackets? Oh, and summer temps here can push 115, which could preclude me from even carrying my phone on the hotter days. Without any clarification on this, I won't be going Apple for my next upgrade. :\

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
[citation][nom]rsud[/nom]I would assume you gave a negative mark to cregan89 comment. On what basis?Coward.[/citation]

Geez. Chill out man. Not everyone who down rates comments also posts.

[citation][nom]rsud[/nom] I suspect this is what you do with your samsung. get a clue.[/citation]

Now your just being condescending. Get a life.

[citation][nom]startingline13[/nom]Ok, so thousands of people complain that the phone gets entirely too hot, some say the plastic starts to melt. What does apple do? Release a statement stating that you should only operate the phone at room temps and not to leave it in your car. And this is why I don't buy apple products.[/citation]

I agree entirely. The 32 F to 95 F range means that pretty much everyone will have a few months of some or total 3GS failure, whether it gets too hot or too cold. In some places it could be too cold during the winter AND too hot during the summer to use the new iPhone! Terrible....

joemamasmurf

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
D[citation][nom]rsud[/nom]Uh duh.... its the LCD and other electronics that have problems in cold weather.[/citation]
Dropping temperatures slow down particle motion, so this statement makes perfect sense, though to be honest I never thought of that
before

Tedders

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Curnel_D[/nom]"but in reality the company's updated guidelines are commonplace (and common sense) for many electronic devices."This bit right here highlights the whole problem. Apple should know better than to expect it's average customer to have any common sense.[/citation]
Wow, and you are showing a lot yourself there for making a comment like that. Get a clue before you start making ignorant statements.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Nothing wrong with those temperature ranges. Applies to almost any other consumer electronics, though most of the time I see 0C - 40C. The low end is a drag for most batteries, and the high end much limited by the processor, memory and display. Besides, putting any device in the windshield to cook in High Heat (in Vegas?) in Summer kills a large percentage of them. That portion is common sense.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I think I hit a spot with them fanbois.

Apple is a brand labelled on products way overpriced.

I wish Apple would sue somebody for their multi-touch "patent" and the courts will just find the patent invalid for prior art. How the hell is multi-touch on a handheld an Apple innovation? Ridiculous!

Status
Not open for further replies.