Apple Wants to Identify Users By Their Heartbeat

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aaron686

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
[citation][nom]Rab1d-BDGR[/nom]Next generation will have an EEG/fMRI and will block any user who has thoughts which have not been pre-approved by Steve Jobs.[/citation]
Genius!

extremepcs

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
Jobs won't be able to use one then... no heart. He was built by Al Gore in his basement in an effort to siphon even more money from tree huggers.

orionltd

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Maybe if they put a big enough battery they could make it an iDefib device. It can revive a cardiac arrest. Can't you see the commercials for that little feature?

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
Doubt these two Apple patents even work at all...since it has already been proven that you just need an idea to file a patent these days...

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]regulas[/nom]Why do I even post here sometimes with all the Apple haters aka MS fanboys and trolls?I just received a new Macbook Pro a couple of days ago thanks to my cat knocking my drink over on my last laptop while it was running. I was using Ubuntu (for 2 years) and still respect and enjoy Linux. But to come back to OS X and how refined the OS and hardware is, well it is a breath of fresh air, air you MS fanboys will probably never know.I do miss Ubuntu though and plan on dual booting my gaming rig with it and work with WINE to see what I can do with it. With STEAM now supporting OS X and Open GL I see the light for Linux gaming. Maybe one day I can drop the NSA co-authored Windows completely.[/citation]
So because these technologies sound stupid we must be M$ fanboys and trolls??? LAWL!

c0re

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
May I ask how Apple wants to monitor our heartbeats without wearing annoying hardware on our body.

onetwo3

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
[citation][nom]Greg_77[/nom]What if it does not detect a heart beat? Does it defibrillate its user? That could use up the battery fast.[/citation]

Giga LOL :D

anonymous x

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
do you people on the front page honestly think the scientists who design this haven't considered those scenarios already? Even a third grader knows your heartbeat doesn't stay constant...

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]LLJones[/nom]So if I have to dial 911 because my heart rate is up/down/stopped and a ton of adrenalin is pumping through me due to an incident/accident, the phone can take all of this into account and not lock me out??[/citation]

911 calls are usually accepted by any phone in any "blocked" state.

dtq

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006
What would it make of my heart rate variations...

Resting heart rate of 45 (just normal sitting down, never measured whilst sleeping) shooting to 211 during intensive bursts whilst exercising, 205 is my highest "sustainable" pace. With that sort of range, which is outside the norms my heart must cover all sorts of states over the course of a week.

Id be shocked if they had a system that could lock a phone based on a few minutes of readings that wouldnt lock me out at times as well.

Also what about when you hand your phone to a friend to use.

I suspect this patenting is more about future possibilities rather than an upcoming security device. As for mood music based on heart rate Im sure people have been talking about it for cars for some time. Not a new innovation, and Im not convinced that outside the car its that good an idea theres many reasons for heart rate changes, sometimes at high heart rates you might be wanting a song with some energy to help you keep going other times at the same heart rate that same track might be a very very bad idea...

andybird123

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
[citation][nom]montezuma[/nom]That would never happen. All cellular phones must, at all times(aside from mechanical failures and/or absent electrical current) be capable of dialing 911. Even on phones that are nor registered on a network or are missing a SIM card, and/or are locked, they are able to contact the local 911 center.
[/citation]

is this your idea or are you saying phones already do this?
because I have a nokia 5800 and when I take the sim card out i get nothing, not even emergency capability, and when it's locked it won't dial anything either (you have to unlock it to get to the dialler)

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
According to AI, the patent also references another Apple patented technology, which involves your device choosing your media by detecting what mood you're in.
So I'm watching TV, wife comes over to 'go to town' and the channel changes to something exotic. Uh sorry honey it was the phone.
-no thanks

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
"According to AI, the patent also references another Apple patented technology, which involves your device choosing your media by detecting what mood you're in."

Well what if me and my woman are getting a little frisky. I would like to know just what kind of songs or apps it's going to recommend then.

Status
Not open for further replies.