Apple Watch Series 3 Review: Freedom Meets Frustration

immense

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2010
AT&T now offers a new unlimited data plan that included tethering (this was done in response to other carriers offering unlimited data). Your rep should have told you that.. I just swapped from my grandfathered plan to the new unlimited plan and saved $20/mo, got free HBO because I have DirecTV and 10GB/mo of tethering per device.

realnewscollective

Prominent
Sep 28, 2017
I picked up my Apple Watch on the launch date and haven't experienced ANY connectivity issues. Everything worked out of the box including cellular through my t-Mobile account. I upgraded from my Series 1 model without having to reboot or change any settings. Adding it to my t-Mobile account was seamless. They are offering 3-months free and then $10/monthly thereafter. I appreciate you well written review, however, I thought you should know my transition to Series 3 has been perfect.

pdgorton

Prominent
Sep 30, 2017
I collected my watch from Canberra yesterday, paired with my iPhone 6, read a (little ) bit of the user guide, connected with m Telstra account, and it all works as advertised. Delighted.

lumbee1

Prominent
Oct 2, 2017
I have ordered the Series 3 + LTE, but the delivery time has been lengthened, not shortened. Still at least a month. Am considering getting the Apple Watch without LTE instead. But,, that seems anticlimactic. I am buying my first Apple Watch. It was the presence of LTE and newly found semi-independence that convinced me.

I do think $10 per month on a shared plan is too much to charge for service.

pdgorton

Prominent
Sep 30, 2017

jasondavidmcgrath

Prominent
Nov 30, 2017
Great review overall, but I don't agree with your overall rating (lower than the non-GPS?) or the broad recommendation (depends on wants/needs). I can leave my phone at home and still catch an important call or text. I can leave the kiddos home, jog around the block without my phone, and they can reach me. This convenience does come with an extra cost, but that’s the reality of the situation in the wireless world. I think you have to adjust your expectation for this unique category. Certainly you can’t view it as a phone replacement ( how would that even be possible on the screen of this size?). I did have terrible activation issues with AT&T, but I think that is because I have a business account. That part was not cool. Thankfully that's in the past.

Sep 24, 2018
For those of us with budgetary constraints, I think the monthly carrier fee is closer to $14. $ 10 plus administrative fees, taxes, you get it. That’s another $170 a year.